• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Members' Marital Status

What is the percentages for each status?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The wife used to be a long time reservist and has since retired in order to  be a full time mother to our 2 sons.Having a wife,who understands most of the commitments we have to make(work over family sometimes),long exercises and or deployments,and the eventual snap decisions we all have to make(Hey Hon,they put me on course starting tomorrow,gonna drive me to the airport?)really helps avoid alot of the disputes than can occur.
That,and the wife is brutally honest about my uniform and kit.Better than most CSM's I've run into!
CDNArtyWife:You would definitely get along with my wife,she's not the "stitch and *****" type either!

I guess I would put myself in category 3. This is my first "military" relationship and it has been long distance as well. But six years later we are still together and see each other as often as possible but communicate daily. No matter what the relationship; if there is no communication and understanding there is little. And yes, I try to know as much as I can about what he does and what it means for him to serve his country. Just as well he trys to understand what my career is all about. As some of you most eloquently said (better than I could ever), it works both ways.

:)

Horray for a first post. ;)

I suppose I fit into "other" and category 3, as I'm not married or single, but have a boyfriend involved in the military. My boyfriend is currently in the The Princess Louise Fusiliers reserve infantry, but is wanting to join the Air Force. He's in the beginning stages of it as of now, and hopefully he'll get in without a hitch. He's been in the reserves for a little over four years now, and we've been dating for around seven months.

This is my first military relationship, and first relationship at all actually. Heh. I've always had great respect and admiration for people in the Armed Forces, and to be in a relationship with a person who has a great sense of duty and loves his country makes me feel great. I fully support him in everything that he wants to do with his life, even if I might not like it. He knows my feelings on some of the things that he may be doing in the near future, but I don't let those things stop him from doing what he loves.

I love my Military Boyfriend, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

I totally agree about the 3 different types of spouses. I have been around the military either a military member or a military spouce for the last 20 yrs and have seen alot of marriage fall. Either the soliders wife or gf have been yanked from their peacefull life after the member has completed all his training and plunked in some godforsaken place and they poof the soldier is gone on excercise or tour. And it is  up to her to figure it all out the military lingo the military way. To anyone new in the military with a wife or gf just give her alot of info into what u both are getting into cause it takes 2 to make or break a marriage. AND IT CAN BE DONE TRUST ME. Have seen the good side and bad side and its like a posting its what u make of it. I pride myself as a good military spouse and mom. Spent alot of time alone and now I have rejoined and the hubby is finally finding out what its like to be the Mom and Dad, cook and chef bottle washer... But he has the advantage the kids are now 16 and 14 But the military life is the greatest and it takes special kinds of ppl to make it all work in a relationship and the best advide to give anyone is alot of COMMUNICATION..Yes long times alone either for the hubby or the wife but if love is strong no length of time will make the heart wander....Good luck to all and this Soldier and this Soldierspouse is celebrating 12 yrs together on Sunday and its been a rough road but worth it all...... :salute: :cdn:

This is a great topic. I've seen a lot of relationships that have gone south in this outfit but I think there are a lot of good ones too. I don't think we differ from the civie stats much to tell you the truth.

My wife and I are going on 24 years this summer. Like everyone else it's had it's ups and downs. Now that the kids are pretty much grown...and hopefully just about gone ha ha. We are looking forward to doing more stuff with each other.
She is a professional in her own right...an Operating Room Nurse...(former CF nurse) and that helps a lot with our postings. She knows how to talk the talk too...certainly more than I do about her work.
She too avoids the stitch and bitch crowd, rides a motorcycle and will definitely make a sailor blush from time to time with her salty language. She's a Newf so that helps too.....very loyal and family oriented folks generally I've found.
She certainly has a lot of patience with this badly flawed man! She's an angel and a saint.
In case you haven't guessed by the above...I love this woman to pieces!!!
CFs been good to us and good for us..... :salute:

IN HOC SIGNO said:
I don't think we differ from the civie stats much to tell you the truth.

Yup, I definitely agree.  I started this topic thinking I would get a couple of responses, but the number of responses and the stories are fascinating.  The stats have straightened me out as I was expecting results quite different.  I would like to thank every one of you for sharing your circumstances and your stories.  A couple of those stories are right out there but were still neat and/or funny to read.

Again, thank you all for the responses and I know I will be quoting those poll numbers for a long time.  Sure, the total number may be small considering the number of members in the Forces and the number of spouses that stand behind/beside them, but it is a good snapshot, I'm sure.

As for all the people that are, for one reason or another, unattached, perhaps there's hope for all.  ;)

Cheers and God Bless ya all.  :)

GO!!! said:
I find that the CF breaks weak relationships sooner than other jobs

Exactly my sentiments.  Nothing like a career in the military to show you that you're living in la-la land and really aren't as compatible as you thought  ;)

shadow said:
Exactly my sentiments.  Nothing like a career in the military to show you that you're living in la-la land and really aren't as compatible as you thought  ;)

Better yet, go camping with your intended; if you both survive, you've got a shot at making it work.

Myself, I am in category 3 (I believe). I never grew up in a military family myself but I wasnt completely "blind" to it either, as my Uncle was in the CF and I spent a lot of time with them. I am in the process of joining the CF myself. (Heading into the reserves). My husband has been in the CF for 4 years now and we have been married 6 months. We have 2 beautiful children and a couple of furry critters to keep me busy when hes gone LOL

S.Bradbury
    :cdn:

PS - Id like to say it was the uniform, however, I met him while he was on Holidays and I didnt see him in uniform until many days later....although thats just an added bonus    ;)

Back