• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My 1/35 Canadian Vehicle Collection

Awesome collection! You've got the Afghanistan-era pretty much covered!

The one that caught my eye is the Leopard C1, you hardly ever see models of that. Did you scratch-build the LLTV & cage?

GINge! said:
Awesome collection! You've got the Afghanistan-era pretty much covered!

The one that caught my eye is the Leopard C1, you hardly ever see models of that. Did you scratch-build the LLTV & cage?

The C1 was my first resin conversion, its the Track Jam C1 Late conversion. I'm going to pick up some Orochi Leo 1 tracks and finish her finally.

Now you just need some Centurions to complete the collection of post war Canadian armour

MilEME09 said:
Now you just need some Centurions to complete the collection of post war Canadian armour

The Centurion is somewhere on my list. I do want to do one, just looking for the AFV club Nato centurion kit

Many - many - years ago I did a reasonable job at building a small diorama featuring a (Tamiya) 1/35 scale 25 pounder and crew, and gave it to my Dad who served on the gun during WW2. He took it to work and kept it in his office.

He had multiple offers from other guys to buy it off him, which he refused.

It wasn't 'world class' by any means, so I found that quite flattering.

That got me to thinking that there must be a good business out there, for the right person, to build 'made to order' dioramas for veterans etc.

daftandbarmy said:
That got me to thinking that there must be a good business out there, for the right person, to build 'made to order' dioramas for veterans etc.

There definitely is. There are some ebay sellers who do quite well selling built models for pretty big money. I myself just finished two models a M-113A3 and M2A2 Bradley to be sent to the 3ID's unit museum to be a part of the large Thunder Run diorama project. It will feature some 70 vehicles, has something like 30 modelers providing vehicles and it'll be massive once completed which should be soon.

These two models have something like 100 hours in them. They are exactly as they would have been on April 5, 2003 on the road through Baghdad.

this may help

http://www.hlj.com/product/AFV35106/Mil

Mk 5 with dozer blades

daftandbarmy said:

It used to be, about 10 years ago, that you could make OK money on ebay selling to militaria collectors. Now its flooded with talented far-east sellers who are OK working for $1/hr  :)

MilEME09 said:
this may help

http://www.hlj.com/product/AFV35106/Mil

Mk 5 with dozer blades

Hum!  A Centurion in US Army colours ???  Am I the only one here who thinks there's something wrong in that picture?

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Hum!  A Centurion in US Army colours ???  Am I the only one here who thinks there's something wrong in that picture?
The British had those stars on their Centurions around the time of the  Korean War, I believe.  The red and yellow patch with 41 on it might indicate 41 RTR.

cavalryman said:
The British had those stars on their Centurions around the time of the  Korean War, I believe.  The red and yellow patch with 41 on it might indicate 41 RTR.

I've had a quick run through some Korea photos and it would seem that the 41 on the red/yellow arm of service plate appeared on at least one centurion from the 5th Inniskilling as part of the Commonwealth Division and its quite possible (although I do not know for a fact) that the same AoS may have been used by the other Brit tank regiments as they rotated through the division (8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars, 1 RTR, 5 RTR and C Sqn 7 RTR). The white star is quite prominent on a number of Brit tanks in Korea (probably in an attempt to keep the Americans from shooting t them)

I note as well that when the Lord Strathcona Horse deployed to Korea they too bore the red/yellow AoS/unit sign with the number 41. (so the number may very well just designate all armoured units/subunits within the Commonwealth Division) I haven't yet seen a white star on any of the Canadian Shermans (maybe because the Yanks had those and were less likely to brew one up) (as an aside during WW2, the number 41 on a Canadian Infantry division vehicle designated the division's armoured regiment (although at that time we did not use the red/yellow unit sign for the armoured corps.) 41 was also the British WW2 AoS indicator for an infantry division's recce regt RAC (it had no tank regiment)

Incidentally great modelling examples in this thread. I've regretfully been out of the hobby for decades but still have several built kits and all too many unbuilt ones. Not sure that I can afford the damn paints anymore much less the time.

:cheers:

Thank you for the explanation. I suppose it would make sense for the Brits in Korea to do something to their tanks so as to avoid American friendly fire. Since the model shown has Asian text on the box (I won't even try to see if its Chines, Japanese or Korean), it is quite likely that the manufacturers personal reference to pictures/model would have been of a British one with the white stars then.

This might interest you.

The following is a "conjectural" org chart I came across for the Commonwealth Div as of Jul 51.

Comm.jpg

It comes from this site:

http://arlequinsworld.blogspot.com/2012/08/british-and-commonwealth-forces-korean.html

Note the element called C Sqn 2nd Arm'd. This would be the LdSH which at the time was also known as the 2nd Armoured Regiment.

Also note the presence of Brit Cromwells and Churchills in the mix. I have seen a number of references to Churchill flame throwing Crocodiles being over there.

Finally while I came across pictures of Brit armour in Korea with white stars, I also found a bunch without such stars. No idea when the change came about or if it was just a sporadic or local practice one way or the other. True historians like OldSweat might be able to put some light on that.

Cheers

I read this book while on vacation, excellent read BTW

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1845135334?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

It covers the initial Brit Tank deployments in Korea as part of 27th Brigade in some detail. The Centurians were sent, and were still considered "top secret"  and there was a standing order that none could fall into enemy hands. The Comets were employed as recce vehicles and mobile OP vehicles for the RA for the most part.

I also agree some excellent work here It does inspire me to get back into this after decades of neglect, which I'm sure will please the domestic niner no end.

I note in FJAG's chart that the infantry battalions are shown with three companies. Canadian battalions had four rifle companies, although I can't say for the British and the Australians.

Old Sweat said:
I note in FJAG's chart that the infantry battalions are shown with three companies. Canadian battalions had four rifle companies, although I can't say for the British and the Australians.

I'll pull, the book out tonight to confirm but I think it was 4 for the Brits. They made mention of bringing them up to war establishment by using volunteer NS types and recalled reservists. Also there is a mention of the Belgian Bn attached to the brigade beign much smaller in size and it had 3 companies.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Looks like the Cent on display at the Eastbourne Redoubt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanks_in_the_Cold_War#mediaviewer/File:Centurion_Tank_outside_the_Redoubt_Fortress.jpg

Hey all,

Found this on Kijiji in Winnipeg (Transcona), thought I would share it.
Models - Multiple pages
Hope the link works!

ME

Back