• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

methadone

Status
Not open for further replies.

throwawayuser

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day, I know this is a sore subject and that is why I have posted this thread.  I googled it thoroughly and found only people who are on ADD drugs or methadone who want to join and desire to have these drugs somehow supplied to them in the battlefield.  I have been off of methadone for 6 months, I used it because I used oxycodone and became physically addicted and I had no choice - I either lose my job or take methadone prescribed by a doctor legally.  I did not realize the problems this would create in my life, I am a moron and realize how stupid I am and it haunts me to this day.  My question is, if I have been off of methadone and had these stupid problems in my life will that disqualify me from military service forever? I plan on being completely honest during the interview no matter what anyone tells me here or anywhere else.  I know that you can get in trouble for this, I just want to know what to expect.  If I am going to be turned away for being honest I just want to know what to expect since I am so far into the process already.  I do not want to trick anyone, I do not want to lie, I just want to know if I am being disqualified automatically so I can start to make other plans.  I cannot tell you how much I would like to serve in the Canadian forces, or how much I regret my past.  Unfortunately most of the time when people make stupid mistakes they are not thinking of the future.  I can however, apologize for this annoying post to others who probably think I am a lowlife.  I hold a job for a major Canadian company, I have for 5 years all while volunteering as well.  I never wanted to hurt anyone else, I just did not realize the impact all of this would have on my life and my future.  I hope that someone can understand that people make mistakes sometimes.  I apologize if this has been posted before and I have missed it, I really like this forum and think it helps a lot of people.  EDIT: MARRY CHRISTMAS

It is not the mistakes that we make that count so much as how (if) we recognize and correct them. I do not see you as a "lowlife".

See a recruiter.

Good luck.

Recruiters have some leeway to excuse past mistakes.  How much leeway depends on what drugs you used, how long you used them, how frequently you used them and how long ago you quit.  Like Loachman said, see a recruiter; they are the only ones who can give you an answer.  The other factor that comes into play is your medical.  Addiction and substance use are medical issues; your history may raise questions with the recruiting medical officer.  Again, the only one that can make the call is the RMO, so head into the CFRC and give in a shot.

:goodpost:

You'll never know until you see a recruiter. I was addicted to some pretty heavy tranquilizers. I was told to go 6 months without them with medical documentation. It might be different for your medication, so go to a recruiter Jan 7 when they open. Good luck.

Wow.  The responses I have received so far have been way less negative than I had anticipated.  You may not consider me a low life but a large percentage of people I feel will.  Thank you everyone so far for being polite to me.  I will contact a recruiter after the holiday season.  The reason I haven't done this already and the reason I made this thread is because I am terribly embarrassed.  Most of the people who take methadone are heroin addicts, something I never ever tried.  Please understand this is a stigma attached to me for anyone who knows what methadone is. All I was hoping for was at least a chance.  Again, thank you and merry Christmas.
edit: I will contact the recruiter about this issue, however I am going to continue the path I have already started on (reserves)
To give further history I experimented with pot, but this was 7 years ago. 
edit again: I have documented paperwork proving I have not done a single unprescribed drug in over two years via pee tests but I am not sure if this will hurt or help me as this is the same place that put me on methadone and tried to keep me on it.

Sounds like you're someone who's been in the shitty, recognized faults, learned, and corrected it. If that's the case, simply overcoming this to redeem yourself is commendable. It ain't easy, I know, I've been in a similar place.

As echoed, they may see your ability to overcome adversity as "good points" - just note, positions in the CF are few and highly competitive at this point in time.

Good luck, all the best to you, and a Merry Christmas.

throwawayuser said:
The responses I have received so far have been way less negative than I had anticipated.

Well, we could always be more negative if you wish...

But, so far, you've not given us any reason to be. It appears that learning has already taken place.

And I know what methadone is.

Who and what you are now, and what you do now and in the future, are more important to me than some minor mistake in your past.

Sorry Loachman, I didn't mean it like that.  I really hope that whoever I talk to is understanding as you are.  The reason I created this inquiry is to see if I would immediately disqualified and forever barred. To be honest I do not look at it like a minor mistake, I look at it like something if I ever saw someone else doing I would take it as a personal obligation to stop them because I know how bad things can get. 

PrarieThunder, thank you also for taking the time to respond and I know spots are limited in the CF.  I have already set in motion the reserves process.  I have been told my application is very competitive.  It is just starting to keep me up at night regarding my past.  I just wanted to see how others felt and how serious of an issue this was.  Even after hearing back from everyone who was kind enough to respond to my post, I still consider it a serious issue and I am still going to face the issue head on and be 100 percent truthful it is just a bit scary and embarrassing.

Your past is between you and the recruiting system. No one else needs to know nor care. It is the person you are now that concerns us, not the person you were. Chin up, and carry on.

So if I read this right - and you are perfectly free to tell me to bugger off and mind my own business, with no prejudice against you form me or anyone else - you were prescribed oxycodone by a doc, ended up physically dependent on it, then were prescribed methodone to help wean you off of it?

Hardly some sort of evil transgression against all that is good and fuzzy in the universe. Stuff happens, sounds like you've been giving it your all to be sorted out, and have a plan that you've set your sights on as part and parcel of doing so. Best of luck to you.

No, unfortunately the oxycodone use was unprescribed and I did not know what I was getting myself into. This is where I feel I am at fault and is the part that is embarrassing to me.  At the time I didn't know that you could become physically addicted, and I didn't really see what I was doing to really be that wrong.  Unfortunately I learned the hard way the severity of what I was doing.  The methadone however, was prescribed and all done legally.

the oxycodone use was unprescribed and I did not know what I was getting myself into.

Not trying to be an ass but were you sick the day the D.A.R.E team came to your grade 8 class and talked to everyone about how drugs are bad?

I'm concerned that it's 2012 and the generation of teenagers/young adults don't realize that getting involved with prescribed Oxycodone is bad.

I'm glad to hear you managed to sort yourself out.

To be fair I honestly didn't know what the consequences were and did not really place it in the same category as "street type" drugs.  If I could go back in time I would change a lot of things, but unfortunately I can't so I am honest as possible with everyone.  If I am forgiven and allowed in at least I can turn it into something positive by showing that I am honest and deterring others who might be at risk around me.  I do completely understand your question though, and I also believe a person can change quite a lot over time (although I know it is not common) but I have, and hopefully I can prove that in some way.

Be prepared to have a harder time getting in. Be prepared to be told that others, who did not miss the "drugs = bad" speech, will get in before you. Be prepared to simply be told that it is not likely to be in the cards - ever.

The above are consequences to choices you made.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Not trying to be an ass but were you sick the day the D.A.R.E team came to your grade 8 class and talked to everyone about how drugs are bad?

I'm concerned that it's 2012 and the generation of teenagers/young adults don't realize that getting involved with prescribed Oxycodone is bad.

I'm going to guess about half the addicts we get now started with Oxy's............"I  mean how bad can they be? My Doctor gives them out."

Any *cough* Doctor who prescribes these should be thrown in jail.....................

And that's probably as much help as you're going to get on here.

It happened, you've been up front and honest, you've made a change......you might get in, you might not.

Don't let 14,000 users on here speculate whether it will or will not happen.....go get your answer.  That's the only surefire way to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back