• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Media Bias [Merged]

Back to media bias, or, in this case lack of it ...

This is a story, "The Liberals have block-booked a swish New Brunswick resort hotel for a cabinet retreat and dispatched reporters to two other places in town so Justin Trudeau and his ministers can meet and mingle in private," that I would expect the Sun or Rebel Media to pick-up, but the first mention I saw of it was from, of all places, the Toronto Star.

I think Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is getting a bit of "free ride" right now ... including from me because I think he and his government deserve the benefit of the doubt for a while, at least, while they stumble into the realities of governing 21st century Canada.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

(I am reasonably confident that the Liberals are leopards and cannot change their spots and this ...

libranos1.jpg

The famous Western Standard spoof from the Chrétien-Martin era

... will morph into this:

modern-librano.jpg

... and I am reasonably confident that the media, including the Star, will be all over them.)

I also think, as the Brian Gable comment from the Globe and Mail suggests, that the "honeymoon, is almost over ...

webthuedcar14co1.jpg

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/editorial-cartoons-for-january-2016/article27950170/

... for whatever reasons.

Seems that there are cracks in the dam that Canadian media networks hold with their passage of information to the Public.

https://bcblue.wordpress.com/2016/07/16/trudeau-booed-at-calgary-stampede-media-party-says-attendees-adored-him/

Trudeau booed at Calgary Stampede, Media Party says attendees adored him
July 16, 2016 — BC Blue

In yet another example how the Media Party protect Liberal PM Justin Trudeau by hiding or omitting anything negative that makes him look bad came from his visit yesterday to the Calgary Stampede where he was booed:

odland-trudeau-booed-stampede.jpg

Kristen Odland is a reporter for the Calgary Herald so this is obviously a credible source which if the media in Canada was ethical and unbiased would have produced front page headlines and lead stories on the national news.

Instead, the only response was to condemn those who booed Trudeau:

yedlin-trudeau-booed-stampede.jpg

I asked Yedlin, who is a columnist for the Herald, why she was so upset about Trudeau getting booed as politicians get booed all the time yet she refuses to respond.

So here we have multiple reports of Trudeau being booed but you’d be forgiven for not knowing about it as the only story mentioning it was this by the Herald’s Emma McIntosh:

Though many in the audience were excited to Trudeau, the response wasn’t all enthusiastic. Boos could be heard from the other side of the stadium…

By the way, that was buried 8 paragraphs down.

And what was the headline that they ran you ask?

Trudeau delights Stampede-goers with rodeo visit (see here)

Tell me if Stephen Harper had been booed somewhere it wouldn’t have been a massive story with screaming front-page headlines.

And keep telling me there is no such thing as a Media Party while you’re at it.

More on LINK.

I certainly agree with you that there is a "media Party" that is not doing its job correctly right now (and a particular annoyance of mine is how, every time he presents a positive story on Trudeau, Peter Mansbridge has a gleeful look that makes it seem he has a hard-on).

However, this being said, the attendance of the PM, any PM, at the Calgary Stampede, regardless of the reception he gets (unless it causes a riot  :)) is never front page news to me. It is a minor, purely political act that is almost a compulsory attendance ( in French we say "passage obligé") for any PM to the point that it means nothing, other than being seen - hopefully in a positive light - in one of Canada's major city. Fourth or fifth page is appropriate - but you still have to be honest when reporting the reception he got.

More important to me, as a Canadian, was how friggin annoying it looked when he commented, for the press, on the Nice killings, and later on little Taliyah Marsman's murder: These are somber occasions: Take the damn cowboy hat off you jerk. At the very least, uncovered head was called for. Personally, I would also have asked for a jacket to put over the cowboy shirt for the duration of the meeting with the press. You have to do something to make it look that this is a somber occasion, not merely a quick step outside the merriment of the Stampede that you sort of improvised. Imagine you are the president of France and watching this on your TV and it is presented to you as Canada's answer to the Nice events:"Hey, were standing with you France - now can I go back to the party?"

Sorry, them's my beefs for the week end. /RANT OFF

We can complain all we want, but unless positive incentives to behave this way are eliminated, the Legacy media will never change. Of course change is coming, just not the way either the Legacy media or most of us hope for: citizen journalists and Internet enabled podcasts, blogs and SM posts will be the primary source of information for more and more people (even if fewer and fewer individuals are actual "subscribers" to any individual outlet). Instead of the media promoting a monolithic "narrative" which picks and chooses what to cover and what to ignore, we will be assembling our information from a mosaic of pieces (and with each outlet will be trying to promote a narrative of its own).

Smart information consumers will browse a multitude of different sources to get different takes on stories, so, yes, there will still be a tinly place for the Legacy media as one piece of the puzzle, just not the dominant piece.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
More important to me, as a Canadian, was how friggin annoying it looked when he commented, for the press, on the Nice killings, and later on little Taliyah Marsman's murder: These are somber occasions: Take the damn cowboy hat off you jerk. At the very least, uncovered head was called for. Personally, I would also have asked for a jacket to put over the cowboy shirt for the duration of the meeting with the press. You have to do something to make it look that this is a somber occasion, not merely a quick step outside the merriment of the Stampede that you sort of improvised. Imagine you are the president of France and watching this on your TV and it is presented to you as Canada's answer to the Nice events:"Hey, were standing with you France - now can I go back to the party?"

Indeed.  Look at Putin's handling of the Nice murders as what a statesman should be acting like.  He no doubt, has a team of very polished professionals to guide him in his public appearances.

https://www.facebook.com/SputnikNews/videos/10154215566841181/

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I certainly agree with you that there is a "media Party" that is not doing its job correctly right now (and a particular annoyance of mine is how, every time he presents a positive story on Trudeau, Peter Mansbridge has a gleeful look that makes it seem he has a hard-on).

