• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Member of Canadian Forces Arrested in incident at Rideau Hall

It's not unheard of for a member convicted of a serious offence to serve the first two years at Club Ed and then get punted to civilian prison for the rest of their sentence.

Maybe years ago but as per the notes to QR&O 104.04, there is now a different approach.

104.04 – IMPRISONMENT FOR SHORTER TERM
Section 140 of the National Defence Act provides:

“140. Every person who, on conviction of a service offence, is liable to imprisonment for life, other than as a minimum punishment, or for a term of years or other term may be sentenced to imprisonment for a shorter term.”

(C) [1 September 1999]

NOTES
(A) Although specialized treatment and counselling programmes to deal with drug and alcohol dependencies and similar health problems will be made available to a person serving a term of imprisonment, a member serving a sentence that includes imprisonment will in most cases be considered unfit for further military service. As a result, service prisoners and service convicts will ordinarily not be subjected to the same regime of training that service detainees undergo. In certain cases, exceptions may be made for service prisoners serving a short term of imprisonment provided that it has either been decided to retain the member or no decision to release the member has been made but the circumstances suggest that retention in the Canadian Forces is likely. A punishment of imprisonment will be considered to be of short duration where the term does not exceed 90 days.

(B) Service prisoners and service convicts typically require an intensive programme of retraining and rehabilitation to equip them for their return to society following completion of the term of incarceration. Civilian prisons and penitentiaries are uniquely equipped to provide such opportunities to inmates. Therefore, to facilitate their reintegration into society, service prisoners and service convicts who are to be released from the Canadian Forces will typically be transferred to a civilian prison or penitentiary as soon as practical within the first 30 days following the date of sentencing. The member will ordinarily be released from the Canadian Forces before such a transfer is effected.

(C) Refer to section 204 of the National Defence Act (see article 104.18Computation of Term of Incarceration) for the computation of the term of a punishment of imprisonment.

(C) [23 April 2001; 1 September 2018 – Note (C)]

It is a moot point anyway, as the numpty sentenced for the incident at Rideau Hall is neither a service prisoner or service convict (s. prisoner is 2 years less a day, s. convict is 2 years or more); i.e. he was not sentenced by a service tribunal. He doesn't pass GO, doesn't collect $200, and goes directly to a civilian jail.

And here's why institutions get accused of looking (selectively?) vindictive ...
The National Capital Commission is suing Corey Hurren for thousands of dollars to cover the cost of repairing the gate he damaged when he stormed the grounds of Rideau Hall in the summer of 2020.

According to a statement of claim filed in Ontario Superior Court last week, the NCC — the custodian of official residences in Ottawa — is seeking $350,000 to repair the gate and repair the surrounding property, plus $100,000 in punitive and exemplary damages.

News of the court action was first reported by Frank Magazine ...

Glad to hear he's getting on with his life...

Reservist who rammed Rideau Hall with truck to ‘arrest’ Trudeau released on day parole​

The Parole Board said Correy Hurren was 'sorry for the damage' he caused.

A former Canadian army reservist has been granted day parole just over two years after he crashed his truck through the gates of Rideau Hall to confront Prime Minister Justin Trudeau with firearms.
70c8fc80

According to records released to Global News on Tuesday, the Parole Board of Canada has agreed to release Corey Hurren to a half-way house in an unnamed city and also allowed him “leave privileges.”

The 48-year-old former Canadian Ranger was ordered to get a job, undergo counselling and take his prescribed medication. Day parole was granted for six months. His application for full parole was denied.

“It is the Board’s opinion that you will not present an undue risk to society if released on day parole and that your release will contribute to the protection of society by facilitating your reintegration as a law-abiding citizen,” the board wrote in its Nov. 16 ruling.

Reservist who rammed Rideau Hall with truck to ‘arrest’ Trudeau released on day parole​

A former Canadian army reservist has been granted day parole just over two years after he crashed his truck through the gates of Rideau Hall to confront Prime Minister Justin Trudeau with firearms.
70c8fc80

According to records released to Global News on Tuesday, the Parole Board of Canada has agreed to release Corey Hurren to a half-way house in an unnamed city and also allowed him “leave privileges.”

The 48-year-old former Canadian Ranger was ordered to get a job, undergo counselling and take his prescribed medication. Day parole was granted for six months. His application for full parole was denied.

“It is the Board’s opinion that you will not present an undue risk to society if released on day parole and that your release will contribute to the protection of society by facilitating your reintegration as a law-abiding citizen,” the board wrote in its Nov. 16 ruling.

Fair enough. Any personal feelings I may have notwithstanding, that is, after all, the point of a rehabilitative justice system. It doesn’t seem super likely that this dude will repeat.

Fair enough. Any personal feelings I may have notwithstanding, that is, after all, the point of a rehabilitative justice system. It doesn’t seem super likely that this dude will repeat.
Given the NCC launched a suit against him for punitive damages / he may have a new target…

Given the NCC launched a suit against him for punitive damages / he may have a new target…
Shrug it’s a big and expensive gate. Criminals should be sued to recoup tangible damages more frequently. When he chose the behaviour he chose the consequences. He’s already cost the taxpayer a great deal.

