• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My Outback Anzac Day w/Pics

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
1. Destination: Winton in Outback Queensland (just 4 short hours by 4x4 to the Gulf of Carpenteria)
2. Duration of travel: 40+ hours return by coach
3. Time away: 23-27 Apr 05
4. Reason: Accompanied Guest Of Honour for the local Anzac Day Parade and March conducted by the      Winton RSL Sub-Branch

Well so there I was all kitted up and eager to get underway fro   the Roma St Transit Centre in Brisbane last Friday. The both of us departed for a one way 20+ hour non-stop journey which took us well into the Outback of Australia.

I accompanied a fellow SNCO and good mate, Rob W, from CMIC based out of Enoggera. Out of the 4 units I have been posted to, Rob and I served together in two.

The bus ride was uneventful thru the night with the exception of a total of 11 roos smashing into the bull bar as we wre cruising at 115kph+ through the endless bitumen covered narrow road. When a roo collides with the 52 pax bus, it sounds like a shopping cart full of beer bottles as the beast is broke up like a metorite hitting the earth, and at least death is instant and there is no suffering for the beasts at all.

We arrived in Winton the following day, and headed straight for the one of five pubs in a town of a population of 1000 people, then stowed our kit at a house of a Mate of his.

We spent most of the day in the cloudless 35C warmth, swilling pots of XXXX Gold, and getting to know the local WW2 and 'Nam Vets, who were quite pleased theat we made the long journey out.

Come Mon am after a night of consuming  (between the 3 of us) a 1.14L bottle of JD and then a bottle of port, and then a slab of beer we weere sdtill quite charged and ready to go.

Rev was 0400, and we all were outfront of the War memorail by 0515, then to the RSL for a gunfire b'fast, and more free grog, which was rum and milk, plus beer if you wanted that. The whole town and many visitors were present. All in civvies except the RAAF crew.

We then changed into our uniforms, and at 0930 the march was conducted out to the cemetery, and back (4km), with only a few of the 50+ vets falling out do to the early morning heat. In the march was the vets, us, a RAAF party, and a CAPT from Townsville, plus Cadets, school kids and the rest of em. It was the largest march in years.

The parade has a 1942 Jeep (no brakes no rego, no lights) a WW2 Harley Davidson, plus a flypast with two planes, a Cessna 172 and a Piper Cub.

Then it was back to the RSL, swilled more, played 2 Up with me officiating until Rob rescued mena d we staggered back to the house with Micheal (our host) to change into our shorts as it was another hot day.

More swilling and we were in bed by 2030, all 4 air-conditioners on full, and snoring like a symphony of chainsaws.

The next day was hangover healing and more grog and food, and then yesterday we loaded back on the bus, and repeated the journey back to Brisbane, going thru towns like Tambo, Charleville, Longreach, Roma, and Miles. An absloute shocker of a journey, which ened at 0930 this am, and then riught to the Unit for work, and 1530 could not come fast enough, a 70km journy here to the island, great tea and that takes us up to now.

Anyways, here is a few pics. The Ole Digger is Bill. he fought in North Africa against Rommel, and then against the Japs in, New Guniea

Anyways, what is Winton famous for?

Here is what comes to mind:

1. Waltzing Matilda was wriiten there and irt was first perfomred in Winton
2. Its Opal mines
3. Its near by Lark quarry dinosaur tracks
4. 5 open pubs
6. LBJ (US president 1963-1968) was in a B17 in 1942, which ran out of av-gas and landed nearby, staying in the North Gregory Hotel, returning in 1966 for a visit.
7. In 1920, the Aussie airline QANTAS was fomred in Winton

Enjoy the pics and click to enlarge 'em.

Cheers,

Wes

Here is Bill and me, and the B&W pic is of him, plus a few other shots of Rob anad Don a VN Vet Also a pic of one of the pubs too.

Pics:

1. Roadtrain (a short one)

2.This is the Outback. I woke up and I thought I was near Moose Jaw, but it was brown and hot.

Great Pictures!!! I love Oz, and looks/sounds like you had a good time! Have a tooheys for me!

Thanks

Back