• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mercy Killing? Euthanasia? Split From Capt. Semrau Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipperhead_cop

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure "mercy killing" is a non-starter defence.  From the information provided thus far, the case has no merit in a criminal sense.  Unless somebody in his team is going to come forward and give some previously unknown information.  I would hope that is not the case. 

zipperhead_cop said:
I'm pretty sure "mercy killing" is a non-starter defence. 

Mercy killing was Dr Death Kevorkian's defence. They sentenced him to 10-15 years in the Michigan Pen. I don't know if mercy killing is a defence in Canadian courts? It wasn't for Robert Latimer.
I found this, if interested:
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/local/article/17566--mercy-killing-a-reasonable-request-or-murder

zipperhead_cop said:
No, it is not a defense.  Strangely though, we routinely decide when our old people have had it and then put them on a steady diet of morphine with no food or water.  They call it "palliative care".  For whatever reason, it isn't considered murder.  Go figure?  ???
(for the record, I support mercy killing)

A better example is that we humanely put down our pets when they have no quality of life remaining or to end their suffering, and we call it euthanasia. 

Yet the terminally ill are forced to live out their last days while enduring insufferable pain, or drugged up beyond comprehension.  Something just isn't right there...

zipperhead_cop said:
(for the record, I support mercy killing)
For the record, I believe that the recreational use of marajuana should be legal. 

HOWEVER
Before anyone makes me pee in a bottle, what I think is more important is the rule of law.  I am but one person living in this land, and I get but one vote.  Society has decreed, rightly or wrongly, that the recreational use of marajuana is should be illegal.  Therefore, it is more important that I abide by all laws, not just the laws with which I agree.  As such, when I joined the army back in the 1980s, I was asked if I used marajuana (among other drugs).  I answered "yes".  They told this then-18 year old that I couldn't continue to do so if I were to join up.  I asked if I were allowed to drink.  They said yes, so I shrugged my shoulders and signed up.  I have since complied with the law.
Years later, when doing a security clearance, I was asked if I had ever done marajuana.  I said yes.  He asked why, and my answer was simply that I was a teenager, and I couldn't access beer, so...

Anyway, my point is that shooting an unarmed enemy who is no longer a threat is a clear violation of international law.  I'm not saying that Rob Semrau is guilty or innocent, I'm just talking about an act.  Rob is my friend, and I made it clear to him that I would not discuss the case before him with him.  I also told him that he was my friend no matter what, and I made a point of letting him, and others, know that.  I have no idea what he did out there, and I have made no attempt to find out.  I just hope that he is treated fairly and in accordance with the rule of law.  Whether he is convicted or found not guilty, he will remain my friend.

So, all that being said, I'm not so sure that he is being chucked under the bus, or that he's our version of Breaker Morant.  All I know is that he's been accused of something and he's going before a court martial to decide guilt or innocence.

Technoviking said:
Anyway, my point is that shooting an unarmed enemy who is no longer a threat is a clear violation of international law.

I agree.  My mercy killing comment was a direct comment to my palliative care comment ie) I didn't want people to think I was against palliative care.

However, from what we have heard thus far, there is no evidence to support that Capt Semrau shot an unarmed, wounded person.  Surely there is a witness list out?  He has to have gotten full disclosure of the prosecutions case against him.  If one of the guys from his OMLT team was going to testify against him, I would have thought that information would be out by now. 

Occam said:
A better example is that we humanely put down our pets when they have no quality of life remaining or to end their suffering, and we call it euthanasia. 

Yet the terminally ill are forced to live out their last days while enduring insufferable pain, or drugged up beyond comprehension.  Something just isn't right there...

This is getting off topic (in any case the Captain has not been charged with mercy killing nor has he offered it as a defence), but I take issue with your comparing how we treat pets with how we treat the terminally ill. Pets are not people, they are animals. We can also put pets down when they become an inconvenience to us.

Split this off after several requests.......however I may have missed something as I now have a bald spot from pulling my hair out waiting for the site to process it.
Bruce

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Split this off after several requests.......however I may have missed something as I now have a bald spot from pulling my hair out waiting for the site to process it.
Bruce

Thanks, Bruce.

Tango2Bravo said:
This is getting off topic (in any case the Captain has not been charged with mercy killing nor has he offered it as a defence), but I take issue with your comparing how we treat pets with how we treat the terminally ill. Pets are not people, they are animals. We can also put pets down when they become an inconvenience to us.

I'm not quite sure of the point you're trying to make.  Yes, we can put pets down when they become inconvenient to us, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.  My point was that we show more mercy to pets (which are arguably lesser beings than humans) than we do to our own kind.  Is there room for abuse in assisted suicide/human euthanasia?  You bet, but that can be mitigated with legislation.

My family knows that in the event that I am critically injured to the point where I have no quality of life remaining and am in a vegetative state, that no heroic measures are to be taken to save my life in the event that my medulla oblongata is too stupid to give up.  If it were legal, that would extend to ending my life in a humane way.

edit:  For the record, I have two 13-year-old German Shepherds who I consider part of my family.  They're starting to show their age, and when the time comes, it'll destroy me to have to do it, but they will be euthanized when their pain becomes unmanageable.  Shouldn't humans deserve the same kindness?

