• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My Journey - Small Steps

Mander

Inactive
Reaction score
So this is my first time posting - I've been ghosting around the forums since before I applied in July gathering info. I thought it was time to document my own journey so far with a request for any thoughts or advice.

I initially applied for the Navy. I was attracted to a life at sea - always have been. I debated over and over whether or not I wanted to try for the ROTP - a decision that would stall my application for at least an extra year in order to upgrade academics and provide stronger evidence of leadership skills. I finally decided that I'd prefer a career as an NCM.

Something is drawing me to the Army though, and to Arty in particular. I have concerns about whether or not I have the personality and drive to be in the combat arms but with that concern comes my bullheaded determination to try anyway. I know I still have some soul-searching to do, and still have time to change my trade of choice as I havent had my medical or interview yet. As it stands, I've had my security and background checks done and I'm being held back until I clear certain debts.

My biggest concern going forward lies in my response to my mother's death when I was 19. The situation at the time left me emotionally crippled for a couple of years during which I struggled to maintain employment and spent about half a year on a mild anti-depressant. I've never been diagnosed with any mental or mood disorders, I've never made any suicide attempts, but I have been described as irrational in those couple of years following my mother's death. I still wonder if this event will be put into question as I continue my application. Personally, I feel I've come full-circle and through the challenge have been made stronger. I know what it means to mourn someone you love dearly, I know what it is to consider my own mortality, and I know how to be better prepared to carry on in the future. Military or not, I'm going to experience death and loss. But I also know how naive I am wanting to walk into a career with a high casualty rate. It's really just a matter of proving to the recruiting officers that I can stay in control in high stress environments.

I guess these are all just thoughts I felt like airing as I go along. I'm still working on improving my PT, trying to find work in a city with higher-than-average unemployment, and pecking away at my debts one day at a time. Hopefully I'll get a call from the Forces before I'm 25, and hopefully it'll be good news.

Cheers,
Amanda

Hello Amanda, I sympathize with your story as it sounds rather similar to mine. When I was 14 I was also put onto a mild anti-depressant for about 6 months after the death of my father. Since I wasn't an adult while on the medication they may have been more lenient in my case but it was definitely a struggle processing my application. My best advice I can give you is to be honest of course and be sure to mention it when they ask (and they will) but don't make a big deal out of it. I would hold back on using the term "emotionally crippled" in exchange for "Overcame some tough emotional challenges." and make sure to have as much paperwork about the situation as you can get.

Try not to think of the military as a career with a "high casualty rate" excellent training is meant to prevent that and sadly there are casualties in every profession military or otherwise the main difference is the requirement to be brave and carry out your duty if a dangerous situation does arise. Much of the high stress levels comes with adapting to a new way of life but once you do that day to day life becomes quite normal.

It's good to hear that you are working on your PT and looking for a job. Determination is never under looked.  Just make sure this is truly what you want to do with your life and not just so you can have a career because it is so much more than that.

I wish you all the best in your application process,

-Owen

Back