• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MOC training for NES OP - or other Naval OP trades for that matter

CallOfDuty said:
Arent NESOPS required to spend 50% of the time in the classroom and then the other 50% percent split between Tim Hortons and the Fleet club??  ;D
Cheers

Thats why I signed up  ;D

Any information on next NES OP QL3 would be greatly appreciated. Most importantly dates for the next course and the one after. I hopefully will be done my BMQ on June 17th.

cheers

Just so you are aware, courses for NESOP are always running. We never stop. The only hitch is wether you get your security clearance in time for the next one. Depending on your past history and the time it takes for CISIS to go through your information it could take months. So once you get to Blackrock for your QL-3 we will assess where your clearance is and from there we may employ you to a ship or other unit until you have a clearance.

Retired AF Guy said:
The Navy has trades to look at Navels? I did not know.  ;D

What do you think they do when they're down in Hawaii at RIMPAC?

I realize I am bringing up an old thread, but I am curious about much of the info here & a career in army or navy intelligence.

I am in the middle of filling out my Forces application and at the moment I am very interested in the Intelligence Operator position. After reading this thread it seems that the navy reserve intelligence operator/officer role is going through a lot of changes? Initially I was leaning toward the navy but now I am not so sure if I can or if it's even possible to enter. In terms of employment between army & navy which area am I more likely to be needed? I see from what I have read here, that the navy reserve intelligence officers lacks the underlings to properly do their job, if this is true does that mean they're is need for more intelligence operators? Or is it more of a funding issue?

I am not sure if this bit of info will help in answering my questions, but currently I am a CEGEP (college) student living in Montreal. All of my studies/courses in my Social Science program have been directed toward this type of job, courses such as Political Science, Geography, History, Economics, Psychology, & Religion. Further I have tried to relate my required Humanities, French, English, Phys-Ed, & Complementary courses to the job position. I really want every course I take in college & later in university to be useful to the Canadian Forces specifically useful to the Intelligence Operator & Officer careers in either Navy or Army.

A lot of you seem to know about the job, either through friends or self-experience. Maybe some of you are intelligence officers… if so what is it you want most from your operators? What would be most useful to know about beforehand? I am coming from the education environment, and I don’t have any military experience, what can I do to start preparing mentally?  For example are there any course suggestions, or areas of study that I should focus on? Physically, this job doesn’t sound to demanding but I am in good health, I cycle everywhere year round & trail run a couple days a week.

Any info about the is very appreciated, just leave a message here or PM me. 

Hi Dave, and welcome to the site. I have read your post in it's entirety and am not sure if you are aware that NESOPs are a completely different trade from the Intelligence folks. As far as intel goes, I can't say much other than the following.  It is not element specific. This means that you are able to choose from all three elements to be your primary, however you will most likely find yourself working with other people in one or both of the other elements, be it at their home or yours. I have a pal working intell right now as an example and he has been posted to many different bases and is now at a navy base as an Air Force INT OP. 

Beyond what I have said, there is far more that the trade does which is well over my pay grade, so I can't go any further. I will try to get more info from my friend regarding what he does and PM it to you.  As far as my trade of NESOP goes, we are the operators responsible for ensuring the safety of the ship through detection of enemy vessels and weapons. We are also in charge of the weapons (except torpedoes) on board. Cool ops room job but has its down sides as do most.

As for yourself, welcome to the site and learn from what is said, as there are many member here with vast amounts of knowledge due to many years of experience (myself not included). Having said that, join when the time is right for you and make sure it is for the right reasons.  Do some research into the military and how it operates to give you an idea of wether it is something you would like to do before you committ your time and money to educating yourself. Good luck in your future endeavors and take care.

Could anyone provide me some specifics about the downsides/boring tasks of NES OP or NCI OP (or operator jobs in general) when at sea?

Thanks.

Downside / boring tasks exist in every job and it also will depend on how you look at the tasks.  Depends who you are working with, what he job is.  Eventually you get away from those jobs you might not like and move onto other things.

Hey Itgrenier. For some specifics, NESOP's have a pretty good go in the way of CBT trades in the Navy. You will start working on the ESM (hunting radars). The most interesting part of the job comes a few years down the road when you start getting into the fire control of the guns and missiles onboard. NCI OPs are another good go in my opinion. Lots of radar work so its good times if thats your bag. Sonar is cool if you want to work on subs, but on ship, they seem to be short staffed the most. All together, the CBT trades are a good go in my eyes. I love the job I do, but it's not for everyone.

Back