• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Michael Coren: "Caring for Karine"

Given that women have only been allowed to be employed in combat roles in the last 15 or so years, and functionally have been actually employed in them in the last 10 years, the idea of women being cbt arms can still be considered a relatively new ideal for most ordinary Canadians, most whom have little or no real knowledge of our profession.

Also, considering that the majority of the Canadian population is over 35*, for the female half, the concept of joining the CF after right out of high school and participating in combat would be totally foreign, regardless of their moral compass, and how progressive their ideals of feminist equality would have been.

Mr Coren views are not "old fashioned", assuming his demographic, and those of whom he interacts with.

People should not assume that the writer of this is not respected nor intelligent because his views are not the same as yours. His views are not so different than my parents, or the retired nieghbours who live next door.

Just because we were forced to be more enlighted than most Canadians because of Charter rulings of the SCC years ago, does not give us the moral right to insult others whom have yet to experience the practical application of universal equality for all.

* http://www.ccsd.ca/factsheets/demographics/

Edited to fix link

I am not debating whether or not Mr. Coren is respected or intelligent.  He more than likely is.  However, IMHO, his commentary could have been better written to portray his beliefs.  As it is, I personally find it insulting and disrespectful.

Do you seriously feel that we have been "forced" to be more enlightened than most Canadians?

As has been pointed out, Mr Coren comes from a generation that is horrified at the idea of wonem being in the Combat Arms (or the military in general). This is a very old and deep belief that women and children are to be protected and cared for, and that it is the job of the men to do the protecting and caring.

In fact, this belief is hardwired into us over the course of 3 to 5 million years of evolution, so a bit of Trudeaupian social engineering isn't going to erase that. Now I know that not all men are protective of women, and I would be reluctant to cross Vern in a dark alley, but we must keep in mind that these are actually exceptions rather than "the rule" among the population at large, and work a little harder at enlightening people to the nature and reality of our job.

PMedMoe said:
Do you seriously feel that we have been "forced" to be more enlightened than most Canadians?

You and I were forced to put up with each other for how many years?  ;D

Seriously, though. Yes, it is my opinion that* DND (the CF) was forced by the rulings of the SCC and subsequent decisions by our elected officials to change the policies which restricted employment of women in certian areas of the CF. My read of history past, and personal experience at the time (I joined as this was happening), gives me the impression that this was the case.

*for recceguy  ;)

SFB said:
You and I were forced to put up with each other for how many years?  ;D

Yeah, well, we survived, right?  ;)

SFB said:
Seriously, though. Yes, it is my opinion that* DND (the CF) was forced by the rulings of the SCC and subsequent decisions by our elected officials to change the policies which restricted employment of women in certian areas of the CF. My read of history past, and personal experience at the time (I joined as this was happening), gives me the opinion that this was the case.

So you personally think those restrictions should still apply to women?  I can understand how some people feel about women in combat roles, however, I think that women should be able to have the choice, provided they can pass all the tests, both mental and physical.  When I joined, the restrictions were still in place but I wasn't bothered as the combat arms trades didn't interest me in the least.  However, things have changed.  Case in point:  Did you know when the PMed Tech trade first started, women were not allowed to apply?

PMedMoe said:
So you personally think those restrictions should still apply to women? 

No. And nowhere on this website did I say anything to that effect.

Hey Moe, were you and SFB ever married?  My ex had this amazing talent for hearing things I never said too, and I'm just wondering if it's a common thing?  ;D

On a whole, I find this piece by Michael Coren rather naive.  He has chosen to write on Karine's death but has overlooked a vastly different aspect altogether.  He criticises our society for allowing women the freedoms to become Combat Soldiers and try to better the world as is the case with Karine.  He, however, fails to comment on the women of the world, the Karla Homolkas and others, who have over the centuries been equal to men in their cruelty to their fellow humans.  Michael Coren has written an idyllic piece, where the "fairer sex" is supposedly totally "innocent" and "nurturing"; and we all know that is a fantasy.

SFB said:
No. And nowhere on this website did I say anything to that effect.

My apologies, then.  I misread what you stated about the CF being forced to change policies and your personal experience bit.

Kat Stevens said:
Hey Moe, were you and SFB ever married?

No, just posted to the same unit for a long period of time.

George Wallace said:
On a whole, I find this piece by Michael Coren rather naive.  He has chosen to write on Karine's death but has overlooked a vastly different aspect altogether.  He criticises our society for allowing women the freedoms to become Combat Soldiers and try to better the world as is the case with Karine.  He, however, fails to comment on the women of the world, the Karla Homolkas and others, who have over the centuries been equal to men in their cruelty to their fellow humans.  Michael Coren has written an idyllic piece, where the "fairer sex" is supposedly totally "innocent" and "nurturing"; and we all know that is a fantasy.

