• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MESO Occupation Management Questions

MESO Occupation Manager

Inactive
Reaction score
Good Day to All MESO's,
                                      As a new user to this Forum, I wanted to introduce myself as the DMar Pers Occupation Manager for the MESO Trade. This is a very busy time for the MESO trade full of transition and lots of questions. My goal is to provide you with as much up to date information as possible by answering your questions in a timely manner. I will be monitoring the postings frequently and I look fwd to some lively discussions.

I noticed the MESO trade has been removed from the recruiting website. Does this mean the CF is no longer recruiting Stokers and if so, how does that impact the future of our trade? I have heard many rumblings about a merger between Reg F MEMs and PRes MESOs -- is that something that is coming down the line? I am still working through my QL1 courses and would like to know if it is worthwhile sticking with this trade or, if the trade is going to be significantly altered in a few years, trying to remuster into another. There is generally low morale at the NRDs among the MESOs and most that I've encountered are looking to either remuster or CT. What incentives would you say there are to pushing through the years of summer training necessary to become qualified in a trade whose future is, at best, uncertain?

nugget said:
I noticed the MESO trade has been removed from the recruiting website. Does this mean the CF is no longer recruiting Stokers and if so, how does that impact the future of our trade? I have heard many rumblings about a merger between Reg F MEMs and PRes MESOs -- is that something that is coming down the line? I am still working through my QL1 courses and would like to know if it is worthwhile sticking with this trade or, if the trade is going to be significantly altered in a few years, trying to remuster into another. There is generally low morale at the NRDs among the MESOs and most that I've encountered are looking to either remuster or CT. What incentives would you say there are to pushing through the years of summer training necessary to become qualified in a trade whose future is, at best, uncertain?

Here you go http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/navres/12/12-n_eng.asp?category=148&title=1062 . The CF are actively recruiting MESO"s and we are doing much to clear up the backlog of MESO's awaiting training. We are also actively working toward the eventual merger between the trades, the reserve trade will probably be called MAR ENG(R) eventually. The trade is going to undergo a review in Jan and see how it carries over to the regular force equivalent and will eventually move our training towards what the regular force gets. the idea is that eventually  reserves will be able to go to CPF's or pretty much any platform.
Starting next week we will have several KINGSTON class Cert A's on CPF's to qualify on their AMOC, which is the regular force equivalent of the A ticket.
They are also building a KINGSTON Class MCR simulator in Quebec City at fleet school Quebec in order to cut down on the time it takes to qualify a MESO, this will bode well for the class A MESO who cannot always get away for extended periods and is an excellent way to keep up skills. A smaller version of the trainer will be PC based and situated in each NRD.
The future is bright for the MESO trade, with exciting and interesting times ahead.

I should have specified that when I said 'recruiting website', I meant Forces.ca.

I'm glad to hear there are gears turning to clear the training backlog; I know of at least one three-year OS who has been training as often as she is able and still has one more year before her LS. The time necessary to become minimally qualified in the trade is certainly daunting. If the MESO trade is seeking to become equivalent to their Reg Force counterpart, wouldn't that imply an increase in training? And what sort of timeline is being looked at as far as implementation of such a training program - 2/5/10 years? How will those who went through an earlier iteration be affected?

The trade was definitely sold well to me by the recruiters so I do hope it can live up to its potential.

nugget said:
I should have specified that when I said 'recruiting website', I meant Forces.ca.

I'm glad to hear there are gears turning to clear the training backlog; I know of at least one three-year OS who has been training as often as she is able and still has one more year before her LS. The time necessary to become minimally qualified in the trade is certainly daunting. If the MESO trade is seeking to become equivalent to their Reg Force counterpart, wouldn't that imply an increase in training? And what sort of timeline is being looked at as far as implementation of such a training program - 2/5/10 years? How will those who went through an earlier iteration be affected?

The trade was definitely sold well to me by the recruiters so I do hope it can live up to its potential.

