• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mess Kits

recceguy said:
My tailor left enough material in mine that I was able to adjust mine for the last 22 years of my career.  ;)

Andre did that for mine and I visited him three times to exercise the option.

Lightguns said:
Mess kit is a career investment as a professional.  I never regretted buying it, and enjoyed my time in it.  I even bought the damn blue optional army wedgie.  If you do not wish to be a part of our great tradition, maybe the military ain't for you.  Now that I am about to end my career I regret not buying the sword, really want to have it in my man cave.  I am heartfelt sorry that I did not participate in that bit of my profession.

It's never too late to buy sword!  I recommend either of these guys:

http://www.guthriewoods.com/

http://www.crisp-and-sons.com/aboutus.htm

George Wallace said:
If it were a Tuxedo, how often would you wear it? 

Mess Kit is formal wear, worn by military personnel.  Tuxedos are formal wear worn by civilians.  Your point, about an expensive suit, does not equate to Mess Kit in this discussion.

Not the same argument. When I need a tux I go downtown and rent one for the night. It isn't sitting in my closet for years waiting for the next formal event.

Thucydides said:
Not the same argument. When I need a tux I go downtown and rent one for the night. It isn't sitting in my closet for years waiting for the next formal event.
This topic could very easily be merged with any discussions about the Death of the Messes. Why aren't "you" wearing mess dress more often? Because your unit/your mess isn't creating the need.

quadrapiper said:
This topic could very easily be merged with any discussions about the Death of the Messes. Why aren't "you" wearing mess dress more often? Because your unit/your mess isn't creating the need.

may be off topic but we had the same discussion 2-3 weeks ago in our mess ( PRes Arty unit ) about the fact that people no longer cared about mess , and what it meant , no one would show up after exercise , no one would show up at any "activities" etc.

Speaking of Swords, a nice method of display vice on a wall.

If you can overcome "she who must be obeyed", it looks good beside a fireplace.

One of two problems with Mess Kit is they are the natural habitat of the shrink moth, and what do you do with it when you retire: wear once a year (although I understand the Army frowns on the wear by retired mbrs) donate or sell.

Rifleman62 said:
Speaking of Swords, a nice method of display vice on a wall.

If you can overcome "she who must be obeyed", it looks good beside a fireplace.

One of two problems with Mess Kit is they are the natural habitat of the shrink moth, and what do you do with it when you retire: wear once a year (although I understand the Army frowns on the wear by retired mbrs) donate or sell.

LOL.

I agree.  I purchased a display box/Shadow box to mount on the wall with hangers for the sword and scabbard.  (It is best to display the sword and scabbard separately, as the sword may start to rust if kept in the scabbard for long periods in humid conditions.)

As recceguy pointed out, that extra fabric does pay off over time. 

Some units are very accepting of retired members still wearing their Mess Kit to approved functions.  If not, one can still pass their Mess Kit on to a serving member at a reduced cost.

blackberet17 said:
:rofl:

Thought you might...;)

As the Snr Subby, I'll see what I can do by way of "effecting change".

Print the 2 pics above from the CFDI, carry in your pocket...wait for the obvious question.  ;D

Thucydides said:

Nor is your point about an expensive suit.

However?  How much is a Tux Rental these days; and what would the accumulated expense be over a twenty year (let's say) period be?

Eye In The Sky said:
Print the 2 pics above from the CFDI, carry in your pocket...wait for the obvious question.  ;D

Beat you to the punch, EITS, printed the first one off, going on my board in the Sqn lines. See what my Adjt thinks  ;D

Pusser said:
It's never too late to buy sword!  I recommend either of these guys:

http://www.guthriewoods.com/

http://www.crisp-and-sons.com/aboutus.htm

I would add these guys: http://www.militaryheritage.com/swords2.htm

Much less expensive for something that appears will do the job.

What the usual turnaround time for a Mess Dress order? I've been on field ops for what seems like an eternity and only just got in to put my order, hoping I can then pick it up on 09 September.

Was about 4-6 weeks if I remember correctly from Andrei's, they might be able to rush it for you.

PuckChaser said:
Was about 4-6 weeks if I remember correctly from Andrei's, they might be able to rush it for you.

It's only been a day, but I'm still waiting on confirmation of order and quote from Andrei's so hopefully I'll ask what he can do for me.

Now I know their website says they have Wellingtons in stock, however, does anyone know the price? I've tried a few other places but none that come with spur boxes, and the places that do, are either UK companies or egregiously expensive.

Boulet doesn't seem to have any (anymore). I don't really know where else to look, I'm tempted to just order a pair of George or Chelsea boots from the UK... But with shipping and duty, it may not even be worth it.

Many many years ago, I used to recommend people check with the local RCMP detachment--not for their riding boots but for boxed quarter Wellingtons.

Sanderson said:
Many many years ago, I used to recommend people check with the local RCMP detachment--not for their riding boots but for boxed quarter Wellingtons.

You sir, are brilliant! There's one nearby, I'll ask and see if there's anything they can do.

LunchMeat said:
You sir, are brilliant! There's one nearby, I'll ask and see if there's anything they can do.
Alberta Boot in Cowtown makes them. A fine company. So if you're ever in YYC pop in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone seen success before in converting mess kits between patterns? I have my dad's old LogO mess jacket that he handed down to me, and I'm wanting to look at getting it converted to a highland infantry regiment's NCO jacket for wear with mess dress. I know jack squat about mess dress and if I'm even in the right ball park thinking this may be possible.

Back