I agree, George.  I also find that gender aside, most of his comments were based on her looks and age.

"Prolific broadcaster and writer Michael Coren holds court on this flagship program. The show deals with breaking headlines and current issues and since debate is Michael's strong suit, spirited and intelligent conversation is the norm. Whether it's the weekly Monday, Wednesday and Friday media panels where Michael and his regular guests digest the week's news cycle or usual mix of federal politics, international affairs, arts and culture, faith matters and one-on-one interviews on Tuesdays and Thursdays, viewers can be assured an hour of thought-provoking television.

Born in London, England, Michael came to Canada in 1987. For several years he was a weekly columnist for the Globe and Mail and broadcaster on TV Ontario. In 1995, he became a syndicated columnist for the Financial Post and the Sun Newspaper Group, a print run that has grown to include the Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg Sun and the London Free Press, as well as his own evening phone-in show on CFRB Newstalk Radio. Currently, Michael co-hosts the highly-rated 'Two Bald Guys With Strong Opinions' every weekday with former Liberal Party president Stephen LeDrew. Aside from his platform on television and radio, Michael also appears in the National Post, Catholic Insight, the Interim and Women's Post. Michael is the author of eleven books including biographies of G.K. Chesterton, H.G. Wells, C.S. Lewis and frequently crosses the country as a highly popular and entertaining public speaker."

http://www.ctstv.com/ontario/show.php?key=11

As soon as I encounter any of the following, Michael Coren, the Sun newpaper or the Christian Television System I immediately move on.
Guess Micheal is SOL in trying to reach me with any of his opinions.
If this sounds like Micheal Coren bashing you're right. :mad:

George Wallace said:

Excellent point, I spoke about this article with one of my friends who was really close to Karine. He comes from the same small village, we both went to school with her, he has the same age and he joined at the same time as her and knew her from his early childhood. What sickens him, and myself, the most about this article is the distinction the author made about her looks. If she wasn't good looking, would the idea of this article even came to his mind? Karine wasn't weak mentally and was perfectly able for combat, she did the same training as any men of her regiment and she decided to join in a combat arm because she loved this job and would have hated to do a desk job. Of course her death is tragic, but so are the deaths of every other member who died in this mission. How is her death any more tragic than one of a 40 year old man who leaves his children to grow without a father and leaves his wife to take care of the childrens alone? To me we are all equal as humans in life and death and while I am deeply saddened by her death, I think it is a great thing that in our society she had the opportunity to do what she really wanted in her life before dying. The last thing she would have wanted is her death to reopen this sexist debate.

The Dunnminator said:
Excellent point, I spoke about this article with one of my friends who was really close to Karine. He comes from the same small village, we both went to school with her, he has the same age and he joined at the same time as her and knew her from his early childhood. What sickens him, and myself, the most about this article is the distinction the author made about her looks. If she wasn't good looking, would the idea of this article even came to his mind? Karine wasn't weak mentally and was perfectly able for combat, she did the same training as any men of her regiment and she decided to join in a combat arm because she loved this job and would have hated to do a desk job. Of course her death is tragic, but so are the deaths of every other member who died in this mission. How is her death any more tragic than one of a 40 year old man who leaves his children to grow without a father and leaves his wife to take care of the childrens alone? To me we are all equal as humans in life and death and while I am deeply saddened by her death, I think it is a great thing that in our society she had the opportunity to do what she really wanted in her life before dying. The last thing she would have wanted is her death to reopen this sexist debate.

Yes, I was trying to make this point but you have done a better job. Let her death be dignified and honourable and let her rest in peace rightfully and equally alongside her brothers- and sisters-at-arms without further politicization of her death.

To raise her up above her peers is to diminish male efforts and by extension--overall team efforts, too.

You knew of her and confirmed what I would have suspected: Trooper Blais would not have wanted her death to be treated any differently than the other Fallen. :yellow:

Very interesting discussion.

I would submit that there are actually three elements in competition here.

The first being that, in my opinion Mr. Coren mixed his apparent dislike for the Afghan mission with the examination of women in combat. This shows in the comment, "..increasingly futile and pointless war in Afghanistan..." which really has nothing to do with the rest of his column.

Second is the uncomfortable feelings that we have when recognize that we do treat the death of a female soldier differently than the death of a male soldier. The initial column and this discussion, as are the countless discussions about this topic that take place are indicators that we do actually view the death of a female soldier differently.
My opinion is that this bothers us so much because it goes against what we intellectually believe to be ethically correct. We ethically believe that women should have the same opportunities as men, even opportunities that may result in negative effects but that conflicts with the message our society gives us that women should be treated differently, with more respect and more reverence.
How would the captain of sinking ship be viewed if he stated men first instead of women and children first?

Lastly, and I think most unsavoury to our ethical selves is that there are in fact very real differences between men and women that, at least according to the 1992 Presidential Commission on the Assignment of Women in the Armed Forces may have a detrimental effect on their combat capability as compared to men.

