• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MISSING PERSON: Ex CF Mbr lost in NSW Australia

Thompson_JM

Inactive
Reaction score
So to preface, Prabh is a friend of mine, and has been missing now for the better part of a week.

While the odds of anything useful turning up by posting on here are slim, I'm willing to take any and every chance that something might help. He is a former member of my unit who had to release in order to attend law school in Australia.

Below are pertinent links regarding his disappearance.  If anyone has any information please let me or the authorities know, so that the information can be relayed to those who need it.

Many thanks for listening, and for your help.  :salute: :yellow:

https://www.facebook.com/HelpFindPrabhSrawn

http://m.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/skiers-join-search-for-missing-canadian-bushwalker-at-kosciuszko-20130520-2jvv8.html?skin=iphone

I know someone who goes to law at Bond; maybe she'll have some more info. 

SAR reports hearing a male voice calling for help and responding to them.

Hopefully it is him, and rescue is not far off......  :yellow:

Latest from NSW Police Force:
A search for a bushwalker, missing in the Kosciuszko National Park, will go into its eighth day when it resumes tomorrow (Tuesday 28 May 2013).

On Monday 13 May 2013, 25-year-old Prabhdeep Srawn drove to Charlotte Pass Village in the Kosciuszko National Park where he intended to go for a bushwalk.

Mr Srawn has not been seen or heard from since and his rental car was due to be returned two days later (Wednesday 15 May 2013).

On Monday 20 May 2013, it was discovered Prabhdeep was missing and a large-scale search operation was conducted in the areas surrounding Mount Kosciuszko.

Today (Monday 27 May 2013), a total of 28 personnel from NSW Police Force, Australian Federal Police (AFP), Victoria Police, National Parks and Wildlife Services (NPWS), State Emergency Service (SES) and NSW Ambulance Service continued their search for Mr Srawn.

The search also involved Polair and the Life Saver 3 helicopter, which flew alpine trained officers into the more isolated and rugged areas of terrain.

Extensive searches focussed on the ridge lines east and west of Lady Northcote Canyon as well as the lower levels of Mt Townsend, Muellers Pass, Muellers Peak, Abbott Ridge and Abbott Peak.

At 6:15pm, the search was suspended for the day after emergency services were unable to locate any sign of Mr Srawn.

The search will resume at full strength at 7:30am tomorrow with resources expected to revisit the Lady Northcote Canyon, Muellers Pass and the Cootapatamba Lake.

Police are appealing for anyone with information about Mr Srawn’s movements or whereabouts to come forward. He is described as being of Indian appearance with a tanned complexion, medium build and short dark hair.

He was last seen wearing a white t-shirt and blue jeans. Police also believe he may be wearing a red and black “Frogg Toggs” ski jacket. The body of the jacket is described as being red with a black hood and shoulder section.

Anyone with information about this incident should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://www1.police.nsw.gov.au/. Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter pages.

Lets keep hoping for a good outcome. :yellow:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2013/05/28/20853991.html

Australia scales back search for missing Ontario man
By QMI Agency

Australian police have scaled back the search for a Hamilton, Ont., man who has been missing in the mountains for more than two weeks.

Prabh Srawn, 25, a trained Canadian Forces reservist, was last seen May 13 before he went for a hike in Kosciuszko National Park in New South Wales.
Police said Tuesday ground crews and a helicopter have been searching the rugged and remote region for the last eight days.
No sign of Srawn has been found.

"There comes a time when a decision has to be made over how long you keep searching. Following consultation with medical experts, examination of the conditions and weather forecasts we have decided to scale back the search," Supt. Shane Box said in a statement.

A scaled-back search will continue for two more days, he said.

Srawn was in Australia to study law at Bond University.

This from DFAIT....
The Honourable Diane Ablonczy, Minister of State of Foreign Affairs (Americas and Consular Affairs) today released the following statement.

“Late last evening, we learned from our Canadian officials in New South Wales that Australian authorities had made the decision to scale back the search for Mr. Srawn.

“Earlier today I spoke with Australia’s High Commissioner to Canada, Louise Hand. I thanked her for the dedicated efforts already made by Australian authorities, and relayed Canada’s request that the scale of the search not be reduced at this time.

“Canada has been actively working with Australian authorities throughout to discuss the search mission and to convey the family’s concerns.

“Our engagement with Australian authorities at all levels will continue on the search for Mr. Srawn. We join Canadians in praying for his safe return.”

NSW Police have scaled the search back extensively. The family have now sent their own private teams in to try to find and recover Prabh.

Currently the main search team employed by the family is Heading northwest of mount Townsend for 3 days to conduct a grid search in an area not previously explored. Hopefully they will have some good news.  :yellow:

Contacted a friend of mine on Facebook who lives in Australia and asked her about what was happening. She didn't have much to say as she just got back from holidays, except to point out he was last seen in the Snowy Mountains* and that its now winter there, with snow in the mountains. Also stated that the authorities have called off the search.

This link has some information on climate: "The Snowy Mountains is one of the few regions that experiences four distinct seasons. Mountain weather can be extremely unpredictable and walkers are advised to be prepared for all conditions and check weather forecasts before setting out."

* The mountain he was last seen on is the highest mountain in Australia.

Yup.

All this is true AF Guy.

Still wish I knew why on earth he chose to go alone.......  :'( It's most likely going to be a very sad ending to all this...

The family is offering $50k CDN for his return/recovery. I think all of us are expecting a recovery at this point. Hopefully they can find his remains before the spring. can find his remains period.

This gives a fairly good summary of the search conducted:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/lost-hikers-family-searches-for-answers-20130531-2nhmx.html

I noted the refence to  temperatures of -13 degrees.

I don't know Prahb or his family personally, but I've been following the story with concern.  I was hoping for better news.  I can see there's been a lot of effort, and many challenges.

Reward is up to $100,000 Cdn for the rescue or recovery.

This really hammers home the point that money cannot buy anything....

I miss my friend.  :'(

It sucks. If anyone can ever take anything from this, Always have a plan, bring extra supplies, leave a route trace with friends, and NEVER GO ALONE!

Not much we can do about it at this point though. Other than hope for some sort of conclusion.

Thank you though. It's rough for all of us in the unit, and I cant even imagine how his family feels. My heart goes out to them.

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/story/2013/06/13/hamilton-prabhdeep-srawn-search-update.html

11 Members of the Hamilton Garrison including the RHLI, AsHofC and 31 Hamilton Service Battalion are going over to (Hopefully) bring Prabh home.

I'm proud to know all of you lads. Goodspeed, and good luck.  :salute:  :yellow:

Tommy said:
11 Members of the Hamilton Garrison including the RHLI, AsHofC and 31 Hamilton Service Battalion are going over to (Hopefully) bring Prabh home.

I'm proud to know all of you lads. Goodspeed, and good luck...

I have been following details of the situation from a few different outlets, indeed sad and unfortunate circusmtances--I am sorry for your friend. I do hope they make some progress and thoughts and prayers extended to family and friends.

Tommy said:
http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/story/2013/06/13/hamilton-prabhdeep-srawn-search-update.html

I'm proud to know all of you lads. Goodspeed, and good luck:salute:  :yellow:

I second that! Good Luck!!  :cdn:

CBC News is reporting that the family has abandoned their own search for Prabhdeep Srawn.

li-620-prabhdeep-srawn-cbc.jpg

Prabhdeep Srawn, seen in this recent photo, has not been seen since May 13. (Srawn family photo)

Back