• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mystery Cap Badge

AJFitzpatrick said:
1st Skunk Removal Detachment ?
Sorry that unit is now called the ******** or was that the puzzle palace? Never could keep them straight. Being a civy now of course I get confused in my old age

Edited to delete a personal attack

Transmundane said:
Avenue Road? That's an interesting street name... who came up with that one?
No idea, cant help you there but I am sure somebody will google it and correct me, probably right after I post this

it looks like the cap badge worn by civilian drivers employed by DND......

Quote from: Transmundane on Today at 12:40:31
Avenue Road? That's an interesting street name... who came up with that one?
No idea, cant help you there but I am sure somebody will google it and correct me, probably right after I post this

[uesless_post]

This is in wiki. but I 'ave heard this before... give it no credence but it's worth a smile..

Notable soldier and surveyor (also first Lieutenant Governor or Ontario) LCol John G Simcoe, an Englishman, is credited with laying out most of Tronna's early roads, Yonge, Dundas, King, some of Kingston and so forth.

Once these roads were laid out Simcoe is said to have realized that North South access to the town would be a problem, as only Yonge served this purpose. He noted the first concession west of Yonge was useful as the terrain was much more amenable to roadbuilding than the first concession east (Bayview/DonMills ... smack dab in the middle of the Don Marshes).

<adopting_limey_accent> "Right then"! Simcoe is said to have quipped, whilst standing at Bloor and pointing north, up the new allowance "Let's 'ave a new Road !"

[/useless_post]

There, now you've had your cheese for the day....

Army Outfitter and Fiddlehead--you're right about the cap badge.  I remember it being worn by the DND civilian bus drivers way back when. I talked to a driver about it one day just after they'd been issued the new cap badge and he was some digusted.  He took his cap off, and spun the "wagon wheel" on the cap badge, (it was just held on with a brass rivet). 

But wasn't the uniform they wore kind of a swamp green, (and no, I don't mean "Lagoon" green).

That would have been my guess as well.  The wheel reminded me of an old cadet summer camp badge awarded to those that had finished their military drivers course.  I am almost starting to feel old now remembering the "fun" courses that were offered to cadets compared to the ones given today, lol.

I think I'll post in here and quiet the riot and quall the speculation.
It is, in fact, the Badge of the MDO's, Military Driver Operators.  My civilian counterparts. They wear a bluish grey uniform these days and a peaked hat for special purposes, usually an MDO 4 doing VIP or base runs.  MDO 5's and 6's, who are the Heavy Equipment Operators and De-Icers, wear civilian clothes.
MDO's back fill MSEOps on deployment and do many of the mundane duty runs around base while the mil drivers do shift work and get the.....cookie on the floor.
If it was the green triangle with crossed guns or cannons, it's the old RCEME hatbadge {NOT very well liked by the EME guys}

"Don't think we're better than most,
Just better than you."

Army Outfitters said:
Hey Recceguy, is this response appropriate enough for you?

Is my response appropriate enough for you?

You have been told before to let it go but......

Back