• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MIT offering "pirate certificate"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Yes, it's THAT M.I.T. - this seems to be a real thing (gotta love the disclaimer) ....
The MIT Pirate Certificate became available in the Fall of 2011. Students who have completed Archery, Fencing, Pistol (Air Pistol or Rifle) and Sailing should send an email to ahoymitpe@mit.edu with name and MIT ID number once grades are posted for all four courses. Check PE&W history after each quarter.

(....)

The MIT Pirate Certificate is for entertainment purposes only and does not give the recipient license to engage in piracy or any pirate activities.

This is pretty hilarious, that's a pretty fun thing for the group.

Speaking of MIT, they have a really incredible set of open courseware that is great from everything from high school to university level information. Was a great resource going back to do a Masters after 20 years, and honestly a lot better explanations in some things then I got the first time around;

MIT OpenCourseWare | Free Online Course Materials

Not sure if you can count the open courseware t the pirate degree, but it's also on there;

Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation | MIT OpenCourseWare | Free Online Course Materials

In all seriousness, a buddy and myself decided to take up fencing when I was in Gagetown - we signed up with the UNB fencing club who offered classes and could arrange for us to compete as we got better. There were some very serious athletes there, provincial/national level fencers, but the rest of the kids that were there were something you'd expect from the D&D Club thinking they'd learn sword fighting...they had a rude shock. One of the senior fencers there had us run the warm ups for them...well you can guess some of the snivelling we heard from the non-athletic types.

Incidentally, one of the folks there was a Mil E Officer and specialized in sabre, and he tried recruiting us on the sabre team...we were encouraged to strike with a variety of pirate phrases :ROFLMAO:

Idi Amin enters the conversation...
As does Al Capone and MAYBE Lenin.....

My grandson asked me the other night what a "limey" was. I explained Brit sailors in the 1700s would get scurvy from lack of Vitamin C and to combat it the Admiralty or whoever issued limes for the sailors. Hence the name "limey".

He was IMPRESSED!!

Back