• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mohamed Harkat (merged thread)

muffin

Inactive
Reaction score
In keeping with it's reputation of having the most correctional facilities per square Km, Millhaven Institution in Kingston is building a new 6 person facility (completely seperate from the existing institustion) that will house suspected terrorists.
Apparently there are 4 suspected terrorists in custody now (no charges laid).

7 Prisons, Abardeen St Parties, and now terrorists... I love K-town  ::)

Reference:
Report heard on K-Rock Morning News, anchor Tony Orr, 7:30 a.m. Feb 2nd 2006

Oh well, I can think of lots of areas that would love the economic spinoffs......jobs, local supplies, etc...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060202.PRISON02/BNPrint/theglobeandmail/TopStories

High-security centre to house terror suspects
Detention unit for half dozen men being built on grounds of Millhaven
By TIMOTHY APPLEBY

Thursday, February 2, 2006
Posted at 2:59 PM EST

Call it Guantanamo North, or perhaps Guantanamo Lite. What's for sure is that the new high-security detention centre being built near Kingston to house foreign terrorism suspects is exceedingly small, with space for just six inmates.

As things stand, that should pose no problem for Canada's security needs. Just four people -- all Arab nationals -- are believed detained under the government's controversial security certificates. All are resisting deportation on grounds that they fear persecution if sent home.

A fifth man is free on bail in Montreal, subject to severe restrictions. None of the five has been charged with a crime.

The self-contained unit, under construction behind the walls of maximum-security Millhaven Penitentiary, is due to open at the end of March and all four suspects will be going there, Correctional Service Canada spokeswoman Michele Pilon-Santilli said yesterday.
"It's within the grounds of Millhaven but is a totally separate facility, being built specifically to house security-certificate detainees," she said. "[Prisoners] will be kept separate from other inmates at all times; there will be absolutely no contact."

Authorities would not say what the new facility is costing to build, or disclose the size of its cells. Each inmate will be held separately, CBSA spokeswoman Cara Prest said, with visitors subject to the same scrutiny as those who enter the rest of Millhaven.

Word of the new prison-within-a-prison follows a recent report by a United Nations human-rights group. After touring Canada last year, the group said it was "gravely concerned" about the use of security certificates. Chiefly at issue, it concluded, are the detainees' right to a fair hearing and their ability to challenge the evidence used to hold them, portions of which are often kept secret. Nor is there any mechanism for a judicial review of the circumstances of incarceration.

The unit is a response to a request by the Ontario government, which currently oversees the inmates' detention, Ms. Pilon-Santilli said.

"This was based on needs. If and when there are more [detainees], we'll look at them on a case-by-case basis."

Ottawa lawyer Matthew Webber, counsel for long-time detainee Mohammed Harkat, voiced dismay at his client's prospects.

"One might view this obviously remedial step as an alternative to bail," he said. "It's an obvious recognition of the fact that the current circumstances are unacceptable, but this is really just a Band-Aid."

The certificates pertain only to non-citizens believed to pose a security threat. Canadians accused of terror-related offences must be charged under the Criminal Code.

All four men are suspected of being allied to Islamic extremists:

Algerian-born Mr. Harkat, a refugee claimant who worked at an Ottawa gas station before his arrest in December, 2002, is being held at the Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre.

Syrian-born Hassan Almrei, imprisoned since October, 2001, is at Toronto's Metro West Detention Centre.

Egyptian-born Mohammed Mahjoub, arrested in June, 2000, and Mahmoud Jaballah, also of Egypt, have been detained since August, 2001. They, too, are behind bars at Metro West.

Adil Charkaoui of Morocco, who was held from May, 2003, to February, 2005, is free on bail in Montreal.

© Copyright 2006 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.

That's a let down. I read the thread title and thought they were talking about the Ironsides Bonspiel that's being held there in March  ;)

Instead of Kingston, they should build the facility on Hans island and take care of two problems at once.....

a_majoor said:
Instead of Kingston, they should build the facility on Hans island and take care of two problems at once.....

That would quickly take care of any escape attempts, no?  ;)

a_majoor said:
'and all the Human Rights Orgs are protesting Gitmo.....What would they say about Hans Island?

I would like to see something along these lines up North, on a larger scale, anyways.  Not just for Terrorist Suspects, but for all 'Serious' and 'Dangerous' offenders.  Build a large, isolated community, with tight access control and use it as a Refugee/Illegal Immigrant clearing station as well. 

This solves so many problems.  No more Illegals disappearing into the metropolitan areas or US.  Populated community exercising our Arctic Sovereignty.  Removal of dangerous criminal and terrorist elements from populated areas.  Huge wages to attract employees to the North. 

;D

George Wallace said:
I would like to see something along these lines up North, on a larger scale, anyways.  Not just for Terrorist Suspects, but for all 'Serious' and 'Dangerous' offenders. 

Supermax: a highly restrictive, high custody housing unit within a secure facility, or an entire secure facility, that isolates inmates from the general prison population and from each other due to grievous crimes, repetitive assaultive or institutional behaviour, the threat of escape or actual escape from high custody facilities or inciting or threaten to incite disturbances in a correctional facility.
IU.S. Department of Justice, National Institute of Corrections,"Supermax Prisions: Overview and General Considerations
http://www.nicic.org/pubs/1999/014937.pdf

Gulag: A system of penal institutions in the Soviet Union est'd after the 1917 Russian Revolution . The name comes from the Russian acronym for the Chief Administration for Corrective Labour Camps.

