• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Memorial Cross

geo

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
I wonder if the medal of sacrifice will extend to the families of those KIA? Perhaps something like that may be a very special posthumous recognition for the families? Just a thought.
Horseman, 
the families of the fallen are entitled to and receive up to 3 of what used to be the "Mother's" silver cross.  These medals are quite special and there is no reason to go any further.  HOWEVER, if we ever do go down the same route our American friends have gone (purple heart) then our fallen should be entitled to one of those as well.

Geo,

They're called Memorial Crosses now.

yeah... just won't do to have a Dad, a husband or a brother wearing a "mother's" cross

geo said:
yeah... just won't do to have a Dad, a husband or a brother wearing a "mother's" cross

Really?? When exactly was it called the "Mother's Cross" anyway -- I'm pretty sure it was previously known as the "Silver Cross" ... and the lady who layeth the wreath at the foot of the National War Memorial is herself referred to as the "Silver Cross Mother," but never has "mother" been an official part of the name of the Cross itself.

ArmyVern is correct.  It used to be called the Silver Cross.  It is now called the Memorial Cross.  In addition, it is mandatory for everyone in the military to designate recipients, as per a CANFORGEN that I cannot remember at this time.  If there is nobody listed or a form is not completed, then no Memorial Cross will be given.  Also, you do not have to be in theatre for your next of kin or whomever you list to receive the Memorial Cross.  Do a google search for the Memorial Cross and you will most likely come to the Governor General's website and you will receive the fine details.

It has always been the Memorial Cross (although more often referred to as the Silver Cross) and was first instituted by Order-in-Council 2374, dated December 1, 1919. It was awarded to mothers and widows (next of kin) of Canadian soldiers who died on active duty or whose death was consequently attributed to such duty.

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group09

For deaths that occur before 1 January 2007.
The Memorial Cross is granted to the mother (if living) and/or the widow (if legally married or common law) of a CF member that either:

- dies in a Special Duty Area (SDA);
- dies while proceeding to or returning from a SDA; or
- dies from causes directly attributable to service in a SDA.

might be so Vern.... but for the 1st 30 + years of service, I'VE always related their use & wear as being something "mother's" got  ... though plenty of wives have received em too.

I will shut up now  :-X

The National Silver Cross Mother is chosen annually by The Royal Canadian Legion to represent the mothers of Canada at the National Remembrance Day Ceremony in Ottawa on 11 November. As the Silver Cross Mother, she will lay a wreath at the base of the National War Memorial on behalf of all mothers who lost children in the military service of their nation. 
http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/books/silver

Frostnipped Elf,

I stand corrected in regards to the official name.  As your reference clearly states, it was more commonly referred to as the Silver Cross For Mothers.  However, the name Memorial Cross has always been the official name.  Memorial Cross is the name that is both officially and commonly used now.
The rules in force now, i.e. after December 31, 2006, are that up to three persons can be designated to receive the Memorial Cross.  I think the most important thing that everybody elect three persons.  The completion of the form is actually now part of the DAG process and I'm glad that it is.  Unfortunately, the use of the form has happened many too times since.
Make sure you complete one and tell your friends to ensure that theirs is.  Although this is now mandatory as per CANFORGENs, it never hurts to check.

You don't "have" to designate anyone.  It is your choice.  However, having said that there have already been cases where a soldier has died without designating a recipient and regardless of if this was done on purpose by the member, DND has gone to the government to get a special Order in Council so that the Memorial Crosses could be presented.

Note para 4 that states, "must designate".

CANFORGEN 182/06 CMP 090 051457Z DEC 06
MEMORIAL CROSS
UNCLASSIFIED
REF. A. PC 2006-1449 OF 30 NOV 06
B. PC 5812 OF 5 DEC 50 (CFAO 18-19)

1. REF A IS A NEW ORDER IN COUNCIL (OIC) GOVERNING THE GRANTING OF THE MEMORIAL CROSS. THE MEMORIAL CROSS WAS CREATED IN 1919 AND HAS BEEN GRANTED SINCE THEN AS A MEMENTO OF PERSONAL LOSS AND SACRIFICE ON THE PART OF THE MOTHERS AND WIDOWS OF MIL PERS KILLED IN OR ON THEIR WAY TO AND FROM A SPECIAL DUTY AREA (SDA), OR WHO DIED AS A CONSEQUENCE OF THEIR SVC IN AN SDA. THE LAST MAJOR REVIEW OF THE MEMORIAL CROSS WAS CONDUCTED IN 1950. SINCE THAT TIME, CDN SOCIETY HAS EVOLVED, THE MAKE-UP OF THE MODERN FAMILY HAS CHANGED AND SO HAS THE CF. THE NEW OIC UPDATES THE CRITERIA FOR THE GRANTING OF THE MEMORIAL CROSS

