• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Missing CAPSS Study Guide

.dp

Inactive
Reaction score
Last week I scheduled my ACS for Dec 7-11; I leave for Trenton tomorrow afternoon.

I received my info package this Thursday and was going through it last night to double check that I have everything I need when I noticed the section that read candidates MUST be in possession of the CAPSS guide for the Monday session. The problem is my package didn't contain the blue CAPSS guide.

I left a voicemail with my recruiter but since it's the weekend he won't receive it until Monday, after I've already shown up to Day 1 unprepared.

Does anyone know where I could buy one in the Ottawa area?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can point me in the right direction.

DEO route.

Hopefully the don't tell me to pack my stuff and head home on Monday morning.

I signed a waiver and they let me stay, they said that normally they send people home who haven't had time to study.

There's 5 people in my group, 2 DEO including myself, 2 ROTP, and 1 transfer. Everyone seems nice and quite bright so it would be great if all of us passed.

Tomorrow morning is the final sim and after that they tell us if we go home or to Toronto for medicals; it's going to be awkward if I or another of the group fail.

Time to prep for bed, have to get up at 6:00

P.S. The food is great here.

Well, our whole group of 5, including 3 with PPL failed.

Overall not a big fan of the testing, I would have preferred a debriefing after every session so we'd know what to work on for the next one but that's the way it is so no use complaining now.

I think it's a cumulative score, because I really feel I nailed my fourth session, but my first couple were pretty bad.

Best of luck to future applicants, there's really no way to study.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck.  The lack of information/feedback is disconcerting, and while I agree it would be nice, there's a reason it's done the way it's done.  You're right that there's no way to study for it, but having said that I'm surprised the PPL holders all failed.  I know having a PPL is no guarantee and PPL holders fail all the time, but it was my understanding that PPL holders statistically do much better at CAPSS than non-experienced applicants (although that would never be advertised since it runs contrary to the official "no experience needed" policy).

Again, sorry to hear about the outcome.

hauger said:
Sorry to hear about the bad luck.  The lack of information/feedback is disconcerting, and while I agree it would be nice, there's a reason it's done the way it's done.  You're right that there's no way to study for it, but having said that I'm surprised the PPL holders all failed.  I know having a PPL is no guarantee and PPL holders fail all the time, but it was my understanding that PPL holders statistically do much better at CAPSS than non-experienced applicants (although that would never be advertised since it runs contrary to the official "no experience needed" policy).

Again, sorry to hear about the outcome.

Shit happens. I was mentally set to go ACSO until I got the call for pilot testing 2.5 weeks ago so this would have just been a bonus. I plan on going ACSO for a few years and getting my PPL then I'll try for pilot again. I'll get there eventually and I honestly feel like I could sit in the CAPSS right now and fly it for all 4 sessions damn near perfect.

I feel bad for the guys with PPL's, they were pretty distraught afterwards, like their whole world had just ended. I'm more optimistic that this is just a bump in the road.

Time to hit the gym then pack my stuff and head back home. Overall it was a good experience.

So I just got back from my Aircrew Selection. Very nice base, friendly people, overall great experience. My group consisted of 4 guys (including myself). 3/4 failed including myself. At first I felt very bad, but like .bp said I'll take it as a bump in the road.
The 4th session was surprisingly difficult, my problem was that I was not flying my instruments properly, and was flying the rectangular circuit disregarding my heading mainly.
The instructor said that the pass rate for the second time around is 90-95%, so I figure I'll get my PPL and play the waiting game. I only applied about 7 months ago, so I'm fairly new in the sense that I havn't been waiting too long compare to alot of people.
If there's one piece of advice I can give, it's FLY YOUR INSTRUMENTS all the time! (Just like it says in the blue book)

Speak to you guys in a year,

Snyper

Snyper,

Sorry to hear things didn't go your way at Aircrew Selection. Keep the good, persistent attitude though. Patience and never giving up seem to be two key ingredients in becoming a successful pilot applicant.

All the best,

Beech.

Back