• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military examines camouflage redesign - Does this mean new uniforms?

Kilo_302

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
http://iphone.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/09/09/defence-troops-camouflage-fatigues182.html

Interesting article that points out amoung a few other things.
- All the screaming from politicals and Armchair generals about being ill-equipted and pointing to the green cadpat...... that were found to be better suited in many areas then the Arid pattern.

Now I wonder if they will solve the fading problem with the Cadpat color fastness.  What we have now is an improvement over the initial issue...... Then again maybe that was the plan, Cadpat too dark just wash it a few more times to fade it to taste

In Afg our operations took place in the mountainous regions of the country and the green cadpat fit right in to the rocky, scruby ground.
  I recall being in a firebase on a mtntop covering another spur approx 400m away where a force of Cdn & US troops were moving into posn and the Americans stood out like sore thumbs in their desert cam. We could barely make out the Cdns.

I heard on 680 news today and yesterday that the military is getting new uniforms.
Could someone confirm this?

A Request For Proposals has gone out for a new pattern uniform to replace CADPAT.  It was in The Star and the Globe And Mail yesterday.

New uniform designs incorporating CADPAT are around in prototype form, I saw some being sported by the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa on Maple Defender this year.

SuperTrooper said:
I heard on 680 news today and yesterday that the military is getting new uniforms.
Could someone confirm this?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/09/09/defence-troops-camouflage-fatigues182.html

Son of a B***H!,  and here I just got my new CADPAT rain gear!

"The digitized pattern helps them avoid being spotted with night-vision goggles."

I didn't know this.... I can see people just fine with NVG's on, cadpat or no cadpat. Is the cadpat idea the same and just a different 'printed' pattern? I'm a bit confused how the camo is going to be different.

The pattern was designed for lower resolution NVGs and optics than are currently available to many Western nations.

Great, I suppose it will be ready for the Clone Wars in stardate 3211.4

US Army ACUs anyone, or maybe that goofy USAF gray tiger stripe??

Jammer said:
US Army ACUs anyone, or maybe that goofy USAF gray tiger stripe??

Congress is passing a law saying we have to switch from ACU's to a different pattern. I believe we are going Multicam.

Here I was hoping this was about an actual change to the combats.... not the fabric it's made of.  I mean, is it really a pressing need?  So many other things they could spend the money on.....

Agreed. First time I've heard that the CADPAT pattern is in need of a revamp, compared to the numerous complaints about the actual design (pocket layout etc etc). The article was pretty vague on the actual reason the redesign of CADPAT. Can anyone elaborate on this, or if there is talk about redesigning the actual uniform layout?

Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC) is researching new patterns.

From R&D things go to trials; from trials to decisions on what to do; then to implementation.

That can be a long involved process - don't expect any new pattern to show up en masse before 2014 or so (and even that's optimistic).

SuperTrooper said:
Not anytime soon.

Redeye said:
A Request For Proposals has gone out for a new pattern uniform to replace CADPAT. 
No.  There was an RFP for a better way of developing/evaluating new camouflages.  I suspect the RFP was not a Army initiative but rather something from ADM(S&T) for the folks in Valcartier.

Soldier1stTradesman2nd said:
Can anyone elaborate ... if there is talk about redesigning the actual uniform layout?
Do a search for the Integrated Solider System Project (ISSP).  If anyone has such a mandate, it is that project.

EddieUV777 said:
Congress is passing a law saying we have to switch from ACU's to a different pattern. I believe we are going Multicam.

You may have phrased that wrong...

read up more on the topic
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=159255

Also, as far as I can see you are a civvie so theres no "we" in the "we have to switch from ACUs to a different pattern" it would be "They"

Redeye said:
I saw some being sported by the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa on Maple Defender this year.

Lol...

Whatever you saw wasn't issued. But if that kept the moustaches off our back... ok, sure.

Midnight Rambler said:
Great, I suppose it will be ready for the Clone Wars in stardate 3211.4

And then it'll be good enough to fool current NVG and optic technology.  ;D

helpup said:
Now I wonder if they will solve the fading problem with the Cadpat color fastness.  What we have now is an improvement over the initial issue...... Then again maybe that was the plan, Cadpat too dark just wash it a few more times to fade it to taste

By the time they fade to that point they are full of holes, zipper is toast and usually atleast one button missing. Even if the color is still good they will still be toast in the same timeframe.

Back