• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military I.D. and the LCBO- A "situation"

Retired FDO said:
When my wife and I were posted to Toronto we had to change our driver's licence from NS to Ontario. Not a big deal right? Wrong. It says you need to have a "Government issued ID" What better than the CF ID. Apparently not good enough, never mind the fact that we were in uniform when we went in. The reason was that the Ontario DL was supposed to hold a higher level of security so it can be used to cross the border into the US, CF ID and a Secret Clearance didn't do it. Oh did I mention I had my NS DL as well? Yeah again, not good enough!! So we went home and got our passports (can't fake them right?) And back we went. They then asked if ever had a DL in Ontario before. Because both of us lived in Ontario before we got married and moved to NS they asked we said yes. Why lie you only get in trouble. So they did a check and and I got mine no problem. My wife, because she wasn't married before we moved to NS had hers in her maiden name. They then needed proof of name change. Apparently the CF ID, Passport, NS DL weren't good enough to prove that she had a new last name (for over 20 years I  might add) So off she went to get our marriage licence. She was told it wasn't good enough and she would have to go to the courts and get a legal name change. The fact that across the top of the paper, with provincial coat of arms said "Certificate of Marriage from the Province of Ontario"

LOL. I think I posted this last summer.

Same old stuff and same old "you need to have these things." By the way, my scenario differed in that when they asked had I previously had an Ontario Drivers Licence - I too said yes, "I've had ODLs twice previously, the first when I lived at address, Petawawa, On from Day X to Day Y and the 2nd when I lived at address Belleville, ON from Day X to Day Y. Now, this was without seeing their screen or anything, but I rattled them off. "Oh, there they are says he. What was your postal code in belleville?" I rattled it off. His further response, "Oh well, I know it is you, but the system does not show you having that licence under the same name as your birth certificate - they do NOt match!!"

I know, says I. I was married then. Here's my birth certificate (I had the "official" government issued one) and my passport and my military ID again. See how my passport matches with both pieces of those identifications? "Oh, that does not matter, because we do not show you as previously having had an ODL under your maiden name, you either need to apply for the legal name change (for a fee of XXX $ of course to the Provincial coffers) or apply for the "New Official Provincial copy of your Marriage Certificate" (for a fee of XXX $ of course to the provincial coffers). Apparently, only the computer generated versions of marriage certificates are "unfake" enough now. My copy with the original signatures, serial numbers etc wasn't worth squat.

Because my NB licence was going to be expiring ... and because the Licence Bureau here ended up on strike for months (going on strike a couple days after my first visit to them) ... I contacted the Ontario Ministry of Transport to ask 'WTF is going on with the runaround?

Apparently, it was simply an 'error' on the Drivers Licence Bureau`s part ... the passport (but not the CF id) should have sufficed. So, I had to drive  all the way in Toronto to the main office where 'emergencies' could still be handled during the strike. The nice lady there asked me the same questions about previous ON licences to which I again said `yes`. Oh, you match ... and here`s your new licence 45 seconds later. She didn`t even ask for the damn passport.

Oh yeah, just so you know ... it`s a contractor doing this on behalf of the Ontario Provincial Government now, they weren`t provincial employees that you were dealing with.

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/ExchangeReciprocal.aspx

Exchanging a Reciprocal Licence
Applies to Drivers from the Following Jurisdictions:

Canadian provinces and territories;
Canadian Forces Europe;
United States (applicants from Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Maine, Minnesota, South Carolina, Texas, Utah and Vermont must provide a driving abstract dated within 6 months);
Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Great Britain, Germany, Isle of Man, Japan, Korea, and Switzerland.
PLEASE NOTE:

Applicants requesting an exchange with a driver's licence issued by a Canadian or U.S. jurisdiction are now required to provide documentation to satisfy all three (3) identification requirements2. Driver licences issued by a Canadian or U.S. jurisdiction are only acceptable for signature purposes. However, a Canadian or U.S driver licence may still be presented as proof of driving experience and must be surrendered at time of application.

If your driver’s license is not in English or French, it must be accompanied by a written translation from a qualified translator. Please refer to the "Qualifications of Interpreters and Translators" page for information on the Ministry’s requirements for qualified interpreters and translators.

Applicants from Australia, France, Isle of Man, Japan or Korea must present the following documents:
Australia, France and Isle of Man – Driving abstract dated within 6 months preceding the date of application for an Ontario Driver’s Licence
Japan - Certificate from Japanese Consulate
Korea - Letter of Confirmation from Korean Consulate or Korean Transport Authority (National Police Agency of the Republic of Korea)
Japanese Licences are not required to be surrendered.

If you have an existing driver licensing record in Ontario and the name on your current driver’s license does not match your record in Ontario, you are required to provide a supporting document (e.g. Marriage License, Change of Name Certificate) in order to link your records before you can do an exchange of license.

For acceptable Identification , please refer to the section on "How to Apply for a Driver’s License in Ontario".

2 Proof of legal name, date of birth (must state the day, month and year of birth), and signature 

I'll note that I 'met' their yellow bit.  ::)

How to Apply for a Driver’s License in Ontario

Looking at the quoted (and highlighted) part, it would seem I didn't have to get a copy of our marriage license when I applied for my Ontario EDL, as my ODL was already in my married name.  ::)

Yes, Ontario is "special".  :nod:

PMedMoe said:
Looking at the quoted (and highlighted) part, it would seem I didn't have to get a copy of our marriage license when I applied for my Ontario EDL, as my ODL was already in my married name.  ::)

Yes, Ontario is "special".  :nod:

Well, neither should I have had to jump through the hoops as my 2 previous ODLs were in my married named and matched the name of my NB licence.

