• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Misrepresentation as a Soldier

dustinm

Inactive
Reaction score
Okay, two things: First, I did a search. Read a bit of info but there's not too much on this situation in particular (if it's out there, I'd appreciate some links.)

Second, this is being posted on behalf of a friend of mine, regarding a mutual friend. We'll call him Man A and Woman B. Man A was a Reservist for approximately 6 weeks (High-School Co-op.) Didn't complete BMQ before he quit. He retained his dog tags.

He takes a trip down to the United States, and returns with tales about how he used his dog tags to obtain military discounts, and talked about being a soldier but "not being active." Woman B, being a staunch supporter of the military with several close friends and relatives, is outraged.

The question is, is there really anything that can be done to him other than chewing him out (in the realm of legal reprimand)?

He obviously doesn't have a uniform, but the dog tags are (if I understand things correctly) DND property that shouldn't be misused, and probably should have been returned when he left his BMQ. And claiming to be a soldier is simply inexcusable.

Thanks for any light you guys can shed on what's probably a very long shot.

See, I don't even ask for military discounts, and I'm a serving member.  The reason for that is simple, I've just finished the training system.  Haven't done a tour, never been shot at, haven't done the full job yet.  And until I do, I really don't feel like I'm entitled to anybody's thanks or gratuities.

That being said, this guy is just a bloody git who is taking advantage of the good nature of US citizens and their respect for the CF.  Legally I don't know if anything can be done, I'll let someone else answer that.  But in terms of ethics, this guy's moral compass must have a very big bubble in it.  ::)

Neo Cortex said:
Man A was a Reservist for approximately 6 weeks (High-School Co-op.) Didn't complete BMQ before he quit. He retained his dog tags.

I'd bet real money that he was never issued dog tags (or ID discs in Canadian terms).  They come with a permanent military ID which is not normally issued to reservists until they have been in for a time (measured in years), and once one has submitted the paperwork for a permanent ID it can take months for them to show up.

I'd guess that Man A bought his ID disc himself; they are available commercially with whatever you want engraved on them.

MedKAWD said:
See, I don't even ask for military discounts, and I'm a serving member.  The reason for that is simple, I've just finished the training system.  Haven't done a tour, never been shot at, haven't done the full job yet.  And until I do, I really don't feel like I'm entitled to anybody's thanks or gratuities.

It's a military discount, not a "served overseas and got shot at" discount!  If a merchant wants to give you a break because you're in the Forces then don't be shy about taking advantage.  You're doing your bit, whatever that is, whether you're in Canada or elsewhere.

N. McKay is right it's a military discount, your call/choice to use it or not. I got a discounntn on CAA membership for the wife and free admission to the war museum last time I was there as a former/retired CF member. Didn't really ask for them, but what the hell it was offered and I took it.

As for the mouth breather, well technically he did serve albeit briefly and therefore is our "brother in arms." That said there is a fine line between slightly exagerating ones exploits ( usually in a bar and with one purpose goal) and pure Waltism and this guy has crossed it. Doubtful there is any official recourse to dealign with him, however [Mod hat off] there was a old school self imposed justice system imposed on such posers, I'd suggest public ridicule, but drwa the line at that, much as it sounds like he needs a smack upside the head and his ID Discs ripped off. [Mod hat on]

Why not write to the Commandant of your local base (I hope i got that right) for guidance. Civies can do that and should do that if CF members are acting inappropriately or being impersonated.

I did it when a gentleman in uniform proceeded for weeks on end to arrive bombed, in uniform, to my bar and act like a DB and intimidate/threaten me. I was offered sound advice and a knowledge of what paths/options I could take.

There is really nothing that can be done against a guy who is asking for and receiving military discounts from merchants.  It is the merchants' choice as to what discounts or incentive programs they offer and what they accept as proof.  Having said that, I'm surprised anyone would accept dog tags as proof of military service, current or otherwise.  Even the CF doesn't do that for our own members!  No gate guard should ever let someone on a base with just their dog tags as proof of ID.  It's just an engraved piece of metal that anyone can get!  I remember years ago when working as the cashier on a base where a member tried to collect an advance on his claim with only his dog tags as proof of identity (NB: the only acceptable proof of ID is your CF ID card).  He pleaded with me right up until I pointed out that his name on the claim and the one on his dog tags were spelled differently.

Pusser said:
It is the merchants' choice as to what discounts or incentive programs they offer and what they accept as proof. 

I think as long as a discount does not cut too much into their profit margin, many merchants are happy to make a sale.

N. McKay said:
I'd bet real money that he was never issued dog tags (or ID discs in Canadian terms).  They come with a permanent military ID which is not normally issued to reservists until they have been in for a time (measured in years), and once one has submitted the paperwork for a permanent ID it can take months for them to show up.
[sidebar]That must be a Command/Regional variation - mine appeared within a few weeks of my first temp ID, and without any additional paperwork from my end.[/sidebar]

N. McKay said:

I'd guess that Man A bought his ID disc himself; they are available commercially with whatever you want engraved on them.

The ID discs are (can be) issued immediately on enrollment, typically, if a reservist doesn't have them, it's because the OR hasn't done the paper work.

The permanent ID is issued after 2 years service, to reserve NCMs.

quadrapiper said:
[sidebar]That must be a Command/Regional variation - mine appeared within a few weeks of my first temp ID, and without any additional paperwork from my end.[/sidebar]

Looks like I'd lose that bet, then!  Thanks for the info.

Agreed with the dog tags to Reservists.

When I was in the mo-litia, those sorts of things were done one at a time.  If you went on that Tuesday night, you'd get the form and get your dog tags next month, etc.

The MP Section at the ASU In the Sault order you a new pair every time you renew your ID, 7 pair's and counting now.

MedKAWD said:

Lots of folks in the CF (army, navy and air force) will never "do a tour" or get shot at...they are still military.  I know what you mean...but just sayin'.  My father did 28 years, thousands of flying hours...no tour, and never shot at.  He still served Canada, no?

8)

As for the faker...well sooner or later, what goes around comes around.  He'll get his.

Eye In The Sky said:
Lots of folks in the CF (army, navy and air force) will never "do a tour" or get shot at...they are still military.  I know what you mean...but just sayin'.  My father did 28 years, thousands of flying hours...no tour, and never shot at.  He still served Canada, no?

Yea, thats true.  Still, 28 years of flying, doing his job, earned it I would say.  Just personally I don't like taking anything, considering I've only been in 2 years and thats all been spent in training.  Some combat arms guys have a full tour in by that time.  You guys are all right though its still service, and once I've been working within my trade, posted and settled, and done some more stuff then I'll be happy to take any discounts offered.  :nod:

Cheers, Kyle

Back