However, this being said, the attendance of the PM, any PM, at the Calgary Stampede, regardless of the reception he gets (unless it causes a riot  :)) is never front page news to me. It is a minor, purely political act that is almost a compulsory attendance ( in French we say "passage obligé") for any PM to the point that it means nothing, other than being seen - hopefully in a positive light - in one of Canada's major city. Fourth or fifth page is appropriate - but you still have to be honest when reporting the reception he got.

As a Calgarian and westerner I would venture to say that keeping your cowboy hat on while making comments to the media is indeed proper etiquette.

Inappropriate just may be comments from a person that I do believe has served our nation for many years such as: 'Take the damn cowboy hat off you jerk'.  These are not the types of comments I would advise my young soldiers and/or students to use.  Have a great day.

RR out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RocketRichard said:
As a Calgarian and westerner I would venture to say that keeping your cowboy hat on while making comments to the media is indeed proper etiquette.

Only if you're a "dude" in town as a visitor for Stampede Week or from Claresholm...

jollyjacktar said:
Only if you're a "dude" in town as a visitor for Stampede Week or from Claresholm...

Usually a "dude" from outside the region is considered a "dud".

From where arises the notion that men who wear particular hats don't know when to remove them as a gesture of respect?  Ever watch any old movies?  The problem isn't confined to "cowboys"; it's a generational shortcoming, not an occupational shortcoming.

The Cbc seems to be in full support mode for Hilary Clinton much like they are for Justin Trudeau. Interesting.

Jed said:
The Cbc seems to be in full support mode for Hilary Clinton much like they are for Justin Trudeau. Interesting.

Their left wing bias knows no borders.  Bunch of thuds......

Brad Sallows said:
From where arises the notion that men who wear particular hats don't know when to remove them as a gesture of respect?  Ever watch any old movies?  The problem isn't confined to "cowboys"; it's a generational shortcoming, not an occupational shortcoming.

Chuck-Norris-Thumbs-Up-Meme-08.jpg

Brad Sallows said:

"It's values today. Standards are crumbling."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqp1bGuiHHs

On bias - from Politico.  A not notoriously conservative site.

....Parts of the media have always had their own bubbles. The national magazine industry has been concentrated in New York for generations, and the copy produced reflects an Eastern sensibility. Radio and TV networks based in New York and Los Angeles likewise have shared that dominant sensibility. But they were more than balanced out by the number of newspaper jobs in big cities, midsized cities and smaller towns throughout the country, spreading journalists everywhere.

No longer. The newspaper industry has jettisoned hundreds of thousands of jobs, due to falling advertising revenues. Dailies have shrunk sections, pages and features; some have retreated from daily publication; hundreds have closed. Daily and weekly newspaper publishers employed about 455,000 reporters, clerks, salespeople, designers and the like in 1990, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. By January 2017, that workforce had more than halved to 173,900. Those losses were felt in almost every region of the country.

As newspapers have dwindled, internet publishers have added employees at a bracing clip. According to BLS data, a startling boom in “internet publishing and broadcasting” jobs has taken place. Since January 2008, internet publishing has grown from 77,900 jobs to 206,700 in January 2017. In late 2015, during Barack Obama’s second term, these two trend lines—jobs in newspapers, and jobs in internet publishing—finally crossed. For the first time, the number of workers in internet publishing exceeded the number of their newspaper brethren. Internet publishers are now adding workers at nearly twice the rate newspaper publishers are losing them.

This isn’t just a shift in medium. It’s also a shift in sociopolitics, and a radical one. Where newspaper jobs are spread nationwide, internet jobs are not: Today, 73 percent of all internet publishing jobs are concentrated in either the Boston-New York-Washington-Richmond corridor or the West Coast crescent that runs from Seattle to San Diego and on to Phoenix. The Chicagoland area, a traditional media center, captures 5 percent of the jobs, with a paltry 22 percent going to the rest of the country. And almost all the real growth of internet publishing is happening outside the heartland, in just a few urban counties, all places that voted for Clinton. So when your conservative friends use “media” as a synonym for “coastal” and “liberal,” they’re not far off the mark....

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/04/25/media-bubble-real-journalism-jobs-east-coast-215048

Add in the tendency of "birds of a feather flocking together",  people voting with their feet to move to environments where they can feel comfortable, and you exacerbate the issue.  All the folks that feel isolated in small towns, lets just call them non-conformists, migrate to places where they find like minded individuals.  All the folks that feel out of place in large cities, lets just call them non-conformists, migrate to places where they find like minded individuals.  Blue becomes bluer and Red becomes redder - in the US, Canada, Britain or France.

Edit: Sorry for the poor graphics transfer.  See the article.

So the two most liberal centres of influence are controlling most of the served internet news content.  That is an interesting stat. 

From the CBC (Ottawa), reporting the numbers from the Gatineau flood. Using the SS soldier outline to represent CF soldiers:
UPWRwgX.png

Archived graphic here:
scr.png

This has since been reported to them and they fixed it.

Still, I am livid.

NinerSix said:
From the CBC (Ottawa), reporting the numbers from the Gatineau flood. Using the SS soldier outline to represent CF soldiers:
UPWRwgX.png

Archived graphic here:
scr.png

This has since been reported to them and they fixed it.

Still, I am livid.

That just encompasses so many levels of stupidity!

I don't know, that sounds like how the CBC view the CF to me.

Back