• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mobile internet stick @ CFLRS

Craisome

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been reading about internet access at basic, I hope it's still not dial-up @ $1/15 min :(

I don't have a cell phone, my office always provided me one and something tells me they wont let me take it to basic.

Would it be crazy to bring a laptop and a mobile internet stick to CFLRS?

If you're going to basic training and you're worried about internet access you're doing it wrong.

Do they allow you access to your personal possessions now days?

My RC told me a lot of people take laptops and cell phones for that matter.

I was looking to Skype with the kids on the weekend.

My RC told me the food was good (it wasn't).  Things may have changed, it has been a while.  I was only allowed a single framed photograph and we only had access to our personal possessions on the one weekend we were allowed out in order to get some civilian clothing.  For outside contact there was a pay phone when we had the time (which wasn't often).  Sorry for the history lesson...I'll let someone less prehistoric answer your question.  :salute:

Your access to personal kit varies from platoon to platoon, but as of this summer, most platoons had access to cell phones for a limited time each night, from 2000h to 2200h.  Laptop access was restricted until late into the course.

Since you say you had a cell phone from your office, I am going to ask if you are going through as Reserve or Regular Force.  While all Reg BMQ/BMOQs are done at CFLRS, few, if any reserve BMQs are done there.

In all likelihood, Reserve BMQ will not give you day to day access to laptops, and neither can you count on it at CFLRS.  What I did was finally make the jump to a smartphone just before basic and got a good data plan.  It was easily the most convenient and cost-effective method.

I'm going into Reg.

I was an IT consultant for years before I decided to join, so I already own a laptop  and a mobile internet stick with be a smaller investment than a cell phone.

Craisome

Bring your Laptop and stick no one should be telling you not to. That being said currently the policy at CFLRS is you will not have access to your personal electronics at all for the first 4 weeks of training. After that when the "Indoc" period is over you will on weekends only have access to your electronics and civilian clothing as on weekends you are allowed to leave the base (dependant on your Platoons performance during the week).

There may be a policy change coming where you will be able to have access to you personal electronice throughout your BMQ however that has not come down yet.

Not a crazy question at all.  I've been here since sept and it seems like most platoons get their electronics back at some point during the course. This is entirely subject to how well your platoon is doing and the attitudes of your staff towards their use however. We've had them taken back after a particularly bad inspection the day after they were returned. Phones we have access to after the work day, anything else on weekends only.

One of my roommates has an Internet stick, but the vast majority of us use some kind of smart phone (or smart phone that can become a mobile hotspot).

Stacked said:
My platoon was one of the lucky ones who participated in the "electronics trial"  earlier this year, we were aloud to keep our electronics since day 1, and use them after 6pm.

Most new platoons will be aloud to keep their electronics as part of the trial.  This came from the Commandant of CFLRS just prior to my end of course ceremony (October 2011) when he addressed us.

Allowed.

If money saving is your main concern, just head to any McDonalds, Mikes Restaurant or other similar place with Wi-Fi access on the week end.  You'll want to get as far form the school as you can on your time off.  I would normally hop the bus to Montreal(<$10 ec way) and spend some time enjoying a nice Coffee while I chatted to my wife online.

The wi-fi sticks would be about as expensive as a cellular phone from what I noticed, if you have a tethering package you'll be able to surf the internet and use Skype etc. with it as well.  I have a BB thats under $50/month and includes 6gb data with tethering.
As for when you'll be able to use it, that's better left to your course staff to determine.  We were not allowed electronics for the entire course other then on week ends off.

There is also a Public Library down the street from CFLRS that has free wifi and it is open on the weekends.

BulletMagnet said:
There may be a policy change coming where you will be able to have access to you personal electronice throughout your BMQ however that has not come down yet.
Not Fair!! "I weep for the future of MY Military".

2010newbie said:
There is also a Public Library down the street from CFLRS that has free wifi and it is open on the weekends.

Wow, I wish I knew about that while I was there....

I used my blackberry and tethered it while I was there.  1GB of data a month at 3G speeds, which is plenty when you only have your laptop on weekends, and don't do a ton of YouTube.  I do know people who did get rocketsticks, but now they have rocketsticks they don't need once they graduate....

Swing

Precept was once one of my recruits he would hear me utter that saying daily, usually while passing the Ocdts on BMOQ but occasionally aimed at him.

The Boston Pizza nearby has free Wi-Fi you can use on the weekends. 

Good ole iPhone tethering to laptop...  I'll be sure to share my phone as a WiFi hotspot so everyone and get online a bit.  :bowing:

tylerlleslie said:
Good ole iPhone tethering to laptop...  I'll be sure to share my phone as a WiFi hotspot so everyone and get online a bit.  :bowing:

I used 500 mb of data in one day that way  :facepalm:

Back