• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Namibia

Yep. I sure did.

This thread is old!! But I see that you're still around.

Vern

I was that first year Pte that ended up on that tour...

6 more months in though and I can get out!!  ;)
There's still a few of the others around that I keep in touch with.

I never see anyone from that tour.  Of course living in Windsor doesn't help.

My Uncle Greg Carey was there, a WO EME type.  He even made the Sentinel - a picture of him in a bazaar of some sort.  He was the last fellow to lower the UN flag over Cdn compound and he kept it.  He gave it to me a few years back during his battle with cancer.

Well, if he took the last flag down ... he was on Roto 1 !! Not many troops made it onto that tour, and it was very short-lived. That's a good thing; SWAPO won the election, end of story.

The shopping was indeed awesome, especially when there's this girl on the bus coming back from Etosha ... who's quite parched and finds solace and refreshemnts in the next little town she makes the driver stop in ... Vern + much wine = shopping with panache!!

I was a Roto Zero type.

Hmmm let's see:

Dan Sullivan is still around;
I think Pedro Rosa is still kicking about the Tor Scots <--- (this one time in Windhoek at the fairgrounds ... I have pictoral proof!);
Kim Lapointe's painting rocks;
Ron Benda just got out;
Ivan F. is kicking LFWA TC;
Nathalie R. is still in;
Brad Denoon's still in;
Karen SXXXXXX is posted somewhere east of Eden right now;
Steve Thompson is out and we still exchange Christmas cards ...

There's a whole bunch still ... it's a small world.

ArmyVern said:
I think Pedro Rosa is still kicking about the Tor Scots <--- (this one time in Windhoek at the fairgrounds ... I have pictoral proof!);

You sure Rosa was a Tor Scot then?

I only remember sending two horse blanket oatmeal savages, John Knell and Bruce Mair. of course I was only the guy who signed off on it so what do I know.  ::)

Bruce is still in AFAIK now gone to the dark side and with the Lincoln and Welland Regt.

Yes Bruce has gone to the dark side and I think is a major now. John Knell I saw about 5 years ago but I am not sure what he is doing now. Sideris was on it of course also and is still a minor Royal not to be confused with the reg force unit.

A very good friend of mine was there - Bob Kaine - he was a Veh Tech, and I believe either a Sergeant or a Warrant on that tour, I'm not sure which Roto he was on, but I think Roto 0 - based on what he's told me about doing recce's for accomodations/workshops etcetera.

If any of you want to contact him, PM me and I'll pass your info on to him.

Roy

Danjanou said:

I only remember sending two horse blanket oatmeal savages, John Knell and Bruce Mair. of course I was only the guy who signed off on it so what do I know.  ::)

Bruce is still in AFAIK now gone to the dark side and with the Lincoln and Welland Regt.

I'm not sure where Pedro was out of way back then, but he is with the Tor Scots now I believe.

Bruce did go to the dark side, as did Kim Lapointe who's now supervising the painting of rocks at 2RCR. He was my MCpl way back when (I was a 1st year Pte on that tour) ... and I believe that he and Pedro were out of the same ResF Unit in TO.

I could be wrong, I'm over the hill in about a week from now.

:'(

Roy Harding said:
A very good friend of mine was there - Bob Kaine - he was a Veh Tech, and I believe either a Sergeant or a Warrant on that tour, I'm not sure which Roto he was on, but I think Roto 0 - based on what he's told me about doing recce's for accomodations/workshops etcetera.

If any of you want to contact him, PM me and I'll pass your info on to him.

Roy

I remember that name, can't put a face to it though. That would have been our tour ... we were living en masse out in the Windhoek fairgrounds ... mixed accomodations. I ended up living up at the orphanage ( go figure eh??  ;D ) once we got it all sorted out though ... but dined with the Aussies ... excellent food there I tell you!!

Danjanou said:

He was a 48th back then.

Just catching up on this thread.
Pedro was the course officer as an MWO on my SLC in Pet in 2003 (04?).  He really has't changed at all. 
Frank Demane (sp?), last I heard was instructing in St Jean, but that was a few years ago. 
Kim LaPointe was in the Lincoln and Wellend back then.
Last thing I heard about Adrian Bushell, although it was 15 years ago, was that he was a stripper in Vancouver.
Ken Willett got out and has a familly and is still in the GTA.
Gerry Davidson was living in a bus in the NWT the last time I heard from him (again, that was a long time ago).

Ahaaaa!! That's why Adrian and I got along so damn famously then!!

Man, I loved that guy. He made a great shopping, dancing, dinner and leave buddy!!

I was with 89CLU (first rotation) in Namibia.  I was based out of Windhoek with Transportation.  Anyone else??

Back