• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Metro Toronto population above 6M, Montreal at 4M - National Post

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
According to data the agency released Wednesday, there were 6,055,724 people in the Greater Toronto Area on July 1, 2014. The population of Metropolitan Montreal stood at 4,027,121.

Together, the two central Canadian metropolises host 29% of all Canadians, with Toronto alone accounting for 17% of Canada’s 35 million people.

T.O. can now definitely boast more people than all of British Columbia, more than twice as many people as all the Atlantic provinces combined, and nearly as many residents as the entire population of the Canadian prairies.

The implication of all this, which has been brought up before, is that more and more recruits will come from big cities.  Presumably, staying close to cities will be their desire.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/11/metro-toronto-population-blasts-above-six-million-according-to-stats-can-montreal-at-four-million/

Makes sense. It's like universities. They won't pop open in the middle of nowhere.

Gee, the GTA is big enough to support a real professional hockey team.

Well, they have two semi-pro ones: The Leafs and the Sabres :)

The real question with these population stats is why does P.E.I. still rate as a Province instead of as a small town?

Oldgateboatdriver said:
The real question with these population stats is why does P.E.I. still rate as a Province instead of as a small town?

Or a Provincial Park/National Park? Perhaps even a Theme Park?    >:D

cryco said:
Makes sense. It's like universities. They won't pop open in the middle of nowhere.

<<Cough>> Bishop's

<<Cough>> UQAC

<<Cough>> Nippissing

All three universities seem about as rural/small town as our bases in Petawawa and Cold Lake.

"<snip> with Toronto alone accounting for 17% of Canada’s 35 million people."

I remember at work they used to tell us that, "One-third of Canada's population is located within a 160 km radius of Toronto."

Ostrozac said:
<<Cough>> Bishop's

<<Cough>> UQAC

<<Cough>> Nippissing

All three universities seem about as rural/small town as our bases in Petawawa and Cold Lake.

I should have specified Universities with a respectable ranking. None of those are in the Maclean's top 1000 :)
We would like the CAF to strive for excellence, wouldn't we?

The real question is; how do we hobble their votes so that Toronto and Montreal don`t decide who are governments are?

cryco said:
I should have specified Universities with a respectable ranking. None of those are in the Maclean's top 1000 :)
We would like the CAF to strive for excellence, wouldn't we?
But not all universities in the top 1000 from the Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) (not Macleans) are from huge cities, either ....
- University of Sherbrooke
- Memorial University of Newfoundland
- University of Regina
- University of New Brunswick

And that's part of the issue with the distribution of population & votes:  them that have lots think theirs is the ONLY way to do things, and they tend to be "listened to" more by the politicians than areas with fewer votes. 

And remember, almost 7 out of 10 Canadians live in a city, which affects how voters can perceive the need for, say, easier access to firearms - not saying it's right, just saying it's there.

Brandon U. is highly regarded in music and education - in a city of approx. 45 000 last time I checked. 

milnews.ca said:
But not all universities in the top 1000 from the Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) (not Macleans) are from huge cities, either ....
- University of Sherbrooke
- Memorial University of Newfoundland
- University of Regina
- University of New Brunswick

And that's part of the issue with the distribution of population & votes:  them that have lots think theirs is the ONLY way to do things, and they tend to be "listened to" more by the politicians than areas with fewer votes. 

And remember, almost 7 out of 10 Canadians live in a city, which affects how voters can perceive the need for, say, easier access to firearms - not saying it's right, just saying it's there.

Ok, so there are some decent universities outside of giant metropolis; nonetheless, if such a huge part of your population is in those large cities, then yes, they will be heard more, should and probably will contribute more to the workforce of any non-rural type of employment.
I also can't blame politicians for lending their ear to voters in large cities. I am not familiar enough with the distribution of votes:MPs. Are there less MPs per capita in the cities?

Shrek1985 said:
The real question is; how do we hobble their votes so that Toronto and Montreal don`t decide who are governments are?

Get them to split the left of centre vote over the Greens, NDP, Marxist-Leninist and Liberals

Colin P said:
Get them to split the left of centre vote over the Greens, NDP, Marxist-Leninist and Liberals

it's not working well enough.

The sheep will still want to live there, even if we make their votes count less and that's what we should do; reduce by a fraction as the size of your city gets bigger.

metro-toronto-population-blasts-above-six-million-according-to-stats-can-montreal-at-four-million/

I can believe this, because 5.87 million of them were crammed into the  Bloor/Young  subway station at around 8 this morning while I was trying to get to work.  :'(

Back