• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MILCOTS conversion

Pencil Tech

Inactive
Reaction score
I was thinking of starting this as a thread called "Your Favourite Crazy Army Policies" but, anyway, I just got my 404s last month and asked for a MILCOTS conversion, which is a 4-hour course - you don't even drive the thing. I was told I had to have my 404s for a year before I could take it. So I'm qualified MLVW, LSVW and any civvie pattern DND vehicle but I have to wait a year before they'll let me drive a Chevy pickup truck with blackout lights. What's up with that?

That doesn't sound right to me at all.  We qual'd every trooper in the unit on MILCOTS the moment we got the charming things delivered last fall, including, I believe those that came off QL3 last summer (they would not have held 404s for a year+)

Whoever told you that must be full of it, I got my MILCOTS course the same year I got my 404s. (At the time, I just had LSVW on them).

Well that sounds more like it. The only problem is it was the TP NCO from the Svc Bn at our armoury who issued me the 404s who told me that when I asked about it. We also have an Area Standards Detachment in the building and they told me it was true too.

You don't have to have had your 404's for a year.
You do however, need a Dvrss crse with trg on a core veh ie.LSVW. This is because the MILCOTS is still classed as a conversion crse. Same thig happened back when we got the LS.
The conversion course if done correctly should take 2 days. 1 day classroom work 1 day dvr trg and road test.

Looks like you got caught up in a "Local" "Quality Control" program, and someone's interpretation of it.  

George Wallace said:
Looks like you got caught up in a "Local" "Quality Control" program, and someone's interpretation of it.  

Sounds like there's a need for a "One Army, One Standard".

According to the project itself the MILCOT is a "Militarized Commercial Veh" so a brief familirisation and road test is all that is req to be qualified. 

I've got a 404s question. I'm scheduled to go on a 'Defensive Driving Course' (DDC) on monday and tuesday. I'm told it's a pair of three hour elcutres, one each day. After that, I can go in, do a pair of tests- one of which I beleive is called the 'ontario supplement', and then take a road test to get my 404s for Civ pattern vehicles. Now, I don't have my driver wheeled coruse yet, but is there ANY way to sue the Civ Pattern 404s to get on some kind of course for MILCOTS? My unit uses MILCOTS and the blue Milverados more than anything else - plus they've got guys more senior than me for the MLs anyway - and it would be nice to get the chance to drive the MILCOTS when we're heading up to an FTX or whatnot.

Aside form the chance to get out on Ex's in the vehicles, I'm transferring to a new unit next fall, adn am trying to load up on as many qualifications as possible before I go so they don't think 'Aw great, another friggin' private when I show up. Being able to make msyelf useful when I get there in terms of supplementary quls would be nice. So, is there anywhere else I can go from Civ pattern?

I believe the blue crew cab (which is basically the same vehicle as the MILCOTS but without the modifications) is considered to be a civvy pattern vehicle, so you would be able to drive it with civvy pattern on your 404s. For some reason unknown to man though, the CF considers the MILCOTS to be a totally different vehicle. For example, I don't have a G licence yet, so my unit won't let me drive civvy pattern, yet I have my MILCOTS qualification. Ah, c'est la vie I guess.

To answer your question though, I believe you do need some sort of Driver Wheel course first before driving the MILCOTS.

OK, thanks.

You're sure about the G license? I mentioned that I'm getting my Civ pattern 404s, but all I have is my G1. They said that's all I need.

Thanks- you're right; I remember them saying that the blue crew cab was in fact considered civ pattern. I'd forgotten that. Thanks

It's run through CFB Kingston base transport here. The unit has better things to do than manage the administration of 404s, so they just go with the same standards base does, and accepts any licenses they issue. ;)

For some reason unknown to man though, the CF considers the MILCOTS to be a totally different vehicle

It's actually because the vehicle is painted green. Green paint, you see, completley alters the handling characteristics of the vehicle.

Hey Roko, you know what it's really about? The Milverado has a CD player in it. They're not going to let just anybody have a CD player. You have to be CD player qualified and that takes a year. ::)

Just to clarify everyone, I'm looking at my 404's now, I kept the tear off portion that shows what the letters and numbers mean.  Civvie pattern is a combination of A1 and B1 and the MILCOT is G1, and the G_wagon is G15

I hate the way the civvie radio cuts out when you turn out the lights.  Ground clearance is too low.  Carry a tow rope or a cable.  Watch for the deep track ruts when following Leopards - the Silverado will belly up.  If the centre of the trail has been worn smooth (and I do pavement smooth) by the belly of a Leopard, then the wheel ruts are too deep for the Silverado.  If you can't get comms with the army radios, let your antennas straight up. No?  Try and twist your antennas tighter, they loosen off on the move. No?  If halted, do the paramecium thing and jockey the truck to change it's angle.  It might not take much.  VHF is 50% science and 50% witchcraft.  Don't take a chance getting stuck when alone/no comms/ -40c/etc.  Carry rats, water, and a blanket/bivybag/whatever. Civie GPS.  If you are going to get stuck, try and do so on a full stomach, and when the sun is coming up, not going down.  Oh, and NEVER take a chance late on a Friday afternoon.

Tom

We were doing the Observer/Controller thing on PRAIRIE RAM 04, chasing around Leo/LAV cbt tms.  I was a one man shop in the cab, and was 360 rubbernecking (so I didn't become sprocket jam under a hatches-down Leopard), listening to both nets, and watching the trail.  Something had to give, and I didn't see the bellied hump.  So I bellied up.  I was digging when the A1 Ech caught up to me, and the SSM said "What the %^$* are doing with that thing on a trail an APC shouldn't be on?"  I was somewhat non-plussed, as 49C - his veh - was an APC, and IT was on the trail.  Anyway, an MRT dragged me up the hill, whereupon I re-commenced surfing the WATC in a Silverado.  Safety Point: under such conditions, given the lack of vis from the Silverado, a two man crew is preferable.  I belied up again on a snow covered hump during SAT (Systems Acceptance Trial) 2.  Got pulled out by another Silverado: the Re22eR Cpl driver had acquired a heavy duty tow rope.

When I visit Edmonton (or it visits me) I get the "Got yer purty lil toy truck stuck lately?" routine.

Ha. ... Ha. ... 

Hey George, lets start a new link "Professional Jealousy: The Eleventh Principal of Leadership!"
You heard it here first!

Tom

Reference the need for additional training on the milcot vs a civvie pattern pickup truck, there is a justifiable need for it, but the reality of it is that in a pinch, the training can probably be done in 10-20 minutes tops. Light controls, winch controls, dual electrical systems, cargo stowage, tow hitches, that's about it. The spare tire is a bit weird to let down too as opposed to a normal already weird pickup spare, but that's about it.

Back