• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Ship!

Cloud Cover

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Reaction score
Thread similar to the one on AFV's, only for naval vessels, including ships, submarines, tenders, landing craft, naval missile systems, specialty naval aircraft not used by other branches of the service, EW gear, naval radars, radio masts, guns, turrets and other weapons mountings. NOTHING OPSEC is to be posted.  If you see something that is OPSEC, beadwindow the post straight to the mods. 

I will start:
Name this ship, what weapon system was it famous for and what was it's fate?

The French submarine Surcouf.  Apparently sunk by "colliding" with an American freighter in 1942.

Sorry forgot the weapon...now it had an 8in gun however it also had an observation plane...so either are unique for a submarine.

Half Full said:
The French submarine Surcouf.  Apparently sunk by "colliding" with an American freighter in 1942.

Sorry, incorrect>> wrong country and class.

Half Full said:
Sorry forgot the weapon...now it had an 8in gun however it also had an observation plane...so either are unique for a submarine.

not an 8" gun, no airplane either.

Correct. The 12 inch gun could be fired under water and lob a 600 pound HE projectile 850 feet. 

Your turn to post...

I can't begin to imagine how hard that would have been on the crew when the pulled the lanyard.

whiskey601 said:
Correct. The 12 inch gun could be fired under water and lob a 600 pound HE projectile 850 feet. 

Your turn to post...
I'm not having any luck copying images over so someone else may feel free. My image would have been of HMS Renown, my favorite WWII warship.

This is supposedly a one of a kind system, although it has many brothers and sisters. What is the name and function of the system and what ship is it allegedly only to be found on?

The weapon is the Russian point defence system called the AK630M1-2 "Roy" tested on the missile boat "P-44".

It is the ancestor of the current AK-630M-2 "Duet". 

To start, I think it's US and the antennae array seems a tad overdone (at least to me). Perhaps an EW ship?

It's the Boston alongside the USS Franklin D Roosevelt...

Back