From the same report:

"Lt Col. William Gregor, United States Army, testified before the Commission regarding a survey he conducted at an Army ROTC Advanced Summer Camp on 623 women and 3540 men."

Evidence Gregor presented to the Commission includes:

"(a) Using the standard Army Physical Fitness Test, he found that the upper quintile of women at West point achieved scores on the test equivalent to the bottom quintile of men.

"(c) Only 21 women out of the initial 623 (3.4%) achieved a score equal to the male mean score of 260.

"(d) On the push-up test, only seven percent of women can meet a score of 60, while 78 percent of men exceed it.

"(e) Adopting a male standard of fitness at West Point would mean 70 percent of the women he studied would be separated as failures at the end of their junior year, only three percent would be eligible for the Recondo badge, and not one would receive the Army Physical Fitness badge…."

"The average female Army recruit is 4.8 inches shorter, 31.7 pounds lighter, has 37.4 fewer pounds of muscle, and 5.7 more pounds of fat than the average male recruit. She has only 55 percent of the upper-body strength and 72 percent of the lower-body strength."

I tried to find a link to the report on line but couldn't, "Women in the Military" by Brian Mitchell is a good collected source. I must also admit to being to lazy to retype portions of the report from a hard copy and have instead copy and pasted from the internet.

These very real differences between men and women, at a physical capability level make us uncomfortable because, again my opinion, it shows us that nature doesn't care about our ethical or moral beliefs that everyone should be equal, in truth we are not.
But its our fight against nature, our refusal to accept the limitation of biology that makes us more than just animals. We as a society have determined that even if someone is not physiologically equal they will be treated as if they are. The question should be, how far does the right of equality extend to where it may potentially endanger someone else? Any military is not a group of individuals, it is a team, and as such its capability is a sum of its collected parts. If it is demonstrated, quantitatively, that some portion of the team for whatever reason reduces the overall capability where does that persons right to equality of treatment balance out with the needs of the team to be capable?
As a short, uncoordinated person I lack the capabilities to be a world class basket ball player. Do I, in an effort of asserting my equality even when it can be demonstrated I am not equal have the right to demand the same treatment as a word class basketball player? To play on their teams, to compete in the biggest games, to contribute to the success and failure of that team? Or is their a point where the needs of the team, or in the case of a military a nation, superceded my desire, perhaps even my right to be treated equally?

I hope that no one sees anything that I have written as an attack on women in the combat arms. My own viewpoint is that we are looking at a symptom and not a disease. The disease, again in my opinion, is different standards for acceptance. As LTC Gregor said, "Adopting a male standard of fitness...". Why two standards? This inherently creates doubt about capability. Why not just the military standard and everyone must meet it, no matter their gender? This would completely eliminate any discussion about capability. Sure, as per LTC Gregor's study 70% percent of the women would have failed the first year but the capabilities of those that succeeded could not be held in question because they had met the same standard. My belief is that in our efforts to provide equality to everyone over the past decades we may have actually undermined the achievements of those that are truly capable and created an artificial system that supplants finding your real limitations with a society that will instead reduce its standards in order to provide a false sense of equality. I personally see this in many more places than just the military.

Aside from the quotations from the report these are my opinions and I apologize if I have presented them in a manner some may find offensive. My condolences to Karines family .

George Wallace said:
He, however, fails to comment on the women of the world, the Karla Homolkas and others, who have over the centuries been equal to men in their cruelty to their fellow humans.

I think the gender gap in violent crime is unequal:
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/gender.htm

mariomike said:
I think the gender gap in violent crime is unequal:
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/gender.htm

I really don't think there is a gender gap.  This is not a numbers game.  Women are just as equal as men to commit violent crimes.  Percentages or numbers of women committing these crimes may differ, but that is of little consequence to the victims or survivors of violence.

Given her trade and what she would have to subjected herself to in order to get on the very ground where she was killed, I have difficulty believing there was ever an equality issue remaining in her mind. I just wish that, if she had to go down in that miserable place, she could have taken a few of the enemy with her, like she was trained to do, and I suspect, probably would have done had she been given a fighting chance.  The people with the equality problem are the enemy- a thousand of them are not equal to or worth the life of such a fine Canadian soldier.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Coren

His conservative views come from his religion. His religious beliefs is the problem here IMO. Look at his views on AIDs and abortions. Still in the 19th century

Aegis said:
Very interesting discussion.

I would submit that there are actually three elements in competition here.

If you are going to include one report, you should search and find others - you will find that the 'physical fitness test' measures only very few aspects of fitness and those are focused on strength and endurance.  They do not measure agility, flexibility, reaction speeds, etc. or hand-to-eye coordination, areas where women tend to excel better than men...

Back