• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Memorandum Handling Procedures

Good package for writing at this link:

http://kingston.mil.ca/cfsmi-ermfc/references/QL6A/CORE-CF%20Writing%20Manual.pdf

Ya sure I was looking for things like the time frame, roles and resposabilitys of the chain and the limitations of the chain in regards to a memo you submit.

Since a Memo is an informal writing format there are not standard timelines.  There are timelines for things like redress of grievance.

You have a legal obligation to listen to the CoC, they don't have the same legal requirement to listen to you whether your concern/request/suggestion is verbal or in writing. (Arguably they have a moral one though).  There are obvious exceptions such as redresses, requests for review of summary trial findings etc. where strict timelines must be adhered to but for all intents and purposes, other than those exceptions, if they don't agree or support your position they can toss your memo without any further comment or action.  It may be bad leadership but there is no formal direction preventing it.

Frostnipped Elf said:
Since a Memo is an informal writing format there are not standard timelines.  There are timelines for things like redress of grievance.

As stated; it is not a 'Memorandum' that has the timeline, but the document.  The 'Redress of Grievance', for instance, has timelines, and it is usually done up as a memorandum. 

I would like to know if a CWO can block a memo addressed to the CO for any reason. If not, is there written policies somewhere to redress this situation?

Thanks

That's a pretty open ended question.
Why do you ask, and what is the case?

Because my CWO is not agree with what I wrote in my request (a posting request where I formulated an opinion about changes happening in my unit to explain my reasons) and refuses to forward it up to my CO as written. He ordered me to look for guidance from my supervisor and/or the BSM to what to write on this posting request.

So I am looking if he has the authority to block a memo addressed to my CO.

Quickest solution (perhaps not the best):

Put in a redress with regards to the fact the CWO is blocking the memo.  Send it to the CO, I'm sure he'll want to see the documentation that the redress concerns.

Then again, your "opinion on the changes occuring" may be right the fuck out of 'er ... or you may not be fully aware of the "big" picture surrounding those changes (which isusually the case with the lower ranks) and your CWO may be trying to save your ass some embarassment and turmoil in the long run.

Note: Good luck on any Grieveance that youmay submit pertaining to your CWO refusing to submit your memo higher to the CO; by your own words, he has not ... he's "refusing to submit it as written" - there is a difference.

Without knowing your Unit, your CWO, the circumstances of the change occuring within it, or what exactly 'your opinion" and "of what  that opinion" is specificlly about ... no one here can properly assist you in taking a next step.

But, if I were you ... I'd give my memo a good re-read ... and try to figure out if my "opinion" is actually reflective of "the true big picture" (vice just personal disgruntledness) and also - why exactly - is the CWO advising you to seek out your supervisors to assist you ...

I've got enough experience to know ... if the CWOs telling you that -there's a good reason for it and I suspect it won't be him looking bad in the long run were your memo to go to the CO as it currently stands.

Just my opinion of course.

afpower said:
Because my CWO is not agree with what I wrote ...

So I am looking if he has the authority to block a memo addressed to my CO.

Probably, or he could minute it to the CO stating that you are a whiner, an administrative burden and he will not support your request.  But hey, go ahead, try and play hard ball with a chief.

Formulating opinions about your unit in a memo requesting a posting is a really really bad idea.  It is a good idea however to take the advise of your NCO's, BSM's, and CWO's when writing memos requesting postings.  I can only assume that it is your CWO that is the liaise between you and the career shop that will post you.

However, if you are not interested in taking the advise of your CWO and are interested in career suicide and lots of time on extra duties, write your memo with a action distribution list and mail slot it in the CO's mailbox.

In addition to the prior responses...

Just because you addressed it to the CO, doesn't mean that it will actually get to him/her. The CO has numerous staff who are vested with the authority to deal with issues at lower levels. I would submit that an NCM posting is well within the purview of the RSM to address without going to the CO.

Does anybody know what the turn around time on a memo is once submitted, and where this timeline would be mentioned..cfaos or DOADS maybe? 

The subject has also been covered here before and you can probably get your answer with a search.

Milnet.ca Staff

Back