• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mortar Video

nULL

Inactive
Reaction score
I‘m not sure if this belonged here, but it had artillery in it, and i really didn‘t care anyway.

http://oregonstate.edu/~voilsb/media/Afghanistan.mpg

anyways, i thought it was interesting. i wonder how you could protect yourself from one of those.

EDIT: Btw, rough language is used.

That was a pretty impressive video.

How to protect yourself, easy...dig in.

If one lands in your trench...well, war is ****.

Any of you guys figure what kind of round that is. I would venture a standard 82, but that round sounds pretty big.

Pretty good footage. I‘d guess, one of the best methods to protect yourself from low-intensity mortar fire would be to get the **** out of there, before they zero in on you. Unless it was random fire without an observer, you just have to count on luck.

Those sounded like 120 mm rounds from a M1938/43. Very common in Afghanistan.

Yeah get the **** out of there strikes me as a better tactic then "lets sit here in the vehicle and videotape it."

Those sounded like 120 mm rounds from a M1938/43. Very common in Afghanistan.
And we know this how?

Well it was the standard 120 mm mortar in the Afghan army prior to hostilities with the Soviet Union, and the reds left behind thousands of them in 1989. Might as well be 160 mm M-160..who knows.

Originally posted by FUBAR:
[qb] Those sounded like 120 mm rounds from a M1938/43. Very common in Afghanistan. [/qb]
It‘s interesting that you‘ve heard these weapons in action; where have you served?

Fubar, the beaks and claws won‘t choke you so much if you put the crow on puree.

I served for 10 months in the 12 Mechanized Division stationed in Szczecin Poland as a infantry man aboard a BWP-1 IFV. I encountered these mortars during numerous exercises.

I‘d like to know why they would just be hanging around. It seemed like the guns were adjusting on that compound; since they got three hits. The next step would be a Fire For Effect. I wouldn‘t want to be ‘packing up the gear‘. Get the **** out and come back later.

What an interesting twist.. :D

Crow-servers, what say you??

FUBAR, you‘d better hope you are legit... lol

When is that footage from? Once the rounds started hitting the compound, it didnt seem like there was any activity - what was the strength of it?

if you listen, you can hear yelling from within the compound.

...and see the counter-battery fire hitting the hills.

Back