• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mixed Bag of questions re Joining the Forces-First post!

Wizmillion

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everybody, this is my first post here. After scouring various resources I have not been able to find the answers to several question I have about joining the CAF. So I joined the forum and hopefully you guys can help me out! If after reading you think there is a better thread I could post certain questions in please let me know. First a little back story, I'm 22 living in Calgary Alberta, I haven't really had any background with the Forces (cadets etc) and neither has my family. I've moved (within the city)  almost every year since I've been 16, I gave a college course a shot and finished the first year with high grades but decided it wasn't what I wanted to do. So long story short I've been going from crappy job to crappy job and in a word I'm sick of it. That's when I decided to look into joining the Forces.

With that out of the way my first question is regarding the reserves. I figure it would be a good idea to join the reserves first to get a feel for Army life and whether it is for me or not, and hopefully make moving to a full time position easier if that is what I decided to do. With the defunct economy here in Alberta I find myself without a steady job, so my question is this; When I do find a job do I have to work out taking leave for basic training with them or is there some kind of obligation to allow people the couple of months it takes to complete basic without endangering their jobs? On a related note I also find myself in debt (around $4000) due to losing my job, I know one of the pre req's in the application process is having a plan to eliminate any debt you have, obviously until I find work that would be an issue. Is it possible with such a (relatively) low debt load to plan on using the pay from the Forces to deal with the debt?

My other questions are a little random but they are as follows: What is the process for enrolling in the DND 404 drivers license program as I am lacking a full civilian license (don't ask I'm not happy about it lol), I'm thinking that I would want to join the Force as an Armoured soldier-can you choose which vehicle you want to operate/which regiment you are assigned to? On that note (besides location) are there major differences between the 3 regiments? Final question; what are the civilian applications of having been an Armoured soldier if I don't decided to be a lifer? Is there a special license(s)/experience that could transfer over and land you a decent job driving heavy equipment or working as a mechanic etc?

Thanks for taking the time to look over my post, I'm going to continue searching for some answers myself and probably make a plan to go and speak with a recruiter. Side note if anyone knows any good resources to prepare for the application process as well as getting into good shape I would love to take a look at them!

Cheers, Alex

Found some good info about fitness training here: http://www.forces.ca/en/page/training-90

and good info about the reserves and transferring from them to Regf here: http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/news/article.page?doc=the-reserve-force-and-reserve-classes-of-service/hnmx1bib

and here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianForces/comments/140az6/how_does_switching_from_the_reserves_to_the_reg/

Hello,

As someone currently going through the recruiting process, I understand that you have many questions. I did too when I first applied and have had many more throughout the process so far. I have been able to find answers to all of my questions so far just by using the search function. I recommend that you use it to research the questions you have. I'm sure you will find the answers you seek and then some. Also, please take the time to read the following thread:

BEFORE YOU POST - READ THIS:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/82669.0.html

There are lots of great places to start from there.

All the best.

Thanks, I've been pouring over the forums without much success yet on the more obscure questions but I'm sure I'll get there eventually. I'm also going to attend an information session next Wednesday so hopefully that will help a lot. Didn't realize there was a before you post thread, thanks for pointing it out.

Back