• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name tags for TPS

zipperhead_cop said:
Thus, at an expense of around $40,000 we were all issued three digit "patrol" numbers, which are sewn on our uniforms and jackets.  No, I am not making this shite up. 

Who got 007 and I hope 666 went to some well serving member in professional standards.  ;D

When Correctional Service of Canada changed uniforms(similar toCBPSA) we were supposed to be issued a numbered badge to be worn on the shirt.That changed and we we issued it in a wallet with the ID  card.  I'd prefer the number only but with the way our service interpets disclosure we have to identify ourselves by rank and name on all official reports and documents anyway.

whiskey601 said:
Who got 007 and I hope 666 went to some well serving member in professional standards.  ;D

Hah!  The numbers started at 100 and went up.  666 hasn't been issued yet, but will be up probably in two years.  There are ones out there that are 123 and 469.  Some of the numbers are funny when you look at the corresponding section of the Criminal Code that they relate to.  Sucks to be officer 151 and 152  ;D

On a serious note, what's the issue with names on your uniform?

zipperhead_cop said:
Hah!  The numbers started at 100 and went up.  666 hasn't been issued yet, but will be up probably in two years.  There are ones out there that are 123 and 469.  Some of the numbers are funny when you look at the corresponding section of the Criminal Code that they relate to.  Sucks to be officer 151 and 152  ;D

i would think 155 and 159 would get a bit of teasing as well  ;D

And how Ironic would it be if Officer 162 was part of an undercover survelance team?

Red 6 said:
On a serious note, what's the issue with names on your uniform?

Many officers don't want the general public to have access to our names for personal security reasons.  Albeit that if someone puts their mind to it they can find out, but at least whoever is inquiring will create a trail of traceability to a certain extent.  Retaliation against officers is becoming more common, with organized crime photographing officers families and homes/ cars being fire bombed. 
Using visible numbers to represent ourselves is the compromise from not wearing name tags.

Now that I look back at this thread, I see that bitterntwisted chose to not respond to being called out.  I guess that sums up the credibilty in his/her profile. 

zipperhead_cop said:
Now that I look back at this thread, I see that bitterntwisted chose to not respond to being called out.  I guess that sums up the credibilty in his/her profile. 

Yep

Kinda thought that smelled a bit funny...I probably should give out a verbal or 500 pushups or something.

Posers...Damn!

Slim

Hey ya'll: It's been my experience that wearing a name tag doesn't have a lot of impact one way or another. My agency has worn them since way back when and we've never had a problem. Also, everybody has business cards with their name, assignment and work extension printed on them. By policy, you cannot obscure your name tag, nor can you refuse to hand out a business card if asked for it. From what I've seen, most officers in the US Northwest wear some kind of name tag.

Red 6 said:
Hey ya'll: It's been my experience that wearing a name tag doesn't have a lot of impact one way or another. My agency has worn them since way back when and we've never had a problem. Also, everybody has business cards with their name, assignment and work extension printed on them. By policy, you cannot obscure your name tag, nor can you refuse to hand out a business card if asked for it. From what I've seen, most officers in the US Northwest wear some kind of name tag.

But at least in the US if some gear box pulls a stunt at your home like firebombing your car there is a high degree of likelihood of a harsh consequence.  Here, the criminal would get a charge of arson and probably get to plead it down to mischief.  There are not specific laws that address targetting LEO's directly.  How large of a population base is the police service that you work for?

Red 6 said:
I'll shoot you a PM, zipperhead cop.

Got it, and thanks  :salute:

I think it just boils down to your comfort level with people knowing your name.  I like having the option of giving my name.  My tag number is always available, but when somebody is being a dink, it's always nice to just indicate to the tag and say "that's all you will need".  Conversely, for nice/normal people I am always happy to toss out a business card.  And it has my first AND last name on it.  ;D

If it was just a matter of the police having to deal with normal people including irate motorists there would not be a big deal about wearing nametags.  The problem is that police deal with a lot of dickheads that have access to computers and know how to pull up 411.ca. address.  Some officers probably still have listed phone numbers or the rookies may still live at home with mom and dad. 

If a cop is threatened, he can get permission to be "fully dressed" off duty and have  police patrols on his street.  But why go through all that BS.

Cops aren't too concerned about someone lodging an open complaint against an officer, they are concerned that some nutjob with too much time on his hands will deliberately target them anonymously because of their chosen profession.

The educated idiot politicians in T.O that suggested the idea did not have any thoughts for the potential consequences or any regard for officer safety.  The police union have declared it to be an officer safety issue and have instructed their members not to wear the name tags. 

I'm sure the city will be forking out a lot of money to replace  "lost" name tags and ripped shirts every time a cop gets into some body and fender work on the mean streets of Toronto.

Just got an e-mail from my former partner and her new pal..Seems that they were doing crowd liason/management (control being such a nasty word these days) at a town fair and the local drug dealer decided that that was the night he was going to try and intimidate some police officers...(Why not start with the auxiliary right?!)

Anyway in the midst of his telling my to pals that he now KNEW THEIR NAMES and was going to (I think she said) firebomb their houses, some of the Old Clothes (what my service calls undercover) guys and gals arrived and asked him to lie down on the ground and consent to being searched and arrested. I think they even helped him get there. Seems he had an outstanding warrant and had forgotten that the Auxiliary have RADIOS too, :rofl: in addition to the batons and handcuffs that they were getting ready to put into use.

Man I would hate to be that stupid! :blotto:

Yeah, it isn't as effective when some tool is ranting on about "Oh yeah 490, I'm gonna see you again 490!  I'm gonna remember that, 490" etc.  Give it a ten count and they already have forgotten the number. 

(BTW, my f#g tag number isn't 490, so don't pile on that guy/girl  ;D )

Back