• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Discounts List

For those interested in a new car, I see that Wallis Nissan is offering a military discount of $500.  I know that GM also offers this and (I think) Chrysler.  I also understand that Wallis's are looking at flat-rate shipping to anywhere in Canada.  I recall that Petawawa dealers used to gouge the troops pretty good in the 90s.  Not sure if that is still the case.  Nice to see businesses starting to support our troops.  Not sure if they have a website but you can get to them through Nissan.ca or 519 336 4060.

Lasic MD took $200 off a $3000 total both eyes for me last month.  Not a lot, but all I did was mention I was in the CF as part of conversation...and they took off the money.  I was happy.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 200 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Marine Atlantic brings back its gimmick fare again for the CF but with a notable change as highlighted.....

Marine Atlantic to again honour Canadian Forces with discounted travel

February 20, 2010
Sydney, Nova Scotia - Wayne Follett, President and CEO of Marine Atlantic, with Canada’s Transport Minister, John Baird, today announced that Marine Atlantic will once again honour Canada’s Canadian Forces personnel, veterans and up to three companions with a special appreciation fare from May 1 to October 31, 2010. Marine Atlantic launched this initiative for the first time last year, which was a huge success.

“The Government of Canada is proud of the work of our Canadian Forces and the contributions made by our veterans,” said Baird. “We are pleased that Marine Atlantic Inc. is once again honouring members of the Canadian Forces and their families by providing discounted travel opportunities to and from Newfoundland and Labrador.”

“This special fare between Nova Scotia and Newfoundland is a great way to say “thank you” to current and retired members of the Canadian Forces,” said the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence.
"Marine Atlantic’s offer is one more way we can repay the great debt that all Canadians owe to the brave men and women who have always been willing to defend our nation," said the Honourable Jean-Pierre Blackburn, Minister of Veterans Affairs.

The Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2010 will provide Canadian Forces members and veterans with free passenger fare on the Port aux Basques/North Sydney ferry route. Additionally, members will receive a 50% discount on their passenger fare when travelling on the Argentia/North Sydney ferry service. Up to three companions travelling in the same vehicle and on the same reservation will also receive the discount.

“We received a very positive response from our Canadian Forces and veterans who benefitted from the appreciation fare last year. By announcing the fare much earlier this year we hope to provide those interested with additional time to make their travel plans,” said Mr. Follett. “The 2010 appreciation fare provides for availability on every crossing during the six month travel period which is an improvement over last year’s promotion where some crossings were not available for any bookings under the appreciation fare. However, it is still important that individuals book early to get the discount on their preferred crossing.”

This promotion will provide individuals with a wide range of opportunities to travel to and from the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Due to space limitations on the vessels, especially during July and August, there are restrictions on the number of spaces available for the Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2010. To reserve under this Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2010 beginning on Monday, March 1, 2010, please call 1-800-341-7981. The fare is not available through online booking. The Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2010 is available on new and existing reservations. Members of the military and veterans may book anytime during the promotional period, by presenting required identification. Normal fares will apply to the vehicle itself for Argentia/North Sydney as well as Port aux Basques/North Sydney ferry services.

Media Contact:
Tara Laing
Communications
Telephone: 709.772.8974
Email: tlaing@marine-atlantic.ca

Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2010

Marine Atlantic provides an essential transportation service between Newfoundland and Labrador and the mainland portion of Canada.

The Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2010 will be available to qualified individuals from May 1 to October 31, 2010. It is available on both of Marine Atlantic’s Port aux Basques/North Sydney and Argentia/North Sydney ferry services and will be applied to new reservations and existing reservations for individuals who qualify. Members of the Canadian Forces may book this travel as often as they wish during the promotional period. As there is limited space available under this program, people are encouraged to book early.

Eligibility
For the purpose of this promotion Canadian Forces personnel are defined as active or retired members of the army, navy, air force or reserves.

An eligible individual must possess one of the following pieces of identification, at the time of booking a reservation and must also present it at the time of travel:

◦ID Cards for the Department of National Defence (Cards: NDI 20, NDI 30, NDI 50, DND 2262);
◦Record of Service Card (NDI 75 or CF-75) or certificate of discharge (together with photo identification) for retired military; or
◦Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) Benefit Card for veterans.

The Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2010 is designed to thank current and past members of our armed forces by providing them with a discount when travelling for personal reasons. Therefore, to qualify individuals must be travelling either in a personal vehicle (PRV) or as a walk-on customer. This discount is not provided in conjunction with other special fares such as group rates.

