• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mess Kits

Got mine from Andrei's in Frederiction - $900 with the vest and wool tux 7 years ago.

MM

I echo the Doeskin as well. Andrei's in Edmonton has both in the window. The berthea looks like a faded table cloth compared to the doeskin.

Doeskin is the better looking and feeling material. However, if you're a smoker, a hot ash will blow a hole in doeskin faster than you can blink and there's no way to fix it. If something happens to barethea, it can be fixed with invisible stitching (done by hand by a tailor). So if your a rough and tumble kind of person, and a smoker, the cheaper barethea may be the way to go. I've been beating mine up regularly for over ten years, and it's still 'presentable'.

recceguy said:
Doeskin is the better looking and feeling material. However, if you're a smoker, a hot ash will blow a hole in doeskin faster than you can blink and there's no way to fix it. If something happens to barethea, it can be fixed with invisible stitching (done by hand by a tailor). So if your a rough and tumble kind of person, and a smoker, the cheaper barethea may be the way to go. I've been beating mine up regularly for over ten years, and it's still 'presentable'.

Finally; another smoker who is obviously rougher and tumbler than I for my doeskin is still fine after some doozies of Mess Dinners. Lots of extras, but no holes!!  ;)

Quit smoking about 4 years ago, after we last drank together, but it's not worth switching to doeskin and retireing in October ;)

recceguy said:
Quit smoking about 4 years ago, after we last drank together, but it's not worth switching to doeskin and retireing in October ;)

Retiring!!??

4 years ago ... I must be getting oldsheimers; I could have sworn that you cruised the streets of TO with me while I scouted out a toy store and received parking tickets (thanks to a certain someone) just a year or so ago ... obviously not.

Time for me to retire too.  :blotto:

Given that one would wear full size medals with a business suit, and miniatures with evening wear (ref), which would be appropriate for a civilian at a mess dinner wearing a business suit?

I'm not sure about a suit, but if you wear a blazer, it's full sized. I really can't recall seeing someone with medals in a full suit. Doesn't mean it can't be done I suppose.

Given that a mess dinner is a formal evening affair, it is not strictly correct to wear a business suit, although this has become acceptable in Canada (i.e. I've never seen anyone turned away for showing up in a business suit instead of black/white tie).  For this reason, it has also become more or less acceptable to wear miniatures with a business suit in Canada when attending an evening function.  In short, one should wear miniatures with a business suit in this context.  In fact, one would really stand out (and not in a good way) if one were to wear full-size medals here.

Another option is to spring for a tux.  It's not that difficult to find a used one in good shape for a reasonable price and it's always useful to have one on hand for that last minure invitation to a wedding, mess dinner or murder mystery party....

Pusser said:
Given that a mess dinner is a formal evening affair, it is not strictly correct to wear a business suit, although this has become acceptable in Canada (i.e. I've never seen anyone turned away for showing up in a business suit instead of black/white tie).  For this reason, it has also become more or less acceptable to wear miniatures with a business suit in Canada when attending an evening function.  In short, one should wear miniatures with a business suit in this context.  In fact, one would really stand out (and not in a good way) if one were to wear full-size medals here.

Another option is to spring for a tux.  It's not that difficult to find a used one in good shape for a reasonable price and it's always useful to have one on hand for that last minure invitation to a wedding, mess dinner or murder mystery party....
I recognize that a tux would be the proper choice, but it's not always practical for everyone. At the event in question business suit has been named as an acceptable alternative. Thanks for the advice.

So here's one I couldn't find an answer to anywhere, and my WO is confused about it as well.  I have a mess dinner to attend, and while it's not the fancy mess dress, the boys will all be wearing their blues, with the white dress shirts and bowties.

I'm pregnant, and I have the maternity DEU's, but no one seems to know what I'm supposed to wear for this thing.  I can't fit a normal white mess blouse now, without my belly hanging out, and no one knows if I'm expected to find a white maternity blouse to wear with a bowtie.

