• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mini UAVs and 'B' bty

Goober

Inactive
Reaction score
According to the CO of 1RCHA, B bty is going to change over from the guns to mini-uavs here is an interesting article about Canada's interests in the mini-uavs

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/2005/12/canada-crafting-highend-uav-requirements/index.php

With the M777 and its digital fire control system, the OP, and CP are eliminated, the OP is going to be replaced by the mini-uavs. I've used the digital fire control system, and its pretty damn good. No more director, no more OP or CP and no more G.D. bubbles. You can be laid and firing within 1 minute and 30 seconds of recieving a 10 figure grid.

The artillery is changing, and its a good time to be along for the ride.

Quote,
the OP, and CP are eliminated,

Now I know technology is amazing but NO OP or CP sounds like a pipe dream....machines can't make up for the unexpected which should be SOP to be expected.

I was just down in Picatinny arsenal on an industry tour. We were told that Canada is not purchasing the digital fire control system by the US Army M777 project manager.  Maybe I heard wrong... it appears what goober is referring to is some sort of gun laying system, which is different from an actual fire control system.  The digital fire control system transfers all the data from the OP to the CP, the American system is the AFATDS.

We will never get rid of OPs.  Who's going to carry the mini UAV? Who's going to advise the Supported Arm Commander on how/when to engage targets? Who's going to talk on the Close Air Support?  When the UAV crashes into the ground or the nearest tree, or a DShk takes it out of the sky, who's going to call for fire?

We'll never get rid of CPs either.  We need a C2 element to control fireplans, conduct clearances of fire, issue data.

The M777, as it will be used in Canada, is not autonomous and still relies on the rest of the artillery team to perform as we expect it to.

The digital fire control system I was talking about is LINAPS, which were are getting from the brits, they use it on one of thier 105mm howitzers, and thier M777s. Its an amazing system. Not sure if I can go into detail about how it works, but I can say it works. Amazingly. However it is not a true 'fire control' system, rather, as horsegunner353 said, a gun laying system.

No OP and CP does sound like a pipe dream. My first post was the 'idea' the uppers had, as it was posed to us, before Christmas break. What horsegunner353 says makes too much sense for it to be reality.

We must keep in mind that the mini UAV is not going to be an "artillery" asset.  The artillery is going to fly them in Afghanistan because we are the closest to having the requisite skill sets needed to fly them competently in theatre.

Eventually, the mini UAV will migrate to the infantry, armoured, engineers, CSS, MPs, etc for their needs.  So the idea that the OPs will be replaced by UAVs is false, and dangerously misleading.

I can see a day in the future where there is no battery CP, recce is limited and the link from OP to gun is direct (given precision munitions), but that is in the future and will not likely occur for many years.

Anyone know who within the Cbt Arms have been identified as COE for UAV ops?? or has this not been confirmed yet

COE should be the STA Tp of Tactics Bty, Field Arty School (RCA).  SI STA is a good friend of mine, and he's been really busy with UAV doctrine lately, so I'm assuming he's going to be the COE.

The Artillery School was designated COE for all Land Force UAVs threee years ago, prior to the arrival of the Sperwer.  And Horsegunner is right, the doctrine for all UAVs is being intensely written by Tactics Battery at the school.

Back