• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military service and politics

Y

Yes Man

I was just wondering why it is that you never hear about any Canadian politicians with military experience. I have been paying some attention to American politics and over there it seems to be a major issue when a candidate has spent time in the military. When ever the press it talking about candidates they bring up the fact that they fought in Korea, Vietnam etc...But in Canada it seems that no politician has ever spent time in the service. Any idea why that is?

I think that question you just asked pretty much sums up the cultural devide between our two great nations.

Slim

I think the last Minister of Defence we had who wore a uniform was Barney Danson who was in the QOR in WWII and landed on Juno Beach on June 6, 1944, and he was Minister what 30 odd years ago.

To be honest I can‘t think of a PM who‘s ever been in uniform. Even been what 50 or so years since we‘ve had a GG who wore a uniform.

Back