• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Millennials leading increased Remembrance Day attendance

walrath said:
I didn't realize it was the PM's duty to be at the War Memorial downtown Ottawa on Remembrance Day every year without exception. I don't think the organizers of the APEC summit factored in the ceremonies at the war memorial into their planning cycle.
I'm personally not concerned if he's there or not;  the ceremonies aren't about him (also I have several, more significant reasons to be unhappy with his governance).  I thought that the Sun opinion piece that started all this was a pretty pathetic effort, more appropriate to the Fox network.

My bashing in this thread is entirely because he's supposed  to be representing Canada at some high-stakes (for Canadian economy and employment) trade meetings;  given his previous lack of significant employment and his proclivity for selfies, I'm not remotely surprised that he considered the Facebook COO a more worthy use of his time.

[quote author=Blackadder1916]

I suppose PM Trudeau could just tell his fellow leaders in APEC to "go f*** themselves because he has to attend a ceremony for a couple of hours in Ottawa" and that Canada doesn't really care about trade in the Pacific Rim.  Yeah, that works for me.
[/quote]

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/apec-trans-pacific-summit-leaders-1.4396312

ooops.
Glad he made it to Facebook though. I wonder what they talked about.

Journeyman said:
I'm personally not concerned if he's there or not;  the ceremonies aren't about him (also I have several, more significant reasons to be unhappy with his governance).  I thought that the Sun opinion piece that started all this was a pretty pathetic effort, more appropriate to the Fox network.

My bashing in this thread is entirely because he's supposed  to be representing Canada at some high-stakes (for Canadian economy and employment) trade meetings;  given his previous lack of significant employment and his proclivity for selfies, I'm not remotely surprised that he considered the Facebook COO a more worthy use of his time.

I'm not sure what the 'previous lack of significant employment' means.  Is this an example of fake news?

jollyjacktar said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/apec-trans-pacific-summit-leaders-1.4396312

It appears he cannot show to these important meetings either.  So much for his "needing to be there" argument, he doesn't seem to think he needs to be.  Guess he did indeed tell them to go f*** themselves.    :turkey:

Perhaps he's self medicating

Journeyman said:

Well, if you think teaching isn't significant employment... at least he's not a career politician like the leaders of the other two political parties.

Personally, I'm still a die-hard Rhino supporter...

dapaterson said:
Well, if you think teaching isn't significant employment... at least he's not a career politician like the leaders of the other two political parties.

Personally, I'm still a die-hard Rhino supporter...

To be honest 3 years as part substitute teacher is not what I call good prep for leading the people of Canada, although perhaps it is.....especially in regards to his drama experience.

jollyjacktar said:
It appears he cannot show to these important meetings either.  So much for his "needing to be there" argument, he doesn't seem to think he needs to be.  Guess he did indeed tell them to go f*** themselves.    :turkey:

There was more than the TPP going on at APEC.  After all, only eleven of the twenty-one APEC nations (my numbers may be off one or two, but I'm too lazy at the moment to do the research) are still in TPP negotiations.  That being said, sometimes one has to be in location to tell others to go f*** themselves.  It can be a good negotiating tactic.  While there is probably more to the story, at first glance it appears that instead of the TPP negotiations collapsing because of Trudeau not showing up at the meeting, consensus on "core elements" (in public at least) has now been reached.  The intransigence of a few countries to accept these core elements as previously agreed to was supposedly one of the reason that he skipped the meeting.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tpp-apec-summit-talks-1.4396984
Breaking
TPP partners reach agreement on 'core elements' of Pacific trade deal, Canada says
By John Paul Tasker, CBC News  Posted: Nov 10, 2017 12:14 PM ET| Last Updated: Nov 10, 2017 1:27 PM ET

The 11 Trans-Pacific Partnership countries have reached an agreement on "core elements" of the trade pact, namely that all countries will adhere to strict labour and environment standards, a development Canada is championing as a major breakthrough after talks broke down earlier Friday.

A final agreement in principle is still in the works because the countries have not settled on all aspects of the deal.