At the lower end such as the A ticket equivalency should be straight forward, for the B and C ticket it will be more difficult due to the coursing. Its being looked at right now. Right now you should be able to have a cert A in 2 years. For people who already have tickets there will be a delta package that you will do to get the regular force equivalent. As for timings it will a few years, certainly not 10 years. Quite a bit of the training will also be going computer based as well. Where exactly are you in your training if I might ask?

Not nearly where I'd like to/feel I should be, unfortunately. I've yet to even tackle my QL1 Phase I due to my civilian obligations, but I'm planning to make time this summer in order to get at least that course completed.

nugget said:
Not nearly where I'd like to/feel I should be, unfortunately. I've yet to even tackle my QL1 Phase I due to my civilian obligations, but I'm planning to make time this summer in order to get at least that course completed.

If you get out on on your phase 1 this summer you should be able to have your Cert A at the end of the course for your phase 4.

I noticed the MESO trade sheet on the NAVRES site has reverted to an older version, back when its MOC was R315. As a result, it states a much shorter (and, as far as I'm aware, incorrect) basic MOC training schedule. I'm wondering if this is indicative of a new training program being put out soon. Any word on this? A shorter QL1 duration and realistic restoration of the AB would be marvelous.

nugget said:
I noticed the MESO trade sheet on the NAVRES site has reverted to an older version, back when its MOC was R315. As a result, it states a much shorter (and, as far as I'm aware, incorrect) basic MOC training schedule. I'm wondering if this is indicative of a new training program being put out soon. Any word on this? A shorter QL1 duration and realistic restoration of the AB would be marvelous.

I really don't know why the trade sheet has reverted, although i'll find out. As far as I know there are no changes.

A new line of questions!

Unfortunately, due to a number of factors, I couldn't get on a course this summer. I have talked with my civvy job and they are amenable to giving me 6 months off to get all my trades training done, which will hopefully be a solution to the work-navy balance problem I've been encountering.

Judging from the 2011/12 training calendar, it is theoretically possible to do Phases 2, 3 and 4 of the QL1 training consecutively with minimal downtime. I am wondering, however, if this actually ever happens. Would you be able to shed any light on that, Chief Stoker?

The theoretical schedule I am referring to is:
Phase 2, Part 1 ... Feb-Mar (per 2012/13 calendar)
Phase 2, Part 2 ... Mar-Apr (per 2012/13 calendar)
Phase 3 ............... Apr-Jun (per 2011/12 calendar)
Phase 4 ............... Jun-July (per 2011/12 calendar)

nugget said:
A new line of questions!

Unfortunately, due to a number of factors, I couldn't get on a course this summer. I have talked with my civvy job and they are amenable to giving me 6 months off to get all my trades training done, which will hopefully be a solution to the work-navy balance problem I've been encountering.

Judging from the 2011/12 training calendar, it is theoretically possible to do Phases 2, 3 and 4 of the QL1 training consecutively with minimal downtime. I am wondering, however, if this actually ever happens. Would you be able to shed any light on that, Chief Stoker?

The theoretical schedule I am referring to is:
Phase 2, Part 1 ... Feb-Mar (per 2012/13 calendar)
Phase 2, Part 2 ... Mar-Apr (per 2012/13 calendar)
Phase 3 ............... Apr-Jun (per 2011/12 calendar)
Phase 4 ............... Jun-July (per 2011/12 calendar)

Sorry for the late reply as I just go back from sea and leaving again on Mon. Yes it is possible to do 2-4 consecutively with little gap, however some courses are cancelled due to zero and minimum loading. The courses are more or less set up for students for the summer period Apr-Aug. So yes to your question about getting all the QL1 including your A ticket in 6 months including a consolation period. Ensure that if you are taking a 6 month period off that your supervisor lets your Career manager know your circumstances and he will try and load you on the right courses during your availability period.

Back