My point is that there are fundamental differences between dealing with animals and dealing with humans, the principle difference being that we are humans. We buy, sell, kill and euthanize animals. You own your pets. You do not own your relatives. Make your argument for mercy killing, but please don't use principles of pet care when talking about people.

I see a huge difference between DNR orders/ suspension of heroic measures and euthanasia. I completely understand a terminally ill person asking that heroic measures not be taken, or refusing a surgery that may only prolong his life for a little while without any hope of recovery. What I do not support is helping someone actively end their life.

Tango2Bravo said:

The comparison is still very real, whether you take issue with it or not.

In countries where assisted-suicide is legal, the terminally ill can/will have a loved one "put them down" when they become an inconvenience to their family.

Assisted suicide here is illegal, because a majority of people decided it was inhumane and immoral. It is also illegal to euthanize a pet yourself since it could be inhumane if done improperly.

Tango2Bravo said:
My point is that there are fundamental differences between dealing with animals and dealing with humans, the principle difference being that we are humans. We buy, sell, kill and euthanize animals. You own your pets. You do not own your relatives. Make your argument for mercy killing, but please don't use principles of pet care when talking about people.

What makes us so special?

And who's "we" exactly? If "we" means humans, then "we" buy, sell, kill and euthanize humans too. And yes, "we" own other humans, too.

Now, if "we" is just your perfect image of what a human should be, well, "we" is pretty vague and up for interpretation.

If you cannot make the mental leap from animal to human, then perhaps you lack that which makes us different: rational thought.
If that's the case, then go join PETA and protest the fact that I cage animals on my property, feed them food that will help them grow, and then have them shot in the forehead, skinned and butchered.  All so that I can enjoy a pork chop or rack of ribs from time to time.

ballz said:
What makes us so special?

And who's "we" exactly? If "we" means humans, then "we" buy, sell, kill and euthanize humans too. And yes, "we" own other humans, too.

Now, if "we" is just your perfect image of what a human should be, well, "we" is pretty vague and up for interpretation.

Since you referred to "us" I'm guessing you know what "we" meant when I was talking about animals and humans. While biologically humans are indeed animals, we do indeed stand apart. We are special, based on our brains and capacity for higher thought.

Now, to be specific I do imply that "we" humans are acting in an ethical and legal manner when describing our behaviour. So no, we don't buy, sell and own other people. For the purposes of euthanasia I am specifically referring to Canada.

I am all for the humane treatment of animals, but I do not want our standard of ethical/legal treatment of fellow humans to be guided by how we treat animals.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Bruce

/off topic

Here you go Bruce, maybe this will help..............

men_rogaine_foam_3month_enlarge.jpg

;D

/on topic

Tango2Bravo said:

I see a connection, but let's go ahead and talk about humans alone.

I see a huge difference between DNR orders/ suspension of heroic measures and euthanasia. I completely understand a terminally ill person asking that heroic measures not be taken, or refusing a surgery that may only prolong his life for a little while without any hope of recovery. What I do not support is helping someone actively end their life.

And why not? There's a hell of a difference between involuntary euthanasia and a rational person choosing not to survive under certain conditions.

My grandfather died in a car crash in the mid-nineties. His corpse stopped breathing last spring. He had a living will stating that extraordinary measures were not to be taken to resuscitate him, and it was done anyway. He spent the next ten years fumbling through whatever means at hand trying to kill himself or have others help him to do so.

He had severe brain damage, but if he had difficulty articulating it, he still knew what he wanted and I regret not being able to help him to do so.

I see a few degrees of what could be done here:

-a demonstrably lucid, articulate, and responsible person choosing to terminate their life because of extenuating medical circumstances. Disabling pain, and progressive debilitation with no possibility of recovery. This is what I understand Netherlands policy goes by, and which some lobbyists for the disabled view to be unacceptable due to pressure for candidates to choose the option. Paraplegics shouldn't be offered it, but someone who's busy dying a horrible death should.

-a person who is not medically competent to make their own decisions (and will not recover to do so in the future) but who has made such decisions on their behalf against such an event. If buddy's going to be a mental vegetable, let him choose to die. A relative came on the scene in my grandfather's case, and overrode his will. She was aware that his choice hadn't changed, but she just couldn't accept his death. She spent the next ten years wishing she'd hadn't lifted the DNR, and a living will under a modified law might have allowed the corpse to finish dying even after the fact.

There would need to be a properly documented living will outlining the terms under which the patient could be terminated, and there would need to be no reasonable challenge (eg. sister saying "we'd talked it over the day before the accident and he'd changed his mind).

-Prescribed euthanasia. Bureaucrats developing policies to guide doctors as they decide who lives and dies, which predicted qualities of life are acceptable or not. The end-result of slippery slope arguments against mercy killing.

I don't support the last variant, and the second variant is hard to argue for when the first isn't even accepted as appropriate.

