• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merry Christmas, Heres your senate seat.

retiredgrunt45

Inactive
Reaction score
When I first heard about this a week back, I thought it might be a bad rumour, but today that rumour sprouted into reality. Well I guess as that time old analogy says "If you can't beat them, you may as well join them". Not surprising this coming from the Mr. Harper, after all this is the same PM that changes his mind as often as the TSX changes its daily index.

We now have 18 new senators, all appointed in just one day, Wow! History in the making. We have now been initiated into the exclusive club of Banana Republic's and rubbing shoulders with such names as Zimbabwe, Haiti, Ethiopia, Mogadishu and Congo, just to name a few. I wonder if we'll put a banana on our flag, or maybe even replace the maple leaf for a banana tree, which correctly reflects our new status.  

At $130,000.00 annual salary and a $90,000.00 annual expense budget per senator,X that by 18=  $3,960,000.00 that quite a stimulus package Mr Harper. The only problem here is he gave it to the wrong people. But hey no one ever accused him of doing the right thing or doing things on a small scale, after all he's a big thinker, almost as big as his ego.

Oh well while I sit back and count my nickels this year wondering if I can afford those new pair of winter boots, I have the comfort in knowing that Nancy Green and Mike Duffy will be picking my pockets and fighting for democracy on my behalf. I now know why Mike Duffy had a grin on his face as big as the Grand Canyon last week on the CTV news. He can now retire and draw not one but two pensions.

Whats next; Prime Minister Harper names himself PM for life, or at least until he's 75. But hey anything seems to go in a "banana republic" After all President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwa did it.

Cheers.

Soooooo......it's ok for the Liberals and company to fill the vacancies, but Harper is a Neanderthal if he does......do all your mirrors have two sides?

retiredgrunt45 said:
Whats next; Prime Minister Harper names himself PM for life, or at least until he's 75. But hey anything seems to go in a "banana republic" After all President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwa did it.

And shortly there after we become the 52nd-60th states of US.  How long do you think it would take any President to cross the border to topple a Canadian dictatorship? my guess it wouldn't be long.

Nope there all one sided just like anyone elses and the difference here is when the Liberals did it Parliament wasn't prorogued, so the opposition had a say. Democracy not Anarchy.

My dislike of Mr Harper has nothing to do with it, if this was done by Liberals I would be just as outraged. We're heading down that slippery slope of a one man show and once we hit the bottom, there's no way back up. Jean Chretien tried it and it got him booted out and he had a majority.

This is just another play by a government who is desperate and will try anything to stay in power, even it it means doing some of the same underhanded things the Liberals did in the 90's. So whats makes them any better now.

Liberals did it Parliament wasn't prorogued, so the opposition had a say. Democracy not Anarchy.

That's nonsense.....the opposition has NEVER had a say in Senate appointments.....the past seems to better remembered than lived....

Gap that's not my point. The Parliament was not prorogued when senate seats were filled back then, At least he should of waited until parliament resumed and then appoint his senators, Fair enough.

You can talk till your blue in the face my stance is what he's doing is just as bad as what was done in the past and it remains just a immoral as it was back then.

Yes I lived through the past also and I seen some of the things that were being done, That's doesn't mean that a government now has to do the same things now and then turn around and say there not.

As far as i'm concerned there's no line between the liberals and the conservatives in any of their motives or behavoirs, there both doing the same things and then turning around and denying the fact that what their doing is not in any way immoral.

Wallin, Duffy among 18 named to fill Senate seats

Last Updated: Monday, December 22, 2008 | 2:17 PM ET CBC News

harper-duffy-cp-6011709.jpg

Prime Minister Stephen Harper walks away following a television interview with Mike Duffy in Ottawa in February 2007. (Tom Hanson/Canadian Press)

Prime Minister Stephen Harper named 18 people to the Senate on Monday, filling all the vacancies in an effort to balance out the Liberal-dominated chamber before the possibility of an election in the new year.

Among those appointed to regionally distributed seats in the upper house were former broadcaster Pamela Wallin (Sask.), Olympian Nancy Greene Raine (B.C.) and CTV broadcaster Mike Duffy (P.E.I.).

Harper's announcement sets a record for the most Senate appointments by a prime minister in a single day.

Others who were named to the Senate are:

Former MP Fabian Manning (N.L.).
Lawyer Fred Dickson (N.S.).
Stephen Greene, former deputy chief of staff to N.S. Premier Rodney MacDonald (N.S.).
N.S. businessman Michael L. MacDonald (N.S.).
Long-time New Brunswick MLA and cabinet minister Percy Mockler (N.B.).
Lawyer John D. Wallace (N.B.).
National chief of the Congress of Aboriginal Peoples Patrick Brazeau (Que.).
Former MP and teacher Suzanne Fortin-Duplessis (Que.).
Director of Via Rail Canada Leo Housakos (Que.).
Former Quebec MNA Michel Rivard (Que.).
Nicole Eaton, member of the prominent Eaton family (Ont.).
Businessman Irving Gerstein (Ont.).
Co-founder of the Corean Canadian Coactive (C3) society Yonah Martin (B.C.).
Provincial cabinet minister Richard Neufeld (B.C.).
Former Yukon MLA Hector Daniel Lang (Yukon).
Move thwarts coalition appointments
The prime minister said he filled the vacancies to prevent a potential Liberal-NDP coalition from getting the opportunity.

pamela-wallin-cp-6011711.jpg

Pamela Wallin talks about Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, Canadian Edition, at a press conference in Toronto in August 2000. (Aaron Harris/Canadian Press)

"If Senate vacancies are to be filled … they should be filled by the government that Canadians elected rather than by a coalition that no one voted for," Harper said in a press release.

