• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

What have we here:

1280_3162323566363765.jpg

Regards,
ironduke57

Looked for a bit yesterday, but it's not the right roadwheels or front end for an SDKFZ-250 or 251 variant, and the track doesn't look right either. 

I have no idea where to go with it from there.

NS

It is not base on the 250/251 serie´s, but it is german.

Hint: It is findable on IMO well known webpage about german WWII stuff.

Regards,
ironduke57

3.7cm Selbstfahrlafette L/70

In early 1935, Waffenamt ordered Rheinmetall-Borsig to develop 37mm L/70 self-propelled gun. It was to be mounted in a new vehicle based on the chassis of 3-ton Hansa-Loyd-Goliath Zugkraftwagen. Armament consisted of 37mm L/70 gun and two 7.92mm MG 34, mounted in a turret. Only single prototype was produced in late 1936 and was extensively tested by the cavalry units.

37mm_1.jpg

So, on the presumption that I got it right, here's an obscure museum piece...

gun%20tank.jpg

Hope it's harder for you guys to find this time than my last ones!

NS

Landsverk Anti II. In Finnish Service

Swedish company Landsverk developed L-62 design during 1941-42 by lengthening the hull of the L-60/m-36 tank (see HU010 Toldi) and mounting the excellent 40mm Bofors anti-aircraft cannon (40 ItK/38). In 1942 Finland purchased six and used them in an anti aircraft battery attached to their armoured brigade.

Hungary also used a variation on the Ost front known as the Nimrod.

Some better pictures

ps1.jpg

Anti.JPG

That one should have been obscure, however by fluck one of the refernce books I use for WW2 wargaming was sitting reight beside the computer. When I saw the hooked cross on the tank beside it....easy.  8)

Give me a bit. so I can try and stump you guys.

Real easy ones so I’ll try two. Extra point for what army, when where etc.

pig.jpg

and

Spa-T26.jpg

The vehicle looks like something cobbled together by the emerging state of Israel .... but the tire treads look more recent - like something out of South Africa or Rhodesia...

Some similarities to the Rhodesian Bullet (IFV)

This strange vehicle was a one-off example,  built by intrepid Selous Scouts engineers and it began life as a Unimog.  The design was copied from a West German APC and the vehicle saw service exclusively with the famed Selous Scouts regiment.   The vehicle was not mine protected, but certainly had ballistic protection against all small arms fire.  The weapons visible are Belgian belt-fed 7.62mm MAG light machine guns.  Photo credit: Chick Van Moerkerken.

Rhodesian

Both ZANLA and ZIPRA forces made extensive use of  anti-tank landmines and the Rhodesian authorities soon began to look for ways to counter the troop and equipment losses that land mine blasts and vehicle ambushes were beginning to have.  Mandatory, comprehensive sanctions  applied against the Rhodesian government by the United Nations made it impossible for the Rhodesians to acquire suitable armoured vehicles, so vehicles were designed and produced locally.

How about...............

What is it, what was it derived from and who made/operated them
(or was this a one of?)

geo said:
This strange vehicle was a one-off example,  built by intrepid Selous Scouts engineers and it began life as a Unimog.  The design was copied from a West German APC and the vehicle saw service exclusively with the famed Selous Scouts regiment.   The vehicle was not mine protected, but certainly had ballistic protection against all small arms fire.  The weapons visible are Belgian belt-fed 7.62mm MAG light machine guns.  Photo credit: Chick Van Moerkerken.

Correct Geo based (without authorization) on the German UR416 and used extensively by the Selou’s Scouts.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.africancrisis.org/images/pig.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.africancrisis.org/photos6.asp&h=359&w=500&sz=25&hl=en&start=17&tbnid=nPiJKpYr9dd1LM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drhodesian%2Barmour%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

I've also fixed the second pic.

geo said:
How about...............

What is it, what was it derived from and who made/operated them
(or was this a one of?)

Rhodesian Security Forces Kudu

Developed locallyfrom a land rover. Preceding versions were the Pookie, Leopard, Cougar, and Rhino. Users including the Rhodesian Army and BSAP, during the Bush War.

http://www.africancrisis.org/photos5.asp

Back