I’m reassured to see that he’s on conditions to maintain certain treatment and medication. Hopefully the behavioural aspects of his discontent can be kept within what’s reasonable if there’s an underlying medical issue getting appropriate attention.

Shrug it’s a big and expensive gate. Criminals should be sued to recoup tangible damages more frequently. When he chose the behaviour he chose the consequences. He’s already cost the taxpayer a great deal.

We should put repeat offenders with nothing in workhouses to work off the cost to the victims and the Crown...

I’m assuming you’re being facetious.
Not at all, if suing people who break the law and have assets to be seized to cover costs is how things should go, then making those with nothing to take work-off the expenses is just as reasonable.

How very Victorian.
The point I was working toward, but will jump to now is simply this; The current system already punishes those with something to lose far more than those who have nothing to lose. Making the system even more punishing for those with something to lose hits the lower classes harder than the upper classes, since losing your only home is going be harder to take than losing your cottage/second home. All it will do is help drive more people farther down the social ladder, while having no real impact on the worst repeat offenders.

I'm not actually in favour of workhouses, I'm more against making the system even more punishing for those who slip across the line once. The loss of work/social standing due to a criminal record is already a massive thing, taking away all or a large portion of what someone has earned just adds more misery for little gain.

Edit: All the above said, there is no reason a modern workhouse needs to be like Victorian ones, prisons aren't like Victorian ones.

Not at all, if suing people who break the law and have assets to be seized to cover costs is how things should go, then making those with nothing to take work-off the expenses is just as reasonable.
Can’t agree. America has a prison industrial complex and it’s exploitative and gross. I don’t trust our system to be able to effectively or ethically manage such a thing. It would get privatized and would be a total shit show that would shame us, and would bring the rest of the justice system into disrepute.

I draw a distinction between using lawful processes to adjudicate and compensate for damages out of what people already have or can voluntarily earn, and forcing them to work something off as part of a penal system. The latter is too close to slavery for my liking.

Can’t agree. America has a prison industrial complex and it’s exploitative and gross. I don’t trust our system to be able to effectively or ethically manage such a thing. It would get privatized and would be a total shit show that would shame us, and would bring the rest of the justice system into disrepute.

I believe the technical term is being “407’d”… 😉

Do you think government employees whose behavior results in successful lawsuits against the crown/city should be on the hook to recoup costs as well?

The problem isn't that the system is disparate for people with and without assets; the problem is that the system is disparate for victims.

Solve the problem with publicly-funded compensation (crime insurance, the same way we have health insurance). Be interesting to see who objects to that. Would also give governments a direct incentive to hold that cost down. One way is obviously to go after criminals with money. Another is to reduce crime.

Do you think government employees whose behavior results in successful lawsuits against the crown/city should be on the hook to recoup costs as well?
Depends on whether they were acting in good faith in the course of their duties or not. Innocent error in good faith? No. Malice or negligence? Sure. And policy on Legal Assistance at Public Expense already largely reflects that.

Depends on whether they were acting in good faith in the course of their duties or not. Innocent error in good faith? No. Malice or negligence? Sure. And policy on Legal Assistance at Public Expense already largely reflects that.
Agreed about the malice or negligence. Legal assistance doesn't mean officers have to pay towards settlements though?

I can't imagine Const. Lacey Browning is having her wages garnished to pay taxpayers back for Mona Wang's settlement.

As far as the CAF goes think about all the hush-hush settlements VAC pays out to victims or how much money is spent on medical releases for victims of sexual assault, harassment, et el.
Warrant Officer "But I'm a harassment advisor lol" should definitely be on the hook IMO.

70c8fc80

Hey everyone, look!! A gun toting nutbar story, and just in the nick of time too! How typical topical.

Agreed about the malice or negligence. Legal assistance doesn't mean officers have to pay towards settlements though?

I can't imagine Const. Lacey Browning is having her wages garnished to pay taxpayers back for Mona Wang's settlement.

As far as the CAF goes think about all the hush-hush settlements VAC pays out to victims or how much money is spent on medical releases for victims of sexual assault, harassment, et el.
Warrant Officer "But I'm a harassment advisor lol" should definitely be on the hook IMO.
Dunno about that specific case. What I’ve seen - and experienced firsthand - is that a civil suit might name both a police officer individually, and their police service as a distinct defendant. Depending on policy, provincial law and regulation, and collective agreement, the police service (and/or provincial/federal government) may assume the legal defence through government counsel, and indemnify the officer; or the officer may be completely on their own and hope their union covers them. If the individual officer’s interests are aligned with the police service, likely the police service/jurisdictional government will cover it. If the officer was clearly outside the scope of their duties/good faith, maybe not so much.

Minor update, Hurren just lost an appeal of his sentence. The Court of Appeal of Ontario rejected his argument that the trial judge erred regarding lack of remorse and mental health factors.

I remember reading he's gotten day parole, I'm not sure if he's out on full parole yet.

Back