Travel period and space limitation
The Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2010 will be in effect for travel that occurs from May 1 until October 31, 2010. Blackout crossings have been removed this year and every crossing during this period provides space for the Military Appreciation Fare 2010. However, due to limited space on vessels, especially during the peak summer season, there is a maximum number of vehicle spaces allocated for each crossing. Therefore it is important that individuals book early to get the discount on their preferred crossing.

Details of the special fares
Port aux Basques/North Sydney ferry service
Members of the Canadian Forces, plus up to three additional persons travelling in the same vehicle on the same reservation are entitled to complimentary passenger travel on the Port aux Basques/North Sydney ferry service. Please note vehicle fares are not included in this promotion.

Members of the Canadian Forces travelling without a vehicle are entitled to complimentary travel on the Port aux Basques/North Sydney ferry service provided they book in advance.

Argentia/North Sydney ferry service
Members of the Canadian Forces, plus up to three additional persons travelling in the same vehicle on the same reservation are entitled to travel at a discount of 50% off passenger fare on the Argentia/North Sydney ferry service. Please note vehicle fares are not included in this promotion.

Members of the Canadian Forces travelling without a vehicle entitled to travel at a discount of 50% off passenger fare on the Argentia/North Sydney ferry service provided they book in advance.

Booking a reservation
Marine Atlantic requires a reservation to travel on all of its vessels. To book this special promotion beginning on Monday, March 1, 2010, current or former members of the Canadian Forces should:

◦Telephone Marine Atlantic’s reservations line at: 1-800-341-7981. (This special fare is not available through our online reservations system.); and
◦Request the Canadians Forces Appreciation Fare 2010 at the time of booking.
The primary individual on the reservation must be a qualified member of the Canadian Forces (not necessarily the driver of the vehicle). At the time of making the reservation, the Canadian Forces member must provide the identification number located on one of the accepted forms of identification.

Please note: Customers reserving under this fare will be subject to all of Marine Atlantic’s travel and change policies.

At time of travel
As proof of entitlement, upon check-in, the primary individual on the reservation will be required to present the same form of identification as utilized when reserving the ticket.

Please Note: If proper identification is not presented at check-in, then the reservation will be modified and customer(s) will be required to pay regular fare.

Hubby is going for laser eye surgery next month and got 10% taken off for being military at TLC Vision Center in Moncton.

If you're looking for appliance parts, BBQ parts, and other goodies, Reliable Parts gives a 15% discount to CF members if you ask for it.  They have stores across Canada. 

I love shopping in that place as much as I enjoy strolling through Lowe's Home Improvement.  :)

Just found out the Mc Dicks at Anderton and Guthrie in Comox gives 25% off with ID.  I was so stunned I forgot to ask if it was nation-wide or store specific.

Not sure if this is the right place for this one.
I would like to thank the local Royal Canadian Legion for giving most pers on the Wing a $10.00 Tim's Card.
It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to know that we are quietly appreciated.
Thanks Legionaires.    :salute:

:cdn:

Lordco Auto Parts (at least around Victoria, BC) offers 30% off for DND employees with ID.

ABC Country Restaurants in the same area offers 25% off for the same.

Napa Auto Parts Kingston gave me a Military discount upon request.

- Nites

I'm not sure if Sleep Country has been mentioned yet, but in Edmonton at Namao Centre, they gave me a 10% discount, and threw in the floor frame for free.

We were also told on tour, that, BMW gives a discount 10-15%.  Harley-Davidson unfortunately doesn't, but there is one in Winnipeg that will, but you have to travel there to pick up the bike.

Did you even attempt a search or a read of this thread before posting?

I typed "car rental discounts" into the search engine and got results. Did you?

bekkamgov said:
does anyone know if any car rental places give discounts.

If you check the 2010 Accommodation and Car Rental Directory on the PWGSC website, you will find the rates charged by rental companies for car rental for "Official Government Business Travel".

You will find that most times, most rental places will honour those rates for non-official travel.  Most will not ask for a leave pass - it is best to ask if they will require any documentation prior to booking the vehicle.  I rented a subcompact Nissan Versa for three days for under $110 over the May 24 weekend, as the wife took our car to the US to visit family.  (That's with a waiver on collision damage coverage, as we have a rider on our vehicle policy which covers rental vehicles up to 5000 lbs.  A wise investment if you rent vehicles more than once per year, generally)

Back