I accept that most suicidal people are sick and need help. I don't accept that people who are looking at what they themselves consider a miserable, painful life don't have a choice in the matter.

Technoviking said:
If you cannot make the mental leap from animal to human, then perhaps you lack that which makes us different: rational thought.
If that's the case, then go join PETA and protest the fact that I cage animals on my property, feed them food that will help them grow, and then have them shot in the forehead, skinned and butchered.  All so that I can enjoy a pork chop or rack of ribs from time to time.

Techno, there are more dead animals, and of more variety than one can possibly imagine, in my freezer than any PETA member could take without tofu-pieing my ass.

The whole thing with humans being "superior" irks me, because our own intelligence is becoming arrogance and holding us back. Just like right now, where assisted-suicide or euthanasia is being called wrong when dealing with humans but not wrong when dealing with animals. Why is it humans feel global warming is "our" fault. Or that animals dying off is "our" fault. That's it's our responsibility to "save the planet?" The very thing that has made us so intelligent is the very reason other animals die off. Darwinism.

On a lighter note, from a smarter man than I, here are my thoughts exactly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyxuVFzKypU

[quote author=Tango2Bravo]Now, to be specific I do imply that "we" humans are acting in an ethical and legal manner when describing our behaviour. So no, we don't buy, sell and own other people. For the purposes of euthanasia I am specifically referring to Canada.[/quote]

What about Switzerland? They have the lowest crime rate in the world, maybe they're more evolved than Canadians? They also allow assisted suicide.

[quote author=Tango2Bravo]I am all for the humane treatment of animals, but I do not want our standard of ethical/legal treatment of fellow humans to be guided by how we treat animals.[/quote]

In many ways we treat animals better than we treat each other. It's an effed up world and it will never align. Really it's all just a write-off.

Regarding "living wills". I can only comment to pre-hospital care in Ontario.
If the caregivers/family decide to call 9-1-1 at time of death, a “living will” is not acceptable for direction to not perform life-sustaining measures. They have to hand you a valid Ontario Do Not Resuscitate Confirmation Form. That is the only form that can be accepted for direction. It must be with the patient. It must have been issued in Ontario, not another province, state, country.

Since this thread is now a net full of red herrings and well and truly diverged from its origin thread, it has been moved to the appropriate pond.

Brasidas said:
And why not? There's a hell of a difference between involuntary euthanasia and a rational person choosing not to survive under certain conditions.

I agree that there is a difference between involuntary euthanasia and a rational person choosing not to survive under certain conditions, but it changes nothing in my argument. The ethical issue for me is not whether a person wants to end their life. My position is that other people should not ethically or legally be allowed to assist them regardless of how compassionate they believe they are being. I agree wholeheartedly that living wills should be honoured. Taking a brain-dead person off a ventilator is a difficult decision but it is not assisted suicide/euthanasia. Actively killing someone who would otherwise live, though, no matter how humane the means or how difficult the existence, is a different matter entirely.

Ballz,

I don't live in Switzerland. They can have their laws.

Tango2Bravo said:
Taking a brain-dead person off a ventilator is a difficult decision but it is not assisted suicide/euthanasia.

It's really not that different. If I were to turn a blind eye to a crime( a rape, a murder) let it happen, not call the police, not try to intervene or do anything to stop it from happening, would that not be the same as me condoning it?

To be assisted-suicide and letting somebody die are the same thing, so to me either they're both wrong, or neither is wrong.

Tango2Bravo said:
Actively killing someone who would otherwise live, though, no matter how humane the means or how difficult the existence, is a different matter entirely.

Assisted-suicide in Switzerland requires you to be diagnosed terminally ill (so no, you would not "otherwise live") by a doctor, amongst other things, and YOU have to drink the liquid from the cup. That is not actively killing somebody. The assistance is in supplying the liquid, and often times holding the cup for somebody that is unable to hold it themselves.

Tango2Bravo said:
no matter <cut> how difficult the existence

I don't live in Switzerland. They can have their laws.

Both these statements are very narrow-minded and egocentric. I'll bet the Taliban says that about Canadian laws too.

The way I see it, it's my life, and I have the right to live or die it as I see fit, and how I choose to do that is none of your business and yours is none of mine.

Tango2Bravo said:
I agree that there is a difference between involuntary euthanasia and a rational person choosing not to survive under certain conditions, but it changes nothing in my argument. The ethical issue for me is not whether a person wants to end their life. My position is that other people should not ethically or legally be allowed to assist them regardless of how compassionate they believe they are being.

If a person watches another person chain themselves to a bridge support at low tide, and stay there until they drown, they're involved in the other person's death. They're agreeing to let them make that choice.

Likewise, a person can stop drinking water, and if no one forces an IV into their arm, they'll eventually die.

A person can die a slow death by dehydration or lack of medication, but it's an ugly, unpleasant way to go. It wouldn't bother my sleep to help somebody die who had some solid reasons to, and I don't see a difference between failing to unextraordinarily intervene and making it easier on the guy.

The ethical difference I see between letting a guy kill himself by dehydration or lack of treatment and giving him a pill at his own request isn't one I see on the current law's side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back