He vowed to continue pushing for Senate reforms, and said all incoming Senators had promised to support eight-year term limits and other Senate reform legislation.

"For our part, we will continue working with the provinces and reform-minded parliamentarians to build a more accountable and democratic Senate," said Harper.

Opposition parties have been critical of Harper's decision to make patronage appointments during a time when Parliament is prorogued, saying the prime minister does not have the confidence of the House of Commons.

In early December, Harper asked Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean to prorogue Parliament until Jan. 26, a move aimed at avoiding a confidence vote in which opposition parties planned to topple his minority government and try to bring a Liberal-NDP coalition to power.

But the opposition parties could still trigger an election on Jan. 27 when the minority Conservatives introduce their annual budget, and Harper is worried about losing the chance to fill the seats, said CBC's Margo McDiarmid.

2 prior Senate appointments
Harper's appointment of senators marks a significant departure from his long-held position that Senate members should be elected.

Until now, the prime minister held off filling the 18 vacancies in hopes of reforming the Senate to make sure members are elected, but he has been unable to pass any legislation to that effect.

nancy-greene-cp-6011712.jpg

Canadian downhill skiing legend Nancy Greene Raine is shown at the unveiling of her star on Canada's Walk of Fame in Toronto in 1999. (Kevin Frayer/Canadian Press)

Prior to Monday's appointments, Liberal-affiliated senators occupied 58 of the 105 seats, while 20 were held by Conservatives. Other seats are held by Independents and senators of other party affiliations.

The Tories had previously only named Quebecer Michael Fortier and Albertan Bert Brown to the Senate since coming to power in early 2006.

Following the January 2006 election of a Conservative minority government, Harper gave Fortier a seat in the Senate and then appointed him to a cabinet post, a decision he said was to ensure representation for Montreal. The Montreal lawyer resigned from his Senate seat for an unsuccessful bid in the October election.

Brown won his seat in an election in Alberta, the only province to elect senators. In November, Saskatchewan introduced legislation to allow voters to choose senators.

Also Monday, Harper made another high-profile appointment — naming Thomas Cromwell of the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal to the Supreme Court.

By doing so, the prime minister bypassed a parliamentary hearing process he has championed to more openly scrutinize nominees.

With files from the Canadian Press

My quick count is that Chretien appointed 38 Senators, all Liberals.

Martin appointed 17 Senators in his tenure.  Six were members of a different party, including some very worthy names like Hugh Segal and Lillian Dyck.

Now, with Harper, we're back to the same style as Chretien.  I have to say, given the choice between the two, I prefer Martin's method, which favours the governing party but doesn't shut out distinguished opposition members as well.  Ideally, though, I'd like to see Senate elections or abolition.

It's only politics....the PM has the right, other PM's have appointed senators when Parliament is not is session. Harper would be stupid not to appoint the senators now with no cooperation from the provinces and the remote possibility of his government falling Jan 26.

While it's not likely they will lose the vote, but attaining power and keeping it is what it is all about. Iggy and company would not do anything different.

It's only politics....the PM has the right, other PM's have appointed senators when Parliament is not is session. Harper would be stupid not to appoint the senators now with no cooperation from the provinces and the remote possibility of his government falling Jan 26.

Being "Prorogued" and "Not being in session" are two very different situations.

Proroguing means to turning of the lights, locking the doors and forcing the closure of Parliament. You come back when I say so.

Not being in session, means just that, 'we're on holidays, Christmas, summer holidays. The PM doesn't go the GG and ask her to close down the house. Big difference.

Stupid or not, he should not be doing it while the house is prorogued and he should not be changing his mind on this, especially after having told us he wouldn't be appointing senators unless they've been elected not two short years ago.

Like I said previously he's no better that the Liberals where.

The point in my first post stands

retiredgrunt45 said:
When I first heard about this a week back, I thought it might be a bad rumour, but today that rumour sprouted into reality. Well I guess as that time old analogy says "If you can't beat them, you may as well join them". Not surprising this coming from the Mr. Harper, after all this is the same PM that changes his mind as often as the TSX changes its daily index.

We now have 18 new senators, all appointed in just one day, Wow! History in the making. We have now been initiated into the exclusive club of Banana Republic's and rubbing shoulders with such names as Zimbabwe, Haiti, Ethiopia, Mogadishu and Congo, just to name a few. I wonder if we'll put a banana on our flag, or maybe even replace the maple leaf for a banana tree, which correctly reflects our new status.  

