• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Memorandum Handling Procedures

BinRat55

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Ok, specifically what i'm looking for is the reference that states the "14 day" rule - you should have an answer to a memo within 14 days. If someone could point me in a direction to look I would be ever so happy - keep in mind, i've been looking for the past two days and covered the usual suspects (QR&O / DAOD / CFAO) and even went into the Admin site, also with no luck. Search function on the DIN revealed lots of nothing (using many, many different phrase and word combinations) as did the search function here.

Maybe this is not the case anymore?

Umm... why would there be ANY max number of days rule on any form of document?  It'll take the time it takes.

That having been said, certain issues have mandated time lines that need to be followed......
eg:  number of days (from date of an event) to file a grievance
number of days for CO to acknowledge receipt & find AI..... etc, etc , etc.....

It's not WRT the document but rather with what you are asking about.... IMHO

Thanks GEO, your probably right. I did think of that - I understand there are certain timelines WRT grievances and harassment issues, but for some reason I can't get past the feeling that I was either told or read somewhere that there was a 14 day response time on a memo in general. Maybe i'm just confusing the issue!!

That being said, I had to ask 'cause i'm like a dog with a bone - i'm never satisfied until i've covered everything (School of Vern!!)

Thanks for the reply.

Any number of headquarters have included in their SOPs a statement to the effect that unless correspondence can be actioned within a certain number of days, an interim reply will be sent informing the originator of the delay along with the reasons for it. I am not 100% sure that there was a paragraph to that effect in the old Canadian army military writing pamhlet, but the policy originated somewhere.

That isn't quite what you asked for, but it may help.

BinRat55 said:
Thanks GEO, your probably right. I did think of that - I understand there are certain timelines WRT grievances and harassment issues, but for some reason I can't get past the feeling that I was either told or read somewhere that there was a 14 day response time on a memo in general. Maybe i'm just confusing the issue!!

That being said, I had to ask 'cause i'm like a dog with a bone - i'm never satisfied until i've covered everything (School of Vern!!)

Thanks for the reply.

Your 14 days is coming from this location here. That was this location's SOP. And, as Old Sweat detailed out - the policy was/is: that if an answer could not be given within that 10 working days (ie 14 day/2week time period), that the originator would, at the very least, be provided with a sitrep on status so that they were aware it was, again - at the very least, being actioned.

This sitrep could have been as simple as an email which stated "I can't provide an answer to your memo yet as I am awaiting clarification of policy XXX from NDHQ."

Vern

(Oh, and your supervisor would also have been telling you that "i", when used in words like "I'm" and "I've" - is capitalized.  ;)

Are you thinking of "Memorandum" or the old forms we used to have, press hard four copies, "Roundtrip Memos"?

See? Ask and you shall receive!! Thanks guys.

George - I think the roundtrip memo (haven't seen those thing in a LONG time...) is what I may have been thinking. Add that to Vern's observation (which was the case for me for 7 years in G'town) is more than likely why i've been confusing this dang reference thing. I will put it to rest now and just do some investigation over at HQ as to why it's been 2 months without a reply.

Vern - It's an idiosyncrasy of mine. Even though I am quite comfortable with my command of the English language, I ALWAYS use spell check. It always picks up my "i'm's and i'll's" but I kinda like them the way they are!! In any military correspondence this habit is checked at the door though... I mean "Thanks for correcting my slack and idle body Sergeant Major!!"  ;D

Binrat... guess you can start your new memo with the tried but tested

"Oh dear, what can the matter be......"  ;D

Sounded too passive for me - you know, i'm not on blood pressure medication for my health...no wait - I am!!

Actually it's 150mg (I was really loved over at HQ...) But i'm much calmer now. I haven't had to stand in front of the Chief in weeks!!

BinRat55 said:
... I haven't had to stand in front of the Chief in weeks!!

Perhaps you learned too much from me?? I was there just this morning.  ;D

Heh....
Wonder what kind of dosage the Chief takes ???

geo said:
Heh....
Wonder what kind of dosage the Chief takes ???

Not enough after this morning -- that I can assure you.  >:D

Ahhh ... gotta love Freedom of the City parades.  :D

Ooooh... freedom of the city?

Who is getting it? and by which city???

5 CMBG was given the Freedom of the City of Quebec city @ the beginning of July.

geo said:
Ooooh... freedom of the city?

Who is getting it? and by which city???

5 CMBG was given the Freedom of the City of Quebec city @ the beginning of July.

Gagetown, by Fredericton.

Watch for me on the news in my best bib and tucker (chaps aren't allowed unfortunately) ... yelling.

heh...Gagetown ? 
Sooo... sorta like 3 CMBG but without the Bde ??? (cause there isn't any 3CMBG)

If I see you on the tube, I'll just imagine you in the chaps ;D

I am looking for the DND publication that states the administrative orders in regards to when a memo is recived and actioned.

I have looked in the CFTO the QR&Os and anything else I can find on the DIN with no luck, I am proable missing it but any help would be greatly apprecieted.

Do you mean what's supposed to happen when you submit a memo to your chain of command?  I would try taking a peek at APM-245, I can't remember what the common name for the pub is.

Can you clarify your question a little?

Back