• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

minimal requirements for the RCMP

Jonny Boy

Inactive
Reaction score
i was just wondering what the minimal requirements are for joining the RCMP. i have asked around but i have never really got one strait answer.

from what i have been told you must be fluent in both official languages. is that true? and what other things must you have?

- Edit-  i just realized that there is a topic for questions, could a MOD please move this there? thanks

-Hutch- said:
i
- Edit-   i just realized that there is a topic for questions, could a MOD please move this there? thanks

The thread is fine where it is.

Slim
STAFF

Per a 10 second google:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting/how_to_e.htm

Cheers

OK so it is pretty similar to the requirements to join the military.  thanks for all the info though.

And bi-lingual is definately not a pre-requisite.  I had to use a dictionary for those last two big words, and I've been in seven years.

ya i was talking with a couple of TPS PC's and when i told them i was thinking of joining the RCMP sometime after i try the military out they said i would have to be fully bilingual before i could apply. but now that i know that i don't need french i can look farward to trying out for the RCMP.

2332Piper said:
I see it only requires you to have a secondary school diploma, not any type of post-secondary degree. Interesting, seeing as the MP's require   some sort of law/security diplom/degree and many city police forces are the same.

Any insight on this?

Actually most police forces civi side DO NOT require any post secondary. The MP's are basically on their own.

2332Piper said:
I see it only requires you to have a secondary school diploma, not any type of post-secondary degree. Interesting, seeing as the MP's require  some sort of law/security diplom/degree and many city police forces are the same.

Any insight on this?

a lot of police forces recommend you have post secondary. but it is not a must have.

Life experience guys, life experience.  That's what is the biggest thing most recruiters will want to see.  What have you done in the past year to advance your life?  The past five years?  Most Military members will have this in spades with a tour or two under their belts.  But honestly, don't go get a degree in Criminology, and expect to walk into a Police career.  You will rapidly find out, if you get in, that in your first shift or two, you wasted four years of time.  Book-smart Policing is NOT street Policing.  And I'm not saying that to sound like a "been there, done that" guy.  That's just the truth.

Blackhorse7 said:
Life experience guys, life experience.   That's what is the biggest thing most recruiters will want to see.   What have you done in the past year to advance your life?   The past five years?   Most Military members will have this in spades with a tour or two under their belts.   But honestly, don't go get a degree in Criminology, and expect to walk into a Police career.   You will rapidly find out, if you get in, that in your first shift or two, you wasted four years of time.   Book-smart Policing is NOT street Policing.   And I'm not saying that to sound like a "been there, done that" guy.   That's just the truth.

Its Phrases like this that give me hope, seeing as ive never been a great student. at least in the traditional system....

This isn't for the RCMP but I thought since it's basically the same category.

Is it true being in the military covers the "1 year of college" requirement for becoming a police officer? (so you don't have to go to college)

ThatsLife said:
This isn't for the RCMP but I thought since it's basically the same category.

Is it true being in the military covers the "1 year of college" requirement for becoming a police officer? (so you don't have to go to college)

Not every police force has a "one year college" requirement. It depends on the department. which force are you refering too?

IN ONTARIO: THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENT FOR ANY POLICE SERVICE EXCEPT RCMP ARE:

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS

Age 18 - 65 years of age

Education minimum grade 12 or equivalent, post-secondary is advantageous

Residence Canadian Citizen or permanent residency status 

Background no criminal convictions without pardon and be of good moral character and habits

Vision minimum of 20/40 (uncorrected), with normal colour acuity

Hearing must meet hearing standards as established by the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police

Driving Ontario class "G" licence (upon submitting application) a quality driving record with less than six demerit points

First Aid / CPR certified in level C prior to employment

So there you have it... and in case youre wondering I took this from the toronto police service web page.
approxamite search time, less then a minute...

if you really want to find out some of these answers just do a google search. it really doesnt take that long, and then youre not stuck waiting here all night wondering what the answer is....

regards
  Josh

This is coming from my program co-ordinator at Centennial College, He is a retired D/Sgt with Toronto and he worked in the recruiting section.  Basically what he has told us is Post-Secondary is not mandatory for police services in Ontario (yet), all it does is give you a tick in the box compared to other would be candidates. And if it is police related (ie a police foundations program), it will probably give you a leg up at Alymer (Ontario Police College).  Aside from that post-secondary is also beneficial if  you want to move up in the ranks and not be a PC for ever (some people do though).  What they (police recruiters) want is potential candidates to have "life experience", ie that they have done something (anything) other than straight schooling.  If you go through Toronto Star Archives you can find stories of recent classes, were they had recruits who were a Dentist, computer programmer, secretary, Colonel with the Indian Air Force, you get the idea.

2332Piper said:
So say someone (like me in a few years time) had almost 5 years in the reserves (I know, I know, as a piper, but I try to play soldier when they let me), a Criminology degree (which I'll be entering into next year) and cadet experience (if that counts as 'life experience', although that may be streatching it).

Would that be sufficient 'life experience' to make me an advantgeous candidate? From my research, it seems that many forces are loath to take an 18 year old fresh out of high school (22+ seems to be favourable) and I figure getting a degree would be a good use of my time, to keep as many options open down the road and give me that 'tick in the box'. Or is there a better option (switching to reg force infantry/something else and ding a tour or two, etc etc).

What is better life experience, some military and an education or say pure military experience? I want to get into law enforcement eventually, and I sort of want the university education (if I can avoid it and still have as many options open, thats good and could be a consideration).
"Life Experience" is just that, you have gone out and done something other than sit in a classroom rotting you brain and going bankrupt.  They (At least in Toronto) don't care were that experience comes from, as I already pointed out.  I know I am not a cop, but my intstuctors at school were/are, and all of them were/are involved somehow in recruiting/training.  This info is straight from them.  Hell they even told us, if we feel ready to apply there is no need to finish the program,  granted only like 4-6 people in my class of 60 were under 21, so thats probably why were told that. 

As for the military angle, when I went to an ECI/LFI mentoring session run by Toronto, the recruiter described interviewing a guy who spent a little over in a decade in the regs as an Engineer, and immedidately after him a woman who had run a catering company for about the same length of time.  While both people had very different backgrounds, and different stories about dealing with stress/pressure/self control etc.  It was thier abilities to articulate those experiences and relate them back to the questions posed at them by the recruiters, that got them the job, not what they had done.  Thats what they are looking for, the ability to relate events in your life to a list of competencies.  The more things you have done in your life the easier it is, to do that.

Back