At $130,000.00 annual salary and a $90,000.00 annual expense budget per senator,X that by 18=  $3,960,000.00 that quite a stimulus package Mr Harper. The only problem here is he gave it to the wrong people. But hey no one ever accused him of doing the right thing or doing things on a small scale, after all he's a big thinker, almost as big as his ego.

Oh well while I sit back and count my nickels this year wondering if I can afford those new pair of winter boots, I have the comfort in knowing that Nancy Green and Mike Duffy will be picking my pockets and fighting for democracy on my behalf. I now know why Mike Duffy had a grin on his face as big as the Grand Canyon last week on the CTV news. He can now retire and draw not one but two pensions.

Cheers.

What a load of Bull Dung.  Are you some paid Lieberal Hack? 

Even if all of these 18 are Conservatives, I am sure the Lieberals still hold the majority in the Senate, and will still stall or kill any Conservative initiatives in Parliament.

What a load of Bull Dung.  Are you some paid Liberal Hack? 

Sorry George not guilty on both counts I'm neither Liberal nor Conservative. I gave up my partinship long time ago. Just expressing my view like every other Canadian is en tilted to. Or are we not allowed to do that anymore?

Seems to me your asking me to shut my mouth and go on my merry way. Sorry but as long as i'm civil in expressing my view I have just as much of a right to express my opinion as you do and I guess I just heard yours.

Also I'm sure the Liberals are not paying much these days.

retiredgrunt45 said:
Seems to me your asking me to shut my mouth and go on my merry way.

Not at all.  You may want to reflect on what you wrote first; give it a little more thought and substance, rather than just hitting POST.  It may come off more as a topic worthy of discussion, instead of an emotional rant.

I am just glad he went ahead and did it. The spectacle of a Liberal-NDP-Bloc coalition buying support by promising senate appointments was cringe worthy and seeing the option taken away from them was priceless.

Well, all the appointees had to agree with Harper before they were given the seats that they would accept Senate reforms once Parliament resumes and the bill can be passed. Can the same be said for the Liberal senators who got the "I donated a million dollars to the party, here's a Senate seat". Yes, the appointees are supporters of the Conservative party, however most, if not all are notable Canadians who either spent a long time in politics, or have an Order of Canada to their name.

Harper's even taking flak for approving a new judge to the Supreme Court, a person who's been described as a centrist, not a Conservative. I think its time to put away the tinfoil hat.

Sorry George but everything I said had nothing to do with emotions, it was my opinion, like it or not. I'm sure you have your own view and your entitled to it. But please don't assume to know what my state of mind is when I post something.

I though about every word I wrote and that is exactly how I see it from a logical point of view , no emotions enter into the equation. Its black or its white. I think what he did was wrong giving the timing the appointments were given, simple.

You seem to think what he did was right, that's OK, thats your opinion and your entilted to it, just don't go and prejudge someone who doesn't agree with you.

Given that, what would have been your opinion if Harper had made the appointments last August when parliment was adjourned?

retiredgrunt45 said:
Sorry George but everything I said had nothing to do with emotions, it was my opinion, like it or not. I'm sure you have your own view and your entitled to it. But please don't assume to know what my state of mind is when I post something.

I though about every word I wrote and that is exactly how I see it from a logical point of view , no emotions enter into the equation. Its black or its white. I think what he did was wrong giving the timing the appointments were given, simple.

You seem to think what he did was right, that's OK, thats your opinion and your entilted to it, just don't go and prejudge someone who doesn't agree with you.

I guess you'd have been happy to let Dion\Layton make Elizabeth May a Senator then?

Given that, what would have been your opinion if Harper had made the appointments last August when Parliament was adjourned?

That would have been fine with, but as he has locked everyone out, that should have meant also for himself. Proroguing means "everyone" is locked out, not just certain entities. If Dion,Martin or Chretien had of done this I would have been just as critical about them.

I guess you'd have been happy to let Dion\Layton make Elizabeth May a Senator then?

First of an appointed senate in my view is a total waste of tax payers money. What I would like to see and was hoping for was an elected senate, but that never happened and it won't happen now, because the person who was advocating for it the longest, did a turn coat and joined the party.
2ND its the timing the appointments are taking place, just have the moral fortitude to wait until the house returns, at least have some respect for the institution. Morality seems to be in very short supply in Ottawa these days. He talks about Martin and Chretien, but he's doing the same things he has criticized them for doing. Matter of fact he's more in line with Trudeau that he is with either Chretien or Martin, because Trudeau also did as he pleased most of the time and didn't much care what anyone thought about it.

Canada is the only country who is having this problem, partinship is running rampant in Ottawa and its beginning to undermine what this country stands for. If we can't put aside the bickering and the nonsense and focus on whats important, then we are no better than the banana republics I mentioned in my original post. Our politicians have become like spoiled children and they need a Sturn nanny to teach them a lesson and bring their focus back on whats important, the people of this country.

retiredgrunt45,
You might be interested in some of the cometary here:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/25692/post-791893.html#msg791893

Back