• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military police..training...what its like?

Wow, it sounds like nothing has really changed in 25 years. Civilian agencies still not recognizing mil quals....imagine that isn't that much of a surprise.

If my kids asked this same question to me now, I would tell them not to take this route if they think it is a shortcut to city police job, or any other civy job for that matter. The problem is that civilian agencies are run by old-boy networks, most of which could never pass mil fitness standards. If they understood the wisdom of hiring trained soldiers, maybe they would stop pretending to be soldiers.

Military police is just a different sandbox. If you get accepted for training, run with it. Just don't expect another public service sandbox to accept you as one of them. Just know when you get out, there will be a few enlightened agencies who will put you to work. Keep in mind many of them will be private....LOL!

amancalledhawk said:
If my kids asked this same question to me now, I would tell them not to take this route if they think it is a shortcut to city police job, or any other civy job for that matter.

They might also want to read this,

CF experience relevant to RCMP, civ policing? (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/32733.0
9 pages.

amancalledhawk said:
Wow, it sounds like nothing has really changed in 25 years. Civilian agencies still not recognizing mil quals....imagine that isn't that much of a surprise.

If my kids asked this same question to me now, I would tell them not to take this route if they think it is a shortcut to city police job, or any other civy job for that matter. The problem is that civilian agencies are run by old-boy networks, most of which could never pass mil fitness standards. If they understood the wisdom of hiring trained soldiers, maybe they would stop pretending to be soldiers.

Military police is just a different sandbox. If you get accepted for training, run with it. Just don't expect another public service sandbox to accept you as one of them. Just know when you get out, there will be a few enlightened agencies who will put you to work. Keep in mind many of them will be private....LOL!

It's more than whether or not the civilian police agencies what to accept MP training or not.  It usually boils down to what is in their Provincial Police Act.  The last time I looked at the Ontario Act there were provisions for accepting other training and it essentially stated that anyone being hired with prior experience must have gone through OPC, in the case of Ontario applicants, or some other accredited provincial policing academy.  While CFMPA provides excellent training, in some cases better than civilian academies, it is not accredited under any provincial police Act and therefore isn't eligible for lateral transfers unless the Province has enacted some exemption.  I don't know of any agency that wouldn't want the opportunity to accept trained MPs without having to pay to send them through some provincial police academy if they could.

amancalledhawk said:

Based on the large number of ex-MP I know who work for Halifax, Edmonton, Toronto and Sudbury I have to disagree with you.  I wouldn't say it is a shortcut but most civilian departments love to hire ex-MP who come with good credentials (not a known thud).  Heck, the OPP Staff Sgt in my community is ex-MP.

Out of curiosity, I looked up what the Toronto Police Service currently accepts for lateral entry,

Successful completion of recruit training at the Ontario Police College, R.C.M.P. Depot or the accredited facilities below:
◦British Columbia Institute of Justice
◦Edmonton Police Service
◦Calgary Police Service
◦Saskatchewan Police College
◦Winnipeg Police Service
◦Ecole Nationale de Police du Quebec
◦Atlantic Police Academy
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/careers/uni_lateral_entry.php

Also,
"Minimum two years of continuous service following graduation."
Two years of continuous service following graduation would, I guess, be fairly similar in Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg and Toronto.

Back