In both examples significant outrage has been made by the more liberal of our society. In the idea of constructing secure facilities an often heard quote now is "Do we want to face the legal challenges that may accompany the expansion of placement criteria beyond what is absolutely necessary".

How about:

Main Entry: dis·ap·pear
Pronunciation: "di-s&-'pir
Function: verb
intransitive senses
1 : to pass from view
2 : to cease to be : pass out of existence or notice
transitive senses : to cause the disappearance of
- dis·ap·pear·ance  /-'pir-&n(t)s/ noun

"Please use it in a sentance"
"Nobody cared about the disappearance of the terrorists.  They were just happy they were gone"

Wow Canada seems to be getting dumber every day!....Hey if we cant go to the war...lets bring it here?????? :blotto:

http://www.torontosun.ca/News/Terror/2006/06/07/1618334-sun.html

OTTAWA -- An Ottawa man accused of terrorist ties "cannot be trusted" to abide by bail conditions and will renew contact with other Muslim radicals if released from jail, the federal government says.

Justice department lawyers are moving to keep Mohamed Harkat behind bars, arguing he poses a "serious threat to the well-being and security of all Canadians."

The government is asking the Federal Court of Appeal to put his bail proved last month -- on hold until full arguments can be heard.

"Harkat's release would place him in a position to recommence his contacts with members of the Islamic extremist network, allowing them to be involved in planning and execution of terrorist acts," says a federal submission filed with the court.

Harkat, detained on a national security certificate for more than three years, was granted bail with a raft of strict conditions by Federal Court Justice Eleanor Dawson.

He's one of five Muslim men facing deportation on certificates -- controversial anti-terrorist tools issued under federal immigration law.

The government will contend Friday before the Court of Appeal that releasing Harkat would be a mistake.

The Canadian Security Intelligence Service says Harkat, 37, is a collaborator with Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida network.

Harkat denies any involvement with terrorism.

I'm no expert, but if CSIS is watching you, doesn't it mean that you have been up to something wrong?  Everyone is claiming their innocence in these terror trails , which they're allowed to do. But I mean, if CSIS and the RCMP are involved in your life, you've had to have done something to attract their attention.  I know everyone is innocent until proven otherwise, but come on......

Assumption of guilt is bad....  you said it yourself, just in not such a clear way

Octavianus said:
Harkat, detained on a national security certificate for more than three years, was granted bail with a raft of strict conditions by Federal Court Justice Eleanor Dawson.

I'm no expert, but if CSIS is watching you, doesn't it mean that you have been up to something wrong?  Everyone is claiming their innocence in these terror trails , which they're allowed to do. But I mean, if CSIS and the RCMP are involved in your life, you've had to have done something to attract their attention.  I know everyone is innocent until proven otherwise, but come on......

CSIS and RCMP dont hold people for three years unless they have significant proof of activity.  Then, once the court process starts, they have to go through a bail hearing in which they have to prove that the person poses a threat to the public; if not, bail is granted.  It will be interesting to see if he disappears...

"Assumption of guilt is bad....  you said it yourself, just in not such a clear way"

Very true....however, I am only human, and we all let our emotions get the best of us occasionally, especially when very serious and terrifying allegations are brought up. I've already made a decision  on this trial, yet it's imperative that we let the justice system take its course. Becasue if I was in such a situation and was innocent, I would appreciate a fair trial.  Guilty until proven innocent, eh?

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the  Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/paperchase/2006/06/canada-high-court-hears-arguments-on.php

Canada high court hears arguments on permanent terror detentions
Joe Shaulis, Paper Chase Newsburst, 13 Jun 06

''Lawyers for three men Arab Muslim men argued before the Supreme Court of Canada Tuesday that a program allowing the government to indefinitely detain and deport foreigners with suspected ties to terrorism is unconstitutional. The three men - Adil Charkaoui, Hassan Almrei and Mohamed Harkat  - contend that their detentions breach the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms . Suspected of membership in al Qaeda, the men were arrested on special security certificates authorized by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Suspects can spend years fighting deportation while courts hear sensitive intelligence evidence against them, often in closed session without defense attorneys present. As a result, a lawyer for one of the men argued, suspects can be branded as terrorists without a fair hearing. But Canadian Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin seemed dubious of challenges to the legislation, asking "What does the world do with somebody who is truly dangerous wherever they go. Is freedom really an option?... [A]re not the only options permanent detention in a country like Canada or sending them back to a country that may be worse?" ''

Background
Canadian Border Security Agency Backgrounder, under ''Immigration and Refugee Protection Act'' (IRPA)
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/newsroom/factsheets/2005/certificat-e.html
IRPA
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/I-2.5/index.html
Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada Fact Sheet
http://www.psepc-sppcc.gc.ca/prg/ns/seccert-en.asp
Canadian Security Intelligence Service Fact Sheet
http://www.csis-scrs.gc.ca/en/newsroom/backgrounders/backgrounder14.asp

Back