• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Memorial Cross

Thank you - apology accepted.

As I explained to Micheal, I guess sometimes passion in what I believe in does get the better of me - in prose only, I assure you. I have the utmost respect for the chain of command, supervisors and the CF. I command respect from those who serve under me and earn respect from those I serve.  But when I feel cornered - yes, the BB lawyer does come out.

One thing (and it would seem that we will have to agree to disagree here) is that while I agree with you on the fact that you or I don't have a RIGHT to disobey a direct order, we still have the choice not to. By making that choice, we are also choosing the consequences that come with it.  Years and years ago just outside of Eaganville to be exact, I was directly ordered to jump back into my ML and continue the road move - yeah, the CO knew I had been awake for roughly 4 days, but it was an order, right?  My point here is that if I blindly trusted every order without question, i'd still be driving MLVW's around Petawawa.

I very rarely question orders (never out loud) but when I do - you can bet there will be a very strong reason for it.

Thanks again for the apology and please accept mine (for posts I may have made prior to reading this last one... ::) ) You are right - I could have started the post off a bit better... I blame it on Uncle Larry...

Although everyone is in the process of making up, I would like to offer the following observations.  It is not my intent to fan the hot coals...

My experience is this: More than a few soldiers have opted after extensive discussions with their family not to designate anyone. This can result from their decision that a Memorial Cross will not in the least contribute to filling the void created in the event of their passing. In those cases the unit chain of command has discussed this with the soldier and has been supportive of their decision.  This is not a once in a lifetime offer and the form can be changed at any time.   

I perceive the proactive measures being implemented to prevent the admin burden created by a death to be concerning.  Perhaps the increasing death toll has created an unexpected flow of troubling decisions and reactions by the HQ staffs. Charging someone for not signing a document when ordered to do so is one thing.  Signing a document with the full understanding of its purpose and after choosing not to fill in some areas is another.

I find the heated discussion over the designation of Memorial Cross recipients on an anonymous forum to be alarming. Openly stating that he discussion of the troubled family's issue becoming the reason for policies and their hard-line enforcement is also disconcerting.  It reminds me of many other inflaming, prolonged ordeals (Anthrax, Saluting the Queen, removing headdress). The CF's first loyalty should be to the soldier, he is the one that volunteered to srve and die for his country, in many cases against their family's wishes.  This in itself is part of the reason for the family's difficult bereavement process.  Assuming a soldier cannot make an informed decision without the threat of discipline and to force him to change his decision with this threat is not in keeping with our ethos. If Canada was currenty conscripting soldiers and tearing soldier from their mother's arms, then our loyalties and priorities of effort might be different.

Yes, the deaths of our soldiers cause heartache for everyone and so they should.  We are learning a significant number of lessons as the death toll increases and similarly, we are making a number of observations for which we have not yet fully processed into lessons on which to base new policies.  IMHO, the chain of command's first reaction to every situation should not be look for NDA sections on which to discipline any perceived offenders, nor should a disagreement in on this site always result in a McDonald's application being offered to a soldier.

MHO

For the record though - I do think the idea of the Memorial Cross is an excellent one.  Our families are our backbone and in most cases our reason for doing what we do.  I just think that if I have the choice to enroll in the Dependants Dental Plan, then I should have a choice in the Memorial Cross.

You do my friend, you do.  It's just a matter of being clear on your choice.  Leaving that box blank just makes it all ambiguous & subject to questions.. the dreaded questions.

Thanks to a few of you during the past several posts, I have decided that I will take your advice and attempt to be perfectly clear.  Monday AM I will be pulling my "flagged" Memorial Cross form from my pers file, crossing out the "designate" blocks and attaching a brief but clear memo explaining my decision to do this.  It can't be any clearer than this.

Now, on to the issue of the flag...  ;)

Frostnipped Elf said:
Read para 4 of your post:

"IF NO DESIGNATION IS MADE, NO MEMORIAL CROSS WILL BE ISSUED."  as well, http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partII/2006/20061213/html/si141-e.html

My original post in regards to having to complete a Memorial Cross form is correct.  This is not an issue as it is clearly stated that all CF mbrs must complete one.  It is interesting to see how quickly people jumped the gun and said, "you don't have to designate anyone".  I reviewed my original post and it clearly does not say that some must be designated.  However, I admit that I became caught up in the subsequent posts and mistakenly followed it up with "must designate".  This I admit was not correct.

I respect someone's decision not to choose recepients.  That is a personal choice.  However, my only advice is to think about this carefully prior to crossing out the section.  Although admin actions can be taken and were in the past to make sure someone's family received the Memorial Crosses, once you are gone, your wishes are only reflected in the paperwork that you leave behind.  If after due consideration, you still wish to cross this section out, then please do so.

Before anyone cuts me down for "preaching", please consider that some of us, unfortunately, have first hand experience with the application of this form.

rifleman said:
I'd just put your OC's name down.

For some reason I thought that was the best post yet.... :blotto:

Back