2. THE NEW OIC APPLIES TO ALL CF MBRS WHO SERVE IN THE REG F, PRIMARY RES, CIC OR CDN RANGERS AFTER 31 DEC 06. THE 1950 OIC AT REF B WILL NO LONGER APPLY TO THESE MBRS

3. BEGINNING 1 JAN 07, THE MEMORIAL CROSS WILL BE GRANTED UNDER THE NEW OIC AS A MEMENTO OF PERSONAL LOSS AND SACRIFICE IN RESPECT OF THE DEATH OF A MBR OR FORMER MBR RESULTING FROM AN INJURY OR DIESEASE RELATED TO MIL SVC, REGARDLESS OF LOCATION

4. THE MEMORIAL CROSS WILL BE GRANTED TO A MAXIMUM OF THREE INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE BEEN DESIGNATED BY THE MBR OR FORMER MBR. ALL CF MBRS AND FORMER MBRS TO WHOM THE NEW OIC APPLIES MUST DESIGNATE THEIR CHOSEN RECIPIENTS BY COMPLETING AND SIGNING THE FORM ENTITLED QUOTE DESIGNATION OF MEMORIAL CROSS RECIPIENTS UNQUOTE (DND 2105) AVAL AT HTTP://IMGAPP.MIL.CA/DFC2. RECIPIENTS DO NOT HAVE TO BE FAMILY MBRS, BUT MUST BE A LIVING INDIVIDUAL. UNITS ARE TO ENSURE ALL CURRENTLY SERVING CF MBRS COMPLETE THE FORM BEFORE 1 JAN 07. THE COMPLETED FORM IS TO BE PLACED ON THE MBR S PERS FILE. IF NO DESIGNATION IS MADE, NO MEMORIAL CROSS WILL BE ISSUED. MBRS AND FORMER MBRS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR UPDATING THESE FORMS AS THEIR CIRCUMSTANCES CHANGE

5. DND IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ISSUING THE MEMORIAL CROSS FOR CF MBRS, VETERAN'S AFFAIRS CANADA (VAC) IS RESPONSIBLE FOR FORMER MBRS. FOR CASES INVOLVING DEATH IN AN SDA OR A TRG ACCIDENT, WHEN THE CAUSE OF DEATH IS CLEARLY ATTRIBUTABLE TO MIL SVC, THE MEMORIAL CROSS WILL BE ISSUED IMMEDIATELY. IN ALL OTHER CASES, THE MEMORIAL CROSS WILL NOT BE ISSUED UNTIL IT IS DETERMINED THAT DEATH WAS ATTRIBUTABLE TO MIL SVC

6. BECAUSE IT IS POSSIBLE FOR A FORMER MBR S DEATH TO BE ATTIBUTED TO HIS OR HER MIL SVC, CF MBRS WHO RELEASE FROM THE REG F, PRIMARY RES, CIC OR CDN RANGERS, OR TRANSFER TO THE SUPP RES, AFTER 31 DEC 06 ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR KEEPING THEIR DESIGNATION FORM UPDATED. ADDITIONAL INFO IS AVAL FROM VETERANS AFFAIRS CANADA, HONOURS AND AWARDS SECTION, 66 SLATER STREET, OTTAWA, ON K1A OP4, PHONE AT 1-877-995-5003

7. THE DESIGN AND METHOD OF PRESENTATION OF THE MEMORIAL CROSS WILL NOT CHANGE

8. THE 1950 OIC WILL CONTINUE TO APPLY TO MBRS WHO DIE,RELEASE FROM THE CF OR TRANSFER TO SUPP RES ON OR BEFORE 31 DEC 06

Read para 4 of your post:

"IF NO DESIGNATION IS MADE, NO MEMORIAL CROSS WILL BE ISSUED."  as well, http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partII/2006/20061213/html/si141-e.html

Frostnipped Elf said:
Read para 4 of your post:

"IF NO DESIGNATION IS MADE, NO MEMORIAL CROSS WILL BE ISSUED."

