• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Discounts List

Radop said:
who routinely go to the movies and get the discounts there.  

The movies in Kingston give military discounts? Dammit, all that wasted money last summer. Do you know how much the discount is?
Thanks

meni0n said:
Actually they stopped that discount this summer.

I left Pet this summer and was posted back to Kingston and my movie reference was more intended for those in Kingston.  There are still several companies in the area that give discounts though in the petawawa area

If your in Pet, go up to the rec plex and they have a list of local merchants offering a discount.

In Vancouver you can get either 20 or 25% off the monthly pass rate for Parks & Rec.  I swim 3-5 times a week at the Vancouver Aquatic Centre and I pay $28 and change a month, and its a nice facility for doing lanes.

Also, most lumber stores will give you a small discount (10% or so) if you ask if there is a military discount.

If you know that in other areas of Canada you would get the discount, it doesn't hurt to ask, all they can say is no!!

Sometimes if you get a good salesclerk, they will just ring you in under the "Seniors" discount.

Saves the tax anyways.

I wonder about the YMCA. I heard from a friend in Ottawa the YMCA lets them in with their military ID for free. I wonder if thats for all YMCA's, that would be great. Save a lot of money on a membership thats for sure.

-KaT

Anyone know of a list of businesses which give military discounts in Toronto? Tried Googling but no luck.

Don't know if anyone else has poted this but I know for sure avis rent a car gives a discount, so i'm guessing most other car rental companies would too. I should warn some people that the military rate at hotels/motels/car rental agencies isnt always the best rate. Always ask for the best rate first and then tell them you would like to check the military rate. I worked in the hospitality industry for almost three years and i have seen the military rate be almost double sometimes, if they are already having a sale.

The gym at NDHQ lists everywhere in Ottawa that you can get anything health related at discounts/free.  The Y's in Orleans and Nepean have free membership for DND military employees, sorry to the civilians.  Avis is one of the few companies that would rent me a car a while back, and said they could only rent to people 19 and up if they were in the military, otherwise it was 25 and over.  Your military ID is still good in the States as well, it gets you in the PX, and onto bases now with the heightened security.  You can also play free squash and work out at the Westin hotel in Ottawa, and swim free at the Champagne pool.  Once, the government rate was actually higher than the posted rate at a hotel, this is done sometimes because the customer will simply call and demand the gov rate, not even asking what the discount/mark up is.

Bomber said:
Avis is one of the few companies that would rent me a car a while back, and said they could only rent to people 19 and up if they were in the military, otherwise it was 25 and over.  

Really? Wow...anyone know if that's still true today?

If i remember correctly in Canada you can rent a car from avis with military Id and a major credit card if you are over 18. Otherwise its over 25. I'm a little rusty on the age limits with military Id but I am almost 100 percent sure with military id it lowers the age. You also have to use the military rate , so it may be a little bit higher than other rates.

Avis is GREAT for renting a car. i knew about 3 or 4 guys up at cannought who i worked with who rented from them. got a great deal on the cars and the military discount helped out alot...

things to know for next time! (last time i rented was with budget... and man did i get gouged...)

Avis is a great company. They are one of the only ones that allow one way rentals. They are also awesome for road side assistance and if you want to drive the car across canada they dont care. They also give unlimited milage in 99 percent of the cases. I used to work for them and they are a great company to rent from. Even if they are a little bit more than the competition the standard of car you will get is superior to the others. THey replace a car after 10,000 km's . Anyhow, enough about talkin avis up hehe, i recomend them all the time though and I wont rent from anyone else.  >:D

In all the times i've rented a card, i have gotten a military discount as well as usually there is unlimited miles for military pers.

I wonder about the YMCA. I heard from a friend in Ottawa the YMCA lets them in with their military ID for free. I wonder if thats for all YMCA's, that would be great. Save a lot of money on a membership thats for sure.

-KaT

It is not true for all YMCA's, many feel that should pay to use their facilities.

Sharp WO

Back