The original TPP, which is currently under renegotiation after U.S. President Donald Trump pulled America out of the deal, included strong provisions that demanded all member countries eliminate child and forced labour, adopt and maintain laws and practices governing "acceptable conditions of work," and uphold the right to collective bargaining.

But some countries, including Malaysia and Vietnam, sought to opt out of such provisions during the talks, something Canada felt was untenable.

Those countries have now come back onside, International Trade Minister Philippe-Francois Champagne said, and have agreed to the terms of the original TPP.

"We got a better deal for Canada, we were also able to enhance the progressive elements — as the prime minister says you don't do trade in the 21st century like you did before," he said.

All countries have agreed now to implement regulations around minimum wages, hours of work and occupational safety and health, for example, something the original TPP called for.

Champagne said if a country does not adhere to these requirements as called for in the agreement, any country could haul another offending partner in front of a trade tribunal, and they would be subject to the dispute resolution process.

The 11 partner countries have now put "four specific items" aside to allow for further negotiations, notably chapters relating to rules of origin, which includes automotive parts, before a deal is signed.

The chapter relating to intellectual property has been "suspended," which means, in plain terms, that it will no longer be part of a renegotiated TPP, a victory for Canada as many companies — notably Blackberry's former CEO Jim Balsillie — were worried about that chapter.

Canada is also pushing partners to change provisions relating to culture. Canada said the other 10 countries did "affirm the right of each party to preserve, develop and implement its cultural policies," but specifics have yet to be finalized.

Some observers have warned the text of the original TPP, negotiated by the former Conservative government and ultimately signed by the Liberals shortly after they took office, would undermine the federal government's promotion of Canadian culture through funding for artists and financial support for film production, periodicals and public broadcasting.

The original TPP deal included weaker protections for cultural industries than in other trade treaties, including NAFTA and CETA, the Canada-EU free trade deal.

The preamble to TPP recognized the rights of countries to regulate certain sectors — public health, safety, the environment — but notably left cultural industries off the list, a departure for Canada, which, under governments of all political stripes, has pushed for a lot of leeway for federal and provincial governments alike to support cultural industries without fear of reprisal at a trade tribunal.

Canada blamed for delay

Earlier Friday, a planned meeting of TPP countries was unexpectedly cancelled after Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau skipped the event when bilateral talks with his Japanese counterpart ended in disagreement.

Liberal government officials refuted international reports — notably from Australian and New Zealand news outlets — that suggested Canada alone was to blame for delayed TPP talks.

At the time, a spokesperson for the prime minister said there was no consensus between the 11 member countries.

Now, we just have to wait and see if the deal holds, or if the Canadian version of unfolding events is correct.  If so, then "well played".  However, I'm still not a total fan of the TPP as it is currently written.

dapaterson said:
Well, if you think teaching isn't significant employment...
Are you referring to his occasional stint as a substitute math teacher when a full-time teacher called in sick, or his time as a snowboarding and white-water rafting instructor?

And to temporarily suspend the time honoured sport of Trudeau insulting, a brief return to what he will be doing on Remembrance Day in terms of ceremony attendance.

https://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2017/11/09/update-itinerary-november-10-and-11-2017

Itinerary for the Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, for Saturday, November 11, 2017:  (all times local - it is now around 0230 hrs, Nov 11 in Vietnam https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/vietnam/da-nang)

6:30 p.m. The Prime Minister will participate in a Ceremony of Remembrance.

Meliá Danang Hotel

Note for media:
◾Open coverage

Journeyman said:
Are you referring to his occasional stint as a substitute math teacher when a full-time teacher called in sick, or his time as a snowboarding and white-water rafting instructor?

He was a teacher.  I get it, you have an issue with the PM. If you have a problem with him being a teacher as well, that's your own personal issue.

RocketRichard said:
He was a teacher.  I get it, you have an issue with the PM. If you have a problem with him being a teacher as well, that's your own personal issue.
Well gosh, that's pretty magnanimous of you. Thank you for allowing me my opinion.