In my current Unit, this form is reviewed annually as part of the DAG. Members MUST fill it out as per para 4, but do not have to list any recipients if they prefer not to designate anyone (and ergo -- no Cross would be issued) ... but the form (ie their particulars with a "no-designees") must be filled out and signed by them, and is retained on their file as per the directives.

ArmyVern said:
In my current Unit, this form is reviewed annually as part of the DAG. Members MUST fill it out as per para 4, but do not have to list any recipients if they prefer not to designate anyone (and ergo -- no Cross would be issued) ... but the form (ie their particulars with a "no-designees") must be filled out and signed by them, and is retained on their file as per the directives.
In 2 PPCLI we do the same and if the pers has no recipients then the OC interviews him to make sure they are 100% clear on what that means.

dangerboy said:
In 2 PPCLI we do the same and if the pers has no recipients then the OC interviews him to make sure they are 100% clear on what that means.

Seems the sensible thing to do.

CANFORGEN is therefore complied with. Member then has the choice to designate or not (but the form itself signifies that the MEMBER has been given opportunity to make that choice), and the member is fully aware of the reprecussions of a choice to "not designate".

Common sense.

At the time, the suggestion was that the 'Medal of Sacrifice' (I have to tell you that there was almost instant resistance to that name) would be in addition to the Silver Cross. Honor given to the fallen member (as opposed to his family) but posthumously to his/her family. Of course, all of that may have changed in a year.

If you really want a chuckle, I don't know what the current design of the combat badge you guys will wear on your uniform, but the original design on bronze, silver and gold were dragons facing inward, facing outward, etc. Quel horreur! I don't need to tell you how much resistance there was to the 'Dungeons and Dragons' proposal when it was floated over there! Hopefully they came up with something a bit more professional looking for you guys. The only thing I would say about the whole idea is it is nice to see the truckers and folks doing convoy work getting something - whenever I was going in one or watching from the safety of my workplace I couldn't help but admire them for the daily risks they took. There were guys who had been hit multiple times and had LAV's blown out from under them. Seems like the least anybody could do is recognize them for it.

Yet another perspective on the whole medals, badges thing - the nature of my work meant that I worked a lot with the Brits in both Kandahar and Helmand Province. Don't kid yourself about the Pommies (and the Aussies too) - they were always saying that, from their perspective, that the Canadians were "getting it right" on recognition and that the UK and Aussies could learn a thing or two from us as we were striking a balance between the Yanks and the Brits.

I remember when I was a young Militia soldier, at Nov 11 ceremonies, they still had Silver Cross Mothers laying wreaths at the Cross of Rememberance in Regina's Victoria Park. That was 1976. They were old and frail then, now a new generation of Moms has emerged from this new war.

Then, in the RRR, there were still serving WW2 and Korea Vets.

Peace is perishable, and each generation has to fight for it.

Regards,

Wes

Wesley  Down Under said:
I remember when I was a young Militia soldier, at Nov 11 ceremonies, they still had Silver Cross Mothers laying wreaths at the Cross of Rememberance in Regina's Victoria Park. That was 1976. They were old and frail then, now a new generation of Moms has emerged from this new war

And like you just said, we use to watch on T.V. and not really understand what it really meant. Hell, 5 yrs ago, I really didn't even know what it meant (Though I knew the Guys from 3 PPCLI).  But now that we have fought, and held our brothers/sisters as they have fallen.  Then to come home to see and meet their mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, etc.... Now brings a whole new meaning.  As I think, the true untold hero of any war, is the family left behind, fighting the biggest enemy!! The unknown.  Plus holding everything together "Keeping the home fires burning".

:salute:

dangerboy said:

Commander LFWA had all units in the Area do it.  I got the memo (and the tasking) for my company.

It's good to keep current on these things, especially when ex-wives or ex-girlfriends are still listed and the member is killed on operations, which can create an ugly scenario for the CF.

After filling out the designate form and leaving it blank I was called 3 times and "reminded" that I had no choice but to put 3 recipients on the sheet of paper.  I kept reminding (first the Cpl, then the MCpl then the WO) them that I do have choices. The Adm O then had me stood to in his office explaining the whole "we die for our family" crap.  I told him that I would prefer to be charged than be forced to put a name down.  The charges were actually researched... more to follow!!

In other words, it's my choice.  I fully understand the ramifications of my actions, but they are MY actions.

Nuff said.

Back