• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medal Query about KAF

navypuke

Inactive
Reaction score
I'll be deploying to Afghanistan on Roto 9 next year and I have a few questions. Would I be awarded the SWASM or the GCS. I'm a little confused cause I know people that have gotten either medal. The GCS is awarded to people working directly for ISAF, does everyone that is deployed to KAF work for ISAF and thus get the GCS. Or are only certain people working for ISAF and all the others get the SWASM.

I'll be working on the flight line as force protection which falls under COMKAF (Commander KAF) directly; I believe I think thats under the ISAF umbrella.

Anyone know?

The majority of pers now deploying fall under the ISAF bubble. Some previous rotos have fallen under control of Operation Enduring Freedom, in which case they would be entitled to the SWASM. ISAF=GCS, unless you are in Mirage then it's a GSM I believe.

Hope this helps.

I was there this past Nov and Dec and hung out with a couple of the Flight Line security guys. (both Canadian reserve infantry)
They told me that they will be receiving the NATO Article 5 medal.  (I can also tell you they were not too pleased about it) The flight line security along with some of the folks working in the TLS are under NATO. 

The DCO of of my unit just returned from KAF working in the TLS (not sure what they did.. some J6 function) and they received the Article 5

Howdy,

sorry to hijack this topic , but I have a question regarding the NATO ISAF medal.
The Directorate of Honours and Recognition states that no Canadian citizen can wear the NATO ISAF medal, here is where my question arises: If I have received this medal during my services with a foreign military ( then not a Canadian citizen) would I be allowed to wear it, if I am a member of the CF now?

Cheers
:salute:

Dariusz said:
Howdy,

sorry to hijack this topic , but I have a question regarding the NATO ISAF medal.
The Directorate of Honours and Recognition states that no Canadian citizen can wear the NATO ISAF medal, here is where my question arises: If I have received this medal during my services with a foreign military ( then not a Canadian citizen) would I be allowed to wear it, if I am a member of the CF now? Is there a contact/authority which could help me with this situation?

Cheers
:salute:

Submit a request through your chain of command for permission to wear it.  Provide all the necessary details to show why you received the medal.

Hi,
I thought that the chain- of command would be probably the way to go, just wasn't sure if I had to involve other authorities.
Thanks for the info Michael O'Leary !

You know whats funny about that NATO article 5 medal. The HMCS Ville De Quebec recieve both the NATO AR5 and the SWASM for the same deployment just last fall to Somalia. But I think it was a two part mission because, 1. they were sailing with a NATO fleet, 2. They were in SW asia (sort of). My buddy got snagged at the last second and got two medals out of it the bugger. Not sure if thats a possibility here.

Off topic how were those FLS guys Piperdown, did they like there job. I'm talking to a naval reserve there right now. The navy fills 8 spots there and she said it can be really exciting but mostly boring and the worst parts are you see all the medevac's coming in.

PiperDown said:
who said anything about the NATO ISAF medal?  I mentioned the NATO article 5 medal.. (which we can and do get awarded/wear)

We can get awarded it, but not for Afghanistan: http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/chart-tableau-eng.asp?ref=NATO_Non_Art5_Balkans It's only for serving in the Balkans, or at least in our Honours Chart that's what you wear it for. If it was going to be offered to people, rest assured DH&R would be all over it to make sure the proper medals were being handed out.

Navypuke: Could the VdQ have changed missions partway through their tour? Op Altair was the SW Asia support to Afghanistan, but if they got retasked to Somalia for the NATO Fleet then they could earn both medals the same way the pers involved in the Kabul to Kandahar move got the SWASM and GCS.

PuckChaser said:
We can get awarded it, but not for Afghanistan: http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/chart-tableau-eng.asp?ref=NATO_Non_Art5_Balkans It's only for serving in the Balkans, or at least in our Honours Chart that's what you wear it for. If it was going to be offered to people, rest assured DH&R would be all over it to make sure the proper medals were being handed out.

Navypuke: Could the VdQ have changed missions partway through their tour? Op Altair was the SW Asia support to Afghanistan, but if they got retasked to Somalia for the NATO Fleet then they could earn both medals the same way the pers involved in the Kabul to Kandahar move got the SWASM and GCS.

The link you gave was for the NON-Article 5.  I am referring to the ARTICLE 5.  Those are two different gongs all together.

I'll be working on the flight line as force protection which falls under COMKAF

[/quote]

ComKAF = GCS, they may also give you a NATO certificate of appreciation since we do not receive the Art5 medal for this mission unlike the rest of the forces that work for ComKAF.

Nato certificate of appreciation! sounds interesting. how come were the only nation that doesn't get the NATO arc 5. Is it because we have our own medal and the other nations don't. Or do these other nations get their own national medals plus the nato medal

Many nations get two medals, I received a German ISAF medal and one from NATO. As far as I can remember some Norwegians and Croats received 2 medals too.

navypuke said:
Nato certificate of appreciation! sounds interesting. how come were the only nation that doesn't get the NATO arc 5. Is it because we have our own medal and the other nations don't. Or do these other nations get their own national medals plus the nato medal

The Canadian Honours policy prohibits the award of "foreign" medals where an equivalent Canadian award exists. ALL Canadians serving within KAF (under ISAF), regardless of their duties, will receive either the GSM (civilians) or GCS. In the event that the person serves outside of the ISAF mission, then the appropriate award is given (ie: the SWASM for OEF).

When I look for the NATO article 5 on that website, the only missions it talks about are sailing with STAN NATO fleet and air operations it doesn't mention anything about afghanistan.

Is this medal envy per chance that's causing the angst?  You'll be getting a medal, be it a gong or a throwing star,  but does it really matter other than it being representative of your service at KAF?  Why worry about that - I'd think that getting to the mission area, doing the job and getting home should be first and foremost on your mind, not what they'll be pinning on your chest.  You'll have a chance to worry about that buddy of yours being one up on you afterwards  ;).

Take it easy.

MM

I have not had one person yet, interested in my tour, ask about what medal I've received.

Those who are prone to medal envy don't wait to be asked.    ;)

PiperDown said:
The link you gave was for the NON-Article 5.  I am referring to the ARTICLE 5.  Those are two different gongs all together.

Good catch, I think I should wait till after PT to post, then I'm at least awake!

Back