• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Myths

enfield

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok, I have a few military "urban myths" that I‘ve heard around and I‘d like to get them confirmed to denied...

1) A Cdn sniper tradition is to get a spider web tattoed on your elbow, and for each "kill" get a fly tattooed on. I‘m not sure I buy this one, though I have seen some Regs with this type of tattoo.

2) In the 70‘ sor 80-‘s the CAR was used to quell a prison riot, and did so in a rather.. brutal, yet impressive way - ie, had the convicts running for their lives and cowering in cells as the paratroopers went in with their bare hands.
I heard this one from a reliable source, but I think it‘s been exaggerated over time.

3) Britain has been at war somewhere in the world everyday since 1945. By "war" I mean in a combat situation, if not actually being shot at. I‘ve heard some historians mention this, but have never actual tried to sort it out.

4) Civvie police cannot come onto DND property without permission. Like, say, a mess party at an armoury in a city gets rowdy...

As to #3 it is true.
#1 Malaya
#2 Borneo
#3 Yemen
#4 Rohdesia
#5 Kenya
#6 And verious Sultenate‘s with in the Persian Gulf.
#7 Belize
The list is long and a good read.

There is a good web site I came across and will post here when I find it all about Briton‘s War‘s.

#4 True must have M.P.‘s present to enter and search and arrest on D.N.D. property.

Enfield-1. spider web "thing" is a gang thing from L.A. criminal gangs 2. REG F units were used before early 80‘s to quell prison riots,( Aid to Civil Power) (CAR, never heard of it) (3RCR-late 60‘s -yes) 3. see above post 4. MPs have jurisdiction,however,usually,nowadays, call civ police ASAP.

Originally posted by Enfield:
[qb]3) Britain has been at war somewhere in the world everyday since 1945. By "war" I mean in a combat situation, if not actually being shot at. I‘ve heard some historians mention this, but have never actual tried to sort it out.[/qb]
Maybe Britain has, but not necessarily the British SAS.

My dad emailed me a little humourous note regarding SAS recruiting posters through the years. Apparently, their poster for 1985 showed some SAS lads in swimmies on a beach, under a palm tree, beers in hand. The caption was, "In 1985 we took a little vacation." It was the only year since their inception in 1945 that they were not in action somewhere in the world.

[qb]4) Civvie police cannot come onto DND property without permission. Like, say, a mess party at an armoury in a city gets rowdy...[/qb]
I‘ve met lots of civvie coppers. Almost all of them have no qualms whatsoever about appearing literally anywhere within their beat for any flimsy excuse, thumbing their nose at protocol. Several times, visits were paid to the Polish consulate on Lakeshore Blvd in Toronto by divisional detectives, in some cases to make arrests, despite warnings that it is in fact property of the government of Poland, and not subject to Canadian laws. I doubt any "DND property - defense de passer!" sign would keep out your average city cop.

Re point #2:

The AB rumour I heard was regarding a crack-down on biker types in Edmonton -- along the lines of a co-ord effort between city police and the AB (when they used to be stationed in Edmonton).

Re point #4:

An armoury is a public place, not a private residence. Any of the ones I‘ve visited were open - anyone could walk in to look around (which is when the Adjt or RSm attempts to button-hole them).

If a civilian PO wandered into a public place and saw a crime being committed, he could legally intervene (**** , any civilian could intervene if it were one a certain group of crimes). He might then be required to call the MPs, but I think it would be hard to toss the arrest or any evidence based on a lack of jurisdiction.

It might be more interesting if the PO went specifically to conduct a search or arrest. Without a warrant, it would be highly suspect - particularly if he wanted to search areas that were not open to the public view. With a warrant, the legal attack would focus on the grounds for the warrant and the potential lack of jurisdiction. Part of the analysis in such a case would be "good faith" -- did the PO honestly and reasonably believe he had jurisdiction.

Despite what we see on TV, I think most police are quite willing to co-operate with other departments. I understand that in Edmonton, e.g., the stretch of 97 St between Griesbach and Namao is frequently patrolled by the MPs -- who will issue tickets to civilians. I would also speculate that when a domestic assault occurs on a base, a 911 call might bring in city cops rather than MPs. I doubt this would interfere with prosecuting the case.

Finally, don‘t think that the base will become a haven - if people can be arrested in their lawyer‘s office, they can be gotten pretty much anywhere. It may just take an extra phone call - which is easy to do when everyone carries a cel!

Britains Small Wars:

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/main/index1.html

About Point #1, This week I got the regular macleans magazine and on page 25 at the top there is a picture of a woman putting on her helmet. Right behind her there is a man lying down and you can see his elbow with a spider web tatoo on it. Just thought you guys mite find that kind of interesting.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This written above "My dad emailed me a little humourous note regarding SAS recruiting posters through the years. Apparently, their poster for 1985 showed some SAS lads in swimmies on a beach, under a palm tree, beers in hand. The caption was, "In 1985 we took a little vacation." It was the only year since their inception in 1945 that they were not in action somewhere in the world."

Sorry urban myth, in 1985 officers and men of 22nd SAS Regiment received one Military Medal and three Queen‘s Gallantry Medals whilst on active service in Ulster.

Yours,
Jock in Sydney

Thank you Jock,as I posted above the Brit. Army in one form our another has been in and still action since 1945!Re, Belize,the Gulf.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It‘s funny but tonight whilst out at dinner we were discussing this subject of British Army war service.

There has been at no time that British soldiers were not on active service throughout the world (not including the Berlin Garrison, which was always on active service until it finished in 1991) since the end of WWII.
Palestine, Burma, India, Sudan, Ereatria, Canal Zone, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malaya, Korea, British Guinea, Jamica, British Honduras/Belize, Cameroons, Cyprus, Egypt, South Arabia, Oman, Ulster, Falklands, Sierra Leone, Gulf, Former Yugoslavia, Borneo, Java, French Indo-China, Libya, Greece, Trieste, Basotuland, Zimbabwe/Rhodesia, the Congo, Rwanda, Tanganika, Uganda, Zanzibar, Mauritius; as well as Aid to the Civil Power in such as Hong Kong, Bermuda.

The quitest year since 1945 when apart from troops with the UN in Cyprus, the only men actually in action were in Malaysia and the Oman.

O‘h and of course Afghanistan and other sundry areas around it.

Yours,
Jock in SYdney

Back