However, my "issue" is not remotely with teachers -- I actually know a few --it's believing that governing the country requires more skill-sets than are acquired as a snowboard instructor.

"He's just not ready"... still.  Obviously.

In retrospect (and apology) I shouldn't have suggested he planned to miss remembrance day on purpose or that it was calculated.
I firmly believe his PR team (I'm not sure the polite word or term for handlers?) are very good at what they do, that's all. If he's out of the country for 11 November I'm confident his team planned something clever.

Blackadder1916 said:
And to temporarily suspend the time honoured sport of Trudeau insulting, a brief return to what he will be doing on Remembrance Day in terms of ceremony attendance.

https://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2017/11/09/update-itinerary-november-10-and-11-2017

Link comes up as

We couldn't find that Web page

We're sorry you ended up here. Sometimes a page gets moved or deleted, but hopefully we can help you find what you're looking for. What next?

:rofl:  the weapons of mass destruction can't be found...... Loved that search result back in the Bush leagues too

Jarnhamar said:
Link comes up as

Well, you could have continued reading the next line which said "◾Return to the home page" and then opened "Itinerary for Saturday, November 11, 2017", or . . .

Try  https://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/itineraries  and open 11 November.

You're right, I could have. Thanks for the help.  I was reading some interesting stuff about the dealing going on over there but I'll save it for a more appropriate thread.

As mentioned a quick trip to Hong Kong to remember our losses there would have hit the right tone and be worth a lot of brownie points with wavering voters, his staff decided to let a opportunity slide on by. These meetings are planned months in advance, telling others that you won't be available for 2 days to take part in a national ceremony would be accepted and accommodated. 

I think the Apple didn't fall far from the tree with his views on the military.  Like father, like son.

On a more positive note, it is warming to see an increase in Millennials (or indeed anyone) attending Remembrance day ceremonies, and it certainly goes against a lot of decades worth of anti-war and anti military "narrative", so the fact people are slowly rejecting the narrative is good to know.

I always like to go back to my namesake on Remembrance day, and think on the meaning of the "Funeral Oration", especially this part:

“What I would prefer is you should fix your eyes every day on the greatness of Athens as she really is, and fall in love with her. When you realize her greatness, then reflect what made her great were men with a spirit of adventure, men who knew their duty, men who were ashamed to fall below a certain standard. If they ever failed in an enterprise, they made up their minds that at any rate the city would not find their courage lacking to her, and they gave to her the best contribution that they could. They gave her their lives, to her and to all of us, and for their own selves they won praises that never grow old, the most splendid of sepulchers- not the sepulcher where their body is laid but where their glory remains eternal in men’s minds, always there on the right occasion to stir others to speech or to action.”

Lets hope that they are perhaps becoming those men and women with "a spirit of adventure" as well.

Towards_the_gap said:
I gave a 40min presentation to about 100 7/8 graders at the local school......As I was setting up, the teacher admits to me 'You know, when I tell them about Afghanistan I tell them about how it was peacekeeping'......me, thinking about the helmet cam video of a .50 firing from our rooftop OP during a TIC.." Yeah it wasn't really peacekeeping, you have to make peace (through superior firepower I thought to myself) in order to keep it....."

I gave a 40-minute talk to 150 kids (not sure of the age range, but probably 15 to 18) and didn't once mention peacekeeping other than to say that today Remembrance Day is to honour the fallen of WWI, WWII and all subsequent wars and peacekeeping operations. I made no bones about what goes on overseas and included a video of my callsign almost being blown up.

What really impacted these kids was when I mentioned that not all those killed on my deployment were career army; especially noting that one was a high school teacher and one was barely out of high school (I actually had one of the teachers thank me for mentioning Zach McCormack as she knew the family). I think that got to them more than some 70-year old from the Legion telling them a lot of the dead in WWII were not much older than them.

This year it seemed that more of the kids (and teachers) thanked me than when I did this two years ago...but it was a significantly bigger school.

Back