• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military concerned by Canada's absence from American-British-Australian security pact

Agreed ... some Liberals are already saying that Freeland is both a less than stellar campaigner (she grates on too many people) and may be "yesterday's woman." Carney seems to be interested in other things - almost anything other than leading the Liberal Party.

If Trudeau stays on - which seems increasingly likely - then:
  1. IF he wins a majority, he's gold, he'll be PM for five terms;
  2. IF he loses, becomes leader of the opposition, he's toast; or
  3. IF he wins another weak majority the knives will be out.
In case 1 on all speculation is moot.

In either of cases 2 or 3 then next Liberal leader will be an Anglo. Expectations say the next Liberal leader should be a woman. Demographics suggest that a "woman of colour" would be a good idea.

There aren't a whole lot of high profile choice:

Ng is damaged goods; Ien is photogenic but almost, otherwise, unknown; which leaves Anand.
From the liberals I listen to Joly seems to be on more and more lips. I cannot fathom why.

Canada is excluded from AUKUS, due to our lack of position on China...
Yet we still participate in the 5 Eyes, for intelligence.

Anyone else see this as literally being the oldest kid at the kids table? You can hear some of the conversations going on, and you know what they're talking about, but you're really not able to participate, nor be taken seriously.....

From the liberals I listen to Joly seems to be on more and more lips. I cannot fathom why.
I don’t understand that either. By all accounts she has been a terrible minister and I haven’t seen anything myself to convince me otherwise.

I think this may be it. They’re seeing an institution to which they’ve dedicated their lives crumble around them. At some point in time even the most cynical careerists have you sound the alarm.
And yet, the same people are also driving the shit out of the broken remnants and ignoring the death spiral, safety issues and retention problems, so if they spent less time worrying about 'what if' and more time looking at what is the current state they would at least be consistent. They continue to leave the Navy worse than they left it, and are absolutely ignorant of the LOE we would need to get nuclear boats.

The GoC weren't the ones driving the Navy to keep up the same ops tempo during COVID and no one would have noticed if they parked some ships and didn't do some coastal exercises, and some of the ships shouldn't have left the wall without major repairs.

Agreed ... some Liberals are already saying that Freeland is both a less than stellar campaigner (she grates on too many people) and may be "yesterday's woman." Carney seems to be interested in other things - almost anything other than leading the Liberal Party.

If Trudeau stays on - which seems increasingly likely - then:
  1. IF he wins a majority, he's gold, he'll be PM for five terms;
  2. IF he loses, becomes leader of the opposition, he's toast; or
  3. IF he wins another weak majority the knives will be out.
In case 1 on all speculation is moot.

In either of cases 2 or 3 then next Liberal leader will be an Anglo. Expectations say the next Liberal leader should be a woman. Demographics suggest that a "woman of colour" would be a good idea.

There aren't a whole lot of high profile choice:

Ng is damaged goods; Ien is photogenic but almost, otherwise, unknown; which leaves Anand.
Outside of John Turner's very limited time as Lib Leader, in what decade did the Lib's last have a leader not based in Quebec?

I don’t understand that either. By all accounts she has been a terrible minister and I haven’t seen anything myself to convince me otherwise.
She would be a disaster - akin to Kim Campbell.
The Lib talent pool is shallow and its always been tilted heavily towards to Quebec. For someone reason they love to continue to fish is in this ever shrinking pool of water. Lot's of deeper water and new, fresh pools opening up throughout the rest of the country but they are blind to this.
The only people who want Joly are the puppet masters who work the strings of the current PM.

And yet, the same people are also driving the shit out of the broken remnants and ignoring the death spiral, safety issues and retention problems, so if they spent less time worrying about 'what if' and more time looking at what is the current state they would at least be consistent. They continue to leave the Navy worse than they left it, and are absolutely ignorant of the LOE we would need to get nuclear boats.

The GoC weren't the ones driving the Navy to keep up the same ops tempo during COVID and no one would have noticed if they parked some ships and didn't do some coastal exercises, and some of the ships shouldn't have left the wall without major repairs.

Correct me if I am wrong, the GoC essentially drives our ops tempo through partnerships and commitments to our allies and treaty obligations.

Isn't it the GoC says Canada will keep 1 CPF on station in the Pac and 1 with SNMG(?); as well as preform the myriad of FG and domestic tasks to meet the international obligations ?

I am quite sure the RCN just doesn't deploy willy nilly without the political necessity behind it.

We were told on FRE it the GoC that kept us deployed. They demanded we maintain our NATO commitment to the SNMG.

Michael Ignatieff is from Toronto.
Lol, forgot about his brief leadership for 3yrs. Left the country again 18 months after the election of 2011 and he's never come back to live, again very similar to Kim Campbell.

She would be a disaster - akin to Kim Campbell.
The Lib talent pool is shallow and its always been tilted heavily towards to Quebec. For someone reason they love to continue to fish is in this ever shrinking pool of water. Lot's of deeper water and new, fresh pools opening up throughout the rest of the country but they are blind to this.
The only people who want Joly are the puppet masters who work the strings of the current PM.

The pool in the HoC and Senate is shallow if ask me. This isn't just an LPC problem.

Correct me if I am wrong, the GoC essentially drives our ops tempo through partnerships and commitments to our allies and treaty obligations.

Isn't it the GoC says Canada will keep 1 CPF on station in the Pac and 1 with SNMG(?); as well as preform the myriad of FG and domestic tasks to meet the international obligations ?

I am quite sure the RCN just doesn't deploy willy nilly without the political necessity behind it.

We were told on FRE it the GoC that kept us deployed. They demanded we maintain our NATO commitment to the SNMG.
GoC has big picture requirements (ie 1 deployed ships per coast); the RCN is the one that commits to little exercises, self directed sailing etc. If a CPF doesn't go on something like OP Trident because it doesn't have a rudder the GoC doesn't care. If there is a gap on SNMG 1 because it's Xmas the GoC doesn't care. If a ship delays trials for two weeks because it has no fitted systems in the machinery spaces the GoC doesn't care; sailing despite that is an RCN directive.

FG is definitely required to get there, but we are sailing way to short to do actual FG; training people takes a lot of extra work.

Some of the things the RCN does under 'accepting the risk' would probably make the politicians heads explode. Honestly about a week or two out from whistleblowing on a life safety issue the RCN is driving (by not following higher orders).

Liberal tradition, for a century plus, is that the leadership alternates between a Franco (actually a Québécois) and an Anglo: Laurier, King, St Laurent, Pearson, Trudeau, Turner, Chrétien, Martin, Dion, Ignatieff, Trudeau, so Joly needs to wait until after the next Anglo.

Back