Anyone ever seen a pregnant chick at a mess dinner?  What was she wearing?  No one can answer whether I just wear my blue shirt with the cardigan, or source out a white one.  My CoC is working on it, but I wanted to know if anyone here had seen anything of the like.  I know they changed the maternity DEUs within the last two years --- the smock is no longer, and there's now this old-man-style button-up wool cardigan.  Very attractive, if I may say so.  ::) 

Anyway, if you can help, thanks so much.  If you just want to have a giggle at the thought of how hideous this uniform is, feel free to stop by the mess dinner, I'll be there for the giggles.  ;D

Tell your CoC that since you have no appropriate military dress for the occasion that you will attend in appropriate civilian attire (and make your own reasoned decision on what that is). The important part is your attendance, not the details of dress when you are in a situation none of them are ever likely to experience. Tell them you're choosing common sense over bastardized ritual and tradition for the sake of over-sensitive male egos who will decide that any solution is inappropriate in some way.

Rheostatic said:
... and feel free to paraphrase. :)
Hell no. Change 'you/your' to 'I/my,' add memo formatting, and it's good to go  :nod:

Michael O'Leary said:
Tell your CoC that since you have no appropriate military dress for the occasion that you will attend in appropriate civilian attire (and make your own reasoned decision on what that is). The important part is your attendance, not the details of dress when you are in a situation none of them are ever likely to experience. Tell them you're choosing common sense over bastardized ritual and tradition for the sake of over-sensitive male egos who will decide that any solution is inappropriate in some way.

BONG, BONG, BONG, BONG - STOP THINKING, STOP THINKING, STOP THINKING - COMMON SENSE SUPPRESSION TEAM CLOSE UP - BONG, BONG, BONG, BONG ...

I have seen women at mess dinners in maternity dress, but it was always the old bib style and really no different from day to day wear.  Mr O'Leary, however, has said it best.

Pusser said:
BONG, BONG, BONG, BONG - STOP THINKING, STOP THINKING, STOP THINKING - COMMON SENSE SUPPRESSION TEAM CLOSE UP - BONG, BONG, BONG, BONG ...

I have seen women at mess dinners in maternity dress, but it was always the old bib style and really no different from day to day wear.  Mr O'Leary, however, has said it best.

we have an outbreak of common sense going on here....stop it!!

UNBELEIVERS!! BLASPHEMERS!!! ;)

Sparkplugs said:
So here's one I couldn't find an answer to anywhere, and my WO is confused about it as well.  I have a mess dinner to attend, and while it's not the fancy mess dress, the boys will all be wearing their blues, with the white dress shirts and bowties.

I'm pregnant, and I have the maternity DEU's, but no one seems to know what I'm supposed to wear for this thing.  I can't fit a normal white mess blouse now, without my belly hanging out, and no one knows if I'm expected to find a white maternity blouse to wear with a bowtie.

Anyone ever seen a pregnant chick at a mess dinner?  What was she wearing?  No one can answer whether I just wear my blue shirt with the cardigan, or source out a white one.  My CoC is working on it, but I wanted to know if anyone here had seen anything of the like.  I know they changed the maternity DEUs within the last two years --- the smock is no longer, and there's now this old-man-style button-up wool cardigan.  Very attractive, if I may say so.  ::) 

Anyway, if you can help, thanks so much.  If you just want to have a giggle at the thought of how hideous this uniform is, feel free to stop by the mess dinner, I'll be there for the giggles.  ;D

The appropriate dress for you would be your maternity DEU's or equivalent civilians if approval is gained from the chain of command.  You wouldn't be required to have a different shirt, as the normal CF maternity DEU shirt will work. 

The last mess dinner that I went to (last summer) the 8 month pregnant officer wore a appropriate gown that fit her well for pregnancy as well as floor length.  However the one before that wore her maternity deu's.

Ultimately it will be up to your Chain of Command.  Your approval for dress will come from your RSM or your unit equivalent. 

Hope this helps

Thanks very much for all the help, everyone.  Since I don't have appropriate civilian maternity wear -- only my wedding dress, and a bunch of big t-shirts and maternity jeans, I'll wear the DEUs with the blue shirt.  They got rid of the smock thing, which is nice, and hopefully it won't be sweltering, so the cardigan won't kill me, hahaha! 

Thanks so much again.  :nod:

*Gasp*  :eek: You are giving up a good reason to go out and buy a nice outfit?
If you do it right, with alterations, it will be useful later too.

kratz said:
*Gasp*  :eek: You are giving up a good reason to go out and buy a nice outfit?
If you do it right, with alterations, it will be useful later too.

Hahaha, being a girl, I should love shopping -- but Trenton area is not the greatest for maternity stuff, unless I want the shirt that says, "I'm what happened in Vegas" with an arrow pointing to the belly.  ;D

Back