Their reasoning was because `when I got those previous two licences, the `new`rules were not in effect. Their rules changed in 2006. So, if you get posted out of Ontario and then posted back in to Ontario ... you too may get smacked by their 'if name DL name doesn't match birth certificate name, must provide X, X, and X as proof.' Your DL from whatever that other province may be is only good as 'proof of signature'.  ::)

Well now I have the "official" Ontario marriage certificate, so I should be good to go.  Besides, I don't plan on leaving Ontario if I can help it.

PMedMoe said:
Well now I have the "official" Ontario marriage certificate, so I should be good to go.  Besides, I don't plan on leaving Ontario if I can help it.

Your career manager just read that.  >:D

The lesson here?  Keep your maiden name, ladies!  Just like they do in the belle province!  ;D

(Or, just don't get married!)  >:D

I didn't want to chime in on this but yes, I was pleasently surprised by the Quebec people that served me recently for both my licence changeover and my plates.  Courteous, kind and talkative.  I called to make an appointment and ended discussing recruiting potential with one lady, her daughter is in cadets...

Anyhow, just as frustrating is going to Purolator to pick up a parcel (while on imposed restriction) and being dressed in uniform, with military ID, with the paper that came from the front door of the house and being told "too bad" that they can't help as you have no proof of address!! I was living in a fully furnished apartment with all utilities inlcuded!  I had no way of proving I lived there except my lease, which I don't drive around with in my car!

Bzz, thats as simple as bringing any piece of mail that you recieved when u lived there. Canada Post did the same to me, but the funniest part is that it was actually registered mail from Ottawa. Go figure, can't get military registered mail with a military id and the delivery slip.

Yes in Ontario I too needed my Passpoert  to get my ODL  apparently my NSDL or my MIL ID  card was good enough. MY Daughter needed her health card, school card, and birth  certificate and citizenship card and citizenship papers (My Lahr Baby)
Nova Scotia, Alberta Manitoba were no problems. Not like this place.

Oh yeas and please ladies keep your maiden name. Its easier for us guys to creep you on Facebook.  ;)

mover1 said:
Yes in Ontario I too needed my Passpoert  to get my ODL  apparently my NSDL or my MIL ID  card was good enough. MY Daughter needed her health card, school card, and birth  certificate and citizenship card and citizenship papers (My Lahr Baby)
Nova Scotia, Alberta Manitoba were no problems. Not like this place.

I've on three separate occasions needed to get a ODL and never had a problem. The first time was back in '88 when I was posted from Cold Lake to NDHQ. Second time was in '99 was when I was in Winnipeg and posted to Italy. To get a valid Italian license you require a valid Canadian DL, unfortunately, Manitoba does not allow drivers to use their license overseas. So, I headed across to Lake of the Woods and changed my license from Manitoba to Ontario. The third time was just a few years ago when I was posted from Winnipeg to Kingston. All three time I showed up at the Motor Vehicles office with my out-of-provincial license and had them changed over in no time flat. As far I remember I was not asked for any documents except for out-of-provincial license, possibly insurance and personal ID.

Retired AF Guy said:
I've on three separate occasions needed to get a ODL and never had a problem. The first time was back in '88 when I was posted from Cold Lake to NDHQ. Second time was in '99 was when I was in Winnipeg and posted to Italy. To get a valid Italian license you require a valid Canadian DL, unfortunately, Manitoba does not allow drivers to use their license overseas. So, I headed across to Lake of the Woods and changed my license from Manitoba to Ontario. The third time was just a few years ago when I was posted from Winnipeg to Kingston. All three time I showed up at the Motor Vehicles office with my out-of-provincial license and had them changed over in no time flat. As far I remember I was not asked for any documents except for out-of-provincial license, possibly insurance and personal ID.

But you're guy.

Not likely that you'll ever change your last name to one that doesn't match your birth certificate now is it?? Also has women having to fork out the bucks to get the "new official" government birth & marriage certificates because the "old official government issued, serial numbered, certified certificates" are no longer considered valid or accepted .... even though those women have previously had ODLs in their married names (and had to prove who they were THEN too).

Just another f'n money grab by the current Ontario government, this time on the backs of women.

This "new" rule by Ontario for ODL ... quite rather impacts ONLY females who dared get married 99.999% of the time.

gcclarke said:
Might I suggest a complaint to the human rights commission?

There's the glitch ... .01 % are men who change their names ... not many, but a few.

ArmyVern said:
There's the glitch ... .01 % are men who change their names ... not many, but a few.

Probably corresponds to the same number that change their gender. 

zipperhead_cop said:
Probably corresponds to the same number that change their gender. 

Technoviking in the UK at his "conference"?

ArmyVern said:
But you're guy.

Sorry, my bad. I didn't catch that it was a specific problem for women.

Just another f'n money grab by the current Ontario government, this time on the backs of women.

I think you hit the problem on the head. And its just not driver's license. To renew my security guard license it costs me $80.00 every year! If you happen to be a security guard and private investigator its $160.00. Just another money grab.

Back