• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MRE's

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Meal's Ready To Eat from around the world.  :eek:

http://www.cominganarchy.com/images/rations.jpg

French MRE looks to be quite good.

http://www.mreinfo.com/france.html

tomahawk6 said:
French MRE looks to be quite good.

http://www.mreinfo.com/france.html

Had me some in Kosovo...they were quite good

I remember the German Risotto I had in Bosnia in 93.. I would try to get those any chance I could.. I enjoyed them.

I had some French and German rations and did not like either.  I did however like the wine that came with the fresh French rations, until it was seconded to the officers mess.

That chinese one looks some scrumpsous  ;D , I wonder if it still looks the same after it comes up?

I had the opportunity to try several different countries rations last yr in Afghanistan. I believe the French ones the best, even better then ours.

And theirs comes with the fuel tabs and water purification pills, everything you need. It also packs down quite a bit smaller then ours.

They do not come with wine anymore.

Hello All,

I went to an open house held by our local Canadian Forces Base, and was interested in the MRE'S. The cook said that the Canadian Armed Forces is adding several new items to their menu, including cariboo and seal meat.

Is there somewhere I can purchase MRE's? I wouldn't mind trying the seal meat one, just because it's different....

Best Wishes,

-Rick

My favourite meal was always the cancerous lung in a bag, aka ham omelet.  The chocolate bars were always great to receive, unfortunately too many times they were white from age.  I couldn't stand the boxed lunches we sometimes received.  Too many times the milk that came with them was sour :rage:.

The refuge ration meal looks better than the Chinese or Russian.

The French one does sound good, though I don't know about boxed pate...

New version of MRE sampled in Germany
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/05/army_firststrike_ration_070501w/

By Matthew Cox - Staff writer  Posted : Thursday May 3, 2007 9:25:15 EDT

Soldiers in Germany recently tested out a new individual assault ration and a new no-fuss group ration big enough to feed two squads.

Army officials from the Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center, Mass., unveiled the new versions of Meals, Ready to Eat during an April 27 visit to the Heidelberg Garrison Dining Facility in Germany, according to an Army press release.

The compact First Strike Ration and the Unitized Group Ration-Express are scheduled to be fielded later this year, the release stated.

The First Strike Ration is a small package meant to substitute for three larger MREs. It has about 3,000 calories versus the three MREs’ 3,900 but is more compact, the release stated.

The rations, meant to be eaten on the go, include two sandwiches similar to commercial Hot Pockets, but the military versions need no refrigeration. Flavors include bacon-and-cheddar and chicken barbecue. A high-energy drink also is included.

When things calm down enough to allow a more leisurely meal, soldiers can pull out the Unitized Group Ration-Express, a meal designed to serve 18 soldiers without kitchen equipment.

To heat the meal, a soldier just opens the box and pulls a tab, which releases a salt-water solution that reacts chemically to heat the four trays of food in about 35 minutes.

That releases a cloud of steam and some hydrogen gas, so the meal should be heated outside or in a ventilated area, the release stated.

“This is great for soldiers on the go,” said Sgt. 1st Class Mark Danley, V Corps’ senior food service sergeant, who was at the dining facility for the demonstration, the release said.

I've only tried Ours, The British, French and American. I can honestly say ours is the worst.  The breakfasts are horrible and every meal is doused in a pound of juices.  Eating these things in the +50 temps of Afghanistan was more miserable than getting shot at. 
I'd exchange all the chocolate bars and crap in ours for something that fills you up and doesn't leave you hungry.  Most times my section would trade our rations with the ANA and get their MREs.

I like how the MRE seems like a bit of a crap shoot. You never know what you are getting. Crackers or bread or both who knows.
With IMPs you know you are getting a door stop (the bread) and bag of fruit in syrup in every meal. I don't eat candy at home but the army loves to give it to me in the field.

Back