• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medal and Awards Research

My girlfriend has obtained her grandfather's service medals from WW2 and there was a Canadian General Service pin in the box as well. On the back there is a 6 digit serial number and I was wondering if this is his service number. In some articles I've found they state this number correlates to release/discharge paperwork, but they weren't clear. Anyone know if this is supposed to be the member's service number?

Thanks.

2010newbie said:
My girlfriend has obtained her grandfather's service medals from WW2 and there was a Canadian General Service pin in the box as well. On the back there is a 6 digit serial number and I was wondering if this is his service number. In some articles I've found they state this number correlates to release/discharge paperwork, but they weren't clear. Anyone know if this is supposed to be the member's service number?

Thanks.

No. it is not the member's service number.  The pins were individually numbered, and the soldier's discharge papers would note what number pin he was issued.

ArmyVern said:
I wasn't aware that they were awarded for deaths occuring after the War ... but perhaps the case is that your grandfather's death was ruled to be caused by the injuries he sustained in that War??

The website doesn't explain WWII conditions but I suspect it relates to death from a pensionable injury.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group09

The changes will affect Veterans of the Korean War and Veterans with Special Duty Area service from 1950 to October 6, 2001 who were living as of December 12, 2008. As of this date, these Veterans can now designate any two individuals to receive a Memorial Cross in the event their subsequent death is ruled to be as a result of a pensioned condition from this service.

When someone outlives the vast majority of his peers things get strange. 

Michael O'Leary said:
No. it is not the member's service number.  The pins were individually numbered, and the soldier's discharge papers would note what number pin he was issued.

I stand corrected - thought he was talking of the medals.

MM

Back