• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medal citations

bick

Reaction score
Does anyone had a book which lists the names and citations of WW1 Military Medal (MM) winners?  A relative of mine earned one in WW1, but no one knows why.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if there's a single volume listing all of the First World War Military Medal citations, but this may help:

Research at Library and Archives Canada
Military Medals

http://www.genealogy.gc.ca/10/100908_e.html

For information about medal entitlements, replacements and citations, contact the appropriate office:

Korean, First and Second World Wars:

Honours and Awards Section
Veterans Affairs Canada
66 Slater Street
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0P4

bick said:
Does anyone had a book which lists the names and citations of WW1 Military Medal (MM) winners?  A relative of mine earned one in WW1, but no one knows why.

Thanks in advance.

Periodic awards often did not come with citations, at least in the Second World War.  Not sure if the practice was different in WW I.  There were a LOT of medals distributed - the Tenth Battalion won 60 MMs for the Battle of Hill 70 alone.  Awards were much more common in the First World War than in the Second.  Given that many Second World War awards were not distributed with citations, I find it possible that it was the same for First World War awards.

Hopefully I am wrong in your case - good luck.

When the Military Medal was first instituted, a full citation appeared in the London Gazette, but when the lists began to reach 100 or more, the Gazette just carried an entry that "The King is pleased to award..." with the long list of names attached.

In some cases (in my experience very few) you might find a citation in the personnel file of the individual. But in almost all cases, the file just carries the issue number and date of the London Gazette.

You might find his name on the London Gazette on-line data base:-

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/index.asp?webType=0

or if he was in the CEF,  in the National Archives of Canada World War I personnel records.

I have a book which lists the Canadian MM winners in WWI.  Citations are harder to find.  You can also view the War Diaries on-line and if you are really, really lucky, you might find something out.  Give me his name and regimental number or unit, and I will help you out.

Back