• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medcat and Promotion Thread- Merged

davidk

Inactive
Reaction score
I was recently diagnosed with a chronic GI disease, and was placed on TCAT while awaiting a decision from Ottawa as to whether I get medically released or not. However, I'm overdue for promotion. My BOR won't start paperwork until the doctor says that I can be promoted, but the one I spoke to in St Jean was a civilian and couldn't give me an answer.

Long story short, can I be promoted while on TCAT?

Pte D. Krystal said:
I was recently diagnosed with a chronic GI disease, and was placed on TCAT while awaiting a decision from Ottawa as to whether I get medically released or not. However, I'm overdue for promotion. My BOR won't start paperwork until the doctor says that I can be promoted, but the one I spoke to in St Jean was a civilian and couldn't give me an answer.

Long story short, can I be promoted while on TCAT?

CFAO 49-4

LOWERED MEDICAL CATEGORIES
19.    When a member of the rank of Cpl or above who is eligible for
promotion is assigned a temporary medical category that is lower than the
minimum required for the member's MOC, promotion shall be deferred.
Reinstatement of the member by NDHQ/DPCAOR (Director Personnel Career
Administration Other Ranks) shall occur only when a permanent category at
or above the minimum MOC requirement is approved by NDHQ/DMTS, (Director
Medical Treatment Services) or on declaration of a Career Medical Review
Board (CMRB) finding of retention without restriction. In either case, the
member must meet all other promotion prerequisites and the promotion shall
not be antedated more than 12 months. The member shall be advised of the
CO's action and the NDHQ decision.

20.    Superseded by ADM(HR-Mil) Instruction 05/05

21.    A Pte who has a temporary medical category that is below the MOC
requirement may be promoted to Cpl provided all other prerequisites have
been met
. In the case of a Pte who has a permanent medical category that
precludes unrestricted employment, the member may, subject to NDHQ/DPCAOR
approval, be promoted to Cpl providing all other promotion prerequisites
have been met.

From the sounds of your post though, a recommendation has been made to have you placed on PCat vice TCat. In that case, the second half of para 21 is applicable.

Thanks, Vern, this is exactly what I needed. Promotion back on track.

Pte D. Krystal said:
Thanks, Vern, this is exactly what I needed. Promotion back on track.

Maybe not.

Did you see my note underneath??

From the sounds of your post though, a recommendation has been made to have you placed on PCat vice TCat. In that case, the second half of para 21 is applicable.

The authority to give you your Cpls rest with your Commanding Officer. If the med world has recommended that you be placed on PCat (I suspect they have due to the words you were given about awaiting the med worlds response), then he is well within his bounds to withhold any decision until your med status is determined by Ottawa.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH reading too fast again. We'll see. I'll be going in today to see what can or can't be done. Thanks anyway, at least I know where I stand now.

Ok folks long time guest reader but first time member poster here.

I have a question/issue that i would like as much input (ammo) as possible

Here it is

I have been in the navy for more than 4 years now. I m now on a medical category T6 with the following MEL: UFS/UFA
I do not have my QL5 because due to my medical category.

Now I know that people on TCAT can get promoted either as A/L but my chain is feeding load of crap on the why they won't do it.
Can I get promoted ? if yes can somebody point me to the good QR&O or CFAO or CANFORGEN applicable so i can bring it to my chain !

Thanks guys

This thread has the ref: [I merged both threads, Bruce}  "may and provided" are the key words.  Does your MOS require QL5 as a pre-req for promotion?  You could be promoted A/L.

CFAO 49-4     

21. A Pte who has a temporary medical category that is below the MOC
requirement may be promoted to Cpl provided all other prerequisites have
been met. In the case of a Pte who has a permanent medical category that
precludes unrestricted employment, the member may, subject to NDHQ/DPCAOR
approval, be promoted to Cpl providing all other promotion prerequisites
have been met.

according to the CFAO  in the annex, looks like it is for every trade !
I was always told that the only prerequisite for LS/CPL is 4 years in !

MaxO said:
according to the CFAO  in the annex, looks like it is for every trade !
I was always told that the only prerequisite for LS/CPL is 4 years in !

That and to be qualified in a Trade.  Some Trades require at least two PCFs.

Army terminology - PCFs = Primary Combat Functions - communicator, driver (wheeled or light or heavy track course), technical courses, etc.

I m still confused i am starting to think that i might not have a case, which seem so unfair since i see everybody getting promoted either advance or on time even thought they are on medical or whitout a current express etc...

I guess i pissed somebody off !!!!

:(

MaxO said:
I m still confused i am starting to think that i might not have a case, which seem so unfair since i see everybody getting promoted either advance or on time even thought they are on medical or whitout a current express etc...

I guess i pissed somebody off !!!!

:(

What you (and many others) have to realize is that the complexity of paperwork and justification for ANY promotion goes through more than one process and chain.  Add the medical aspect (which by the way is a prerequisite for promotion) and you have even more paperwork.  A promotion isn't a right, it's earned - through lots of hard work and a clean bill of health (with regards to your trade specifications).  The only person out of adjustment on this issue is the member.  The CF has rules called CFAO's, DAOD's and QR&O's. If more CF members were to read these their situations would not necessarily improve, but at least they would be better informed and not go around with a chip on their shoulder blaming everyone they can about how badly they have it compared to "that other guy".  You, my friend, did not piss anyone off - even I could not piss that many people off...

Rant over.

MaxO said:
my trade is NAVCOMM

what does PCF mean ?

Whoa. You're NAVCOMM, yet you are UFS/UFA (Unfit Sea/Unfit Air). Sure, it's only a TCat but may end up a PCat (you'll only know that if you end up fully fit Sea/Air/full duties at the expirey of your TCat, or that any MELs which may eventually be assigned do not prevent you from performing your primary roles and functions) ... and are not yet QL5s qual'd.

They can hold off on your promotion ... the same ref's apply that I provided in my earlier response in this thread.

I find it interesting to see the number of members who think promotions are an "entitled" given -- in that they are hard sea/field trades, yet still believe they should be promoted when a medical category such as unfit sea/air/field ... outright states that they can not perform their primary function and role. Wow. The only TCat that one knows for sure they will be removed from --- is one that results from pregnancy (ergo the difference in the promotion eligibility/regulations application with that particular TCat).

First of all I would like to say that I do not think that I am entitled to a promotion. All I am asking here is other people opinions on the matter. Also I loved the fact that the last 2 poster are assuming/infering  that I feel like i am entitled.

All I am saying is that it's been done in the past and now. I actually see the messages everyday !

Also I was loaded on my 5 but taken off it without my knowledge or consent even thought my MELs did not limit my ability to attend in anyway .

It is UFS/UFA mean unfit sea/unfit alongside basically mean unfit ship at all time

MaxO said:
First of all I would like to say that I do not think that I am entitled to a promotion. All I am asking here is other people opinions on the matter. Also I loved the fact that the last 2 poster are assuming/infering  that I feel like i am entitled.

All I am saying is that it's been done in the past and now. I actually see the messages everyday !

Also I was loaded on my 5 but taken off it without my knowledge or consent even thought my MELs did not limit my ability to attend in anyway .

Neither Vern nor I assumed/inferred that you thought you were entitled.  You stated certain "facts" pertaining to your MEL and Vern gave you chapter and verse (which she does so well) regarding promotion limitations.  I myself made a general reference about " members who felt entitled" and only commented about your "pissing someone off".  

I'm glad you loved that, as Vern and I are here specifically for YOUR enjoyment.

As for being taken off your QL5's without your knowledge or consent - my question is about the superiority complex you seem to have.  Since when does your chain of command need YOUR consent? There seems to be a lack of communication on your part, and therein lies the "chip" I was speaking of...

All yours Vern!!

You seem to think that I am an OS or something, that the feeling I have in the way you are talking to me, but  i guess even if i was it wouldn't change anything.

They way I always handle buissiness in the forces and the way I always was delt with is that the member affected always has is say before any decsision is made and that is because CoC doesn't always know the whole story (even more true when on medical) only the members knows therefore should at least be told that his unit is planning on sending a NON-CONCURENCE messages. Nobody like to learn from somebody else that they were loaded on a course but that they are not anymore. EVERYBODY DESERVE AN EXPLAINATION when it come to a mbr's own career.

All yours

Back