• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Minister Anand announces $1.4 billion investment to upgrade Dwyer Hill Training Centre infrastructure

Yup. The RCAF flew F-86 Sabers out of Downsview…

There will always be people complaining about things that inconvenience them.

As a young Sqn duty officer I received a noise complaint from a citizen in Ottawa who was adamant it was the military. I took down all the details and researched the complaint. Turn out it was the Ornge medevac helicopter landing at the Civic hospital’s landing pad. Want to know what made the complaint even more ridiculous? The complainant was an MD with a home-based practice one block from the Civic hospital. He wasn’t thrilled when he received a Cc: copy of the letter I sent the Ontario Ministry of health on his behalf complaining about the noise created by Ontario’s air ambulance program. (My CO took me off the duty officer roster…perhaps he didn’t appreciate my initiative to stop noise 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Anyway, the whole point is that DND honestly does it’s best not to be jerk to folks in the surrounding area, and not just at DHtC but other places DND has a footprint, but at some point you can’t keep everyone happy. I choose to celebrate the sound of CH-146s or CH-147Fs flying over my backyard. At least they’re not black and spying on me.
I lived ( summers at my Grandparents apartment 1975-1990 ) on Keele Street right across from officer country and the 1 Canadian Forces Supply Depot and would stand or sit on the 8th floor balcony and watch the old war birds come into Downsview to practice or what ever during the CNE Airshow. I was thrilled as a kid, one of the pilots waved at me ( I swear he was waving at me, he seemed eye level to me ). I am too young to remember the F86s, or any other aircraft, besides the Kiowa stationed there. But later in life after being in the army I do recall a Canadair CC 109 Cosmopolitan with a some General visiting the base in the early 90s. Parked at the hanger outside 2 TAW .

But I did read some where a pilot ditched his F86 in a swimming pool south of Wilson Ave I think. I also remember ranges in the field with the backstops near what is the Wilson Train Yard for the TTC, right across from the Subway Station Sheppard West?
I never complained about the noise of the aircraft, or the noise of the train running behind the barracks.

My dad took my brother and me as small kids to watch planes land at YYZ…there was a burger place on Derry Rd. almost right in front of the touchdown to RWY 15L…DC8s, 10s, 707s, 727s, 747s…pre Airbus. Stayed with me.
My mistake. I was thinking of the coffee shop/burger joints on Airport Rd. off the threshold of 23. Very popular with the plane spotter crowd. I think what used to be Pepi's is now a used car lot.

@lenaitch, yes Pepi’s sadly is a used car lot now. They had a bunch of picnic tables on the west side of the place, about as close to the flight path without being flown on top of. The smell of burnt JetA added an amazing pop to the burgers.

@lenaitch, yes Pepi’s sadly is a used car lot now. They had a bunch of picnic tables on the west side of the place, about as close to the flight path without being flown on top of. The smell of burnt JetA added an amazing pop to the burgers.
As an aside, I wonder if that is a result of a change in Pearson traffic flow. Until the late 70s 14/15 was the prime approach. When traffic started to exceed 40 an hour on a consistent basis they switched to the parallels for approaches and to airshow became less and less frequent. No entertainment may have moved the customers over to airport road. Unplanned cause and effect

15 (the single, pre-parallel) was definitely the odd one out. Less efficient